are there any autobox software upgrades?

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Hi All,
Sorry to bore you again with Mercedes E211 270CDI 2004 autobox questions,
I started a thread a few weeks ago regarding my E211 with 27,000mls holding on to its gears when on the 1st start of the day (cold) at that time a few of you informed me this is normal as it helps getting the engine temp up for the cats etc, at the time I took it to my local dealer who checked the gearbox oil and said all was ok and this was normal, I was wondering if there has ever been any autobox software upgrades for my model?, its just that I live on a hill and as I leave my drive I have to go uphill and for the 1st 500yds or so the car just does'nt change gear until it doing 3000rpm sometimes even with light throttle openings,would changing the autobox oil help?. Or is there any way to make the car think it is up to temperature, rather than letting it tickover for 5mins beforehand?, the only thing is I am a little worried leaving it ticking over without being in it as it could get stolen, and I dont like sitting waiting in a cold car, catch 22 eh, any advise would be greatly appreciated.;)
Thanks for taking the time to read this drivel but its driving me crazy.:x
Alfie B

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If your car has the 722.6 box then there is no update or change possible.

You could try forcing it out of the hold with the touch shift and easing the throttle slightly at the same time

DougCLK320

Reaction score
Why's it a problem that the engine revs a bit on a cold morning going up a hill. This is what MB have programmed the g'box to do under these conditions. I don't see is as an issue to be concerned about - just drive the car as it is designed to be used...
Doug

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Why's it a problem that the engine revs a bit on a cold morning going up a hill. This is what MB have programmed the g'box to do under these conditions. I don't see is as an issue to be concerned about - just drive the car as it is designed to be used...
Doug

Its not so much an issue as an annoyance if you,ve ever heard a five cylinder diesel doing 3k rpm icy cold its enough to wake the dead at 6am.also I dont like revving cold engines.
regards
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
If your car has the 722.6 box then there is no update or change possible.

You could try forcing it out of the hold with the touch shift and easing the throttle slightly at the same time

Hi Malcolm,
I did try to use the touch shift but it did,nt want to know unfortunately, thanks for your valued input once again.;)
Alfie B

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,
I did try to use the touch shift but it did,nt want to know unfortunately, thanks for your valued input once again.;)
Alfie B

When my car locks up,, all hills where I live and 3 miles of them, I knock the stick several time and it will release the hold, if I ease the throttle at the same time, even try taking it down to first and then knock it up

You could try the alternative setting ie W or S as the change points are not the same in both

DougCLK320

Reaction score
Its not so much an issue as an annoyance if you,ve ever heard a five cylinder diesel doing 3k rpm icy cold its enough to wake the dead at 6am.also I dont like revving cold engines.
regards
Alfie B

Ah, I see....
Ear plugs?
No, seriously, I didn't realise you were talking diesel (should have read the first posting properly) and I think 3k rpm does seem a bit high in a CDi - probably equivalent to something like 4.5k rpm in a petrol engine (in comparison to the red line).
Can you not force it into a higher gear by using it in "C" and holding the gear selector to the right.
Doug

Last edited:
OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Hi Doug,
I did try using the comfort setting but it just does much the same when cold , but it does alter as soon as it warms up it pulls away in second gear in C and 1st gear in S, I think I will send the wife out to sit in it for 5 mins to warm it up for me he he.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
regards
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
When my car locks up,, all hills where I live and 3 miles of them, I knock the stick several time and it will release the hold, if I ease the throttle at the same time, even try taking it down to first and then knock it up

You could try the alternative setting ie W or S as the change points are not the same in both

I will give that a try Malcolm and let you know how I get on, failing that I will coax the wife into warming it up for me he he.:rolleyes:
Alfie B

DougCLK320

Reaction score
I will give that a try Malcolm and let you know how I get on, failing that I will coax the wife into warming it up for me he he.:rolleyes:
Alfie B
Failing that, you could always move to Lincolnshire (or Holland) and let the missus have a lie-in...
Doug

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some of these post make me realize that there can be advantages of having a partner, :(

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
not sure if its the same 'box as in my w210, but mine is stuck in w mode. it only has W and S, no C, but i imagine the principle is the same, and if you use W, unless you're quite heavy footed, the box will ignore the fact that 1st gear exists! id try that before anything more expensive!

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
not sure if its the same 'box as in my w210, but mine is stuck in w mode. it only has W and S, no C, but i imagine the principle is the same, and if you use W, unless you're quite heavy footed, the box will ignore the fact that 1st gear exists! id try that before anything more expensive!

Hi it does alter in Comfort mode, it starts off in 2nd gear and if I use Standard mode it sets off in 1st, I did try changing manually as Malcolm suggested and it does work if you are light footed, so I will practice manually changing when cold and that should satisfy me:cool:.
Thanks for your input.
Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
The easy way to test the switch is to stop on a steep hill.

It should or could roll back in S but cannot if W selected.

Try this,,I know nothing about this,some says it works

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1387073-post-graduate-education-your-22-6x.html

Hi Again Malcolm,
Thankyou for the link(clever stuff eh) I am going to give this a try as soon as I have time and I will let you know how it goes, what the hell was wrong with the old 3 speed GM or Borg Warner boxes,:confused::rolleyes:they tended to last the life of the engine out.
Thanks again for your advise.:D
ooh and our Carol said I should get a engine heater coz theres no way she will be sitting in a cold car on a frosty morning, women eh cant understand em.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Again Malcolm,
Thankyou for the link(clever stuff eh) I am going to give this a try as soon as I have time and I will let you know how it goes, what the hell was wrong with the old 3 speed GM or Borg Warner boxes,:confused::rolleyes:they tended to last the life of the engine out.
Thanks again for your advise.:D
ooh and our Carol said I should get a engine heater coz theres no way she will be sitting in a cold car on a frosty morning, women eh cant understand em.

You can fit a pre heater to your car, and use is before you go Carol singing

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
You can fit a pre heater to your car, and use is before you go Carol singing

He He, I think its Carol who needs the pre heater these days (although she used to be hot Once!!.).:rolleyes:

Alfie B

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom