Engine & gearbox replacement.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Oh no !....The engine on my 1999 Vito 108D has expired after 10 long years of hard work and 600k + miles . It sounds like a bucket full of nails just about everything on the engine is protesting now and the gear box is shot as well . The vehicle is still in good overall condition so have decide to fit a fully reconned engine and gearbox rather than replace the vehicle as finance deals are hard to get and interest charges are to high for my liking so my question is :

Does anyone know of a reputable engine/gearbox remanufacturer that can supply/fit . I've been given one name of IVOR SEARLE who are somewhere in Cambridgeshire .Does anybody know of them or any others .

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
600,000 miles is pretty damn impressive for a transmission, let alone an engine :)

What's wrong with the engine though? You might find it cheaper still to get it pulled to bits, it might only be the top of the engine.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
600,000 miles is pretty damn impressive for a transmission, let alone an engine :)

What's wrong with the engine though? You might find it cheaper still to get it pulled to bits, it might only be the top of the engine.

Down time is the factor here , better for replace and go . So many mechanical noises coming from engine it's a job to tell .Gait is badly worn on on gearbox as is selectors and whining too and the clutch is just about finished too .

This vehicle has never really gone cold since the day I drove it out of the showroom and has been serviced on the dot ever since .It still has the original steering rack although the steering and suspension joints have been replaced several times and the wheel bearings are still all the original ones .Road springs and shocks have been replaced only once , oh and one complete exhaust replaced back in January . Not bad eh!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You could use any 601 engine from a car

meanie

Reaction score
Ivor Searle are good.
Also try VEGE http://www.vegeuk.com/Product Range/
As downtime is an issue,check how complete the engine comes to you before ordering,as I've been caught out in the past even with the better end of the market such as these.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Ivor Searle are good.
Also try VEGE http://www.vegeuk.com/Product Range/
As downtime is an issue,check how complete the engine comes to you before ordering,as I've been caught out in the past even with the better end of the market such as these.

Thanks for the info guys remanufactured long engine and cylinder head ordered should arrive next week and also spoke to local gearbox remanufacture so will replace the lot . Gearbox will be my own reconned. Job for the Easter weekend I think .I'll keep you posted on this ,it's going to be much cheaper than replacing the vehicle plus I would be paying another £10k on top for the taxi conversion .The vehicle is still in good order with another 5 years left on use (as a licensed taxi).

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom