Is my Sprinter 310D low powered or normal ?

ipop

Reaction score
Hi,

First post here.

Just moved over to a Sprinter from an LDV Convoy and it is certainly more comfortable :D Also never realised that vans have heaters too !

My question relates to power.

It is a 98 model with 270k on the clock but very clean.

It has a Luton body

It only seems to manage about 55mph even empty and loaded even a slight hill has it down to 40mph.

I though it may be just the fact it is an old van with high mileage and the the Luton box act as a huge sail, but when out I contsytantly have other Sprinter Lutons flying past me.

It does not have a rev counter so at the moment I am not sure what max revs are.

It does look as though the turbo was changed fairly recently though not by me.

Is it best to get it hooked up to a diagnostic machine or is there anything I can check first ? If so can anyone recommend an indie in Norfolk.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Regards,

Ian

S

steve--o

hi
i was also an ldv man ie 2.5 turbo peguet engine.

when i bought my 310d i was expecting,vast performance diffrences,didnt happen,sprinter cranked up 90 mph,ldv just under 80 mph.

sprinter more comfey but for the money yer can buy 3 second hand ldv,s for the price of one secondhand 310d

plus ver not worrying abought parts prices & fly by wire pumps !

ive hired a luton 310 and it 55 mph foot down,maybe a 312 is better ? but the 310,s didnt do it for me

steve

OP
I

ipop

Reaction score
Hi Steve ,
Thanks for that.

So maybe my Sprinter is OK then , just blooming slow !

Problem I had with LDV WAS the fly by wire pump as it kept tripping out into limp home mode and drove me nuts !

Cheers,

Ian

Alan42

Reaction score
Hi, I also have a 310D, P reg, and it has that sort of lack of performance - it's in limp home mode. I've spent hours on the net on different forums, and found that there are two probable causes of this that will cut the power without showing the EDC light - the needle lift sensor on the No.1 injector and the MAP sensor on the intercooler pipe just inside the bonnet. The needle lift sensor tells the ECU the exact moment when injection starts and the ECU alters the pump timing via a solenoid in the pump. This is why a faulty injector often causes the engine to smoke, because without the needle lift signal the timing may be out. I have been trying to find out a way to test the nedle lift sensor, the best answer I can find is that it should show a resistance of 950 ohms. I repaired mine by re-soldering the wires after removing the steel bar and plastic plate, then using a cheap code reader to clear the codes, I got proper performance briefly but I wouldn't think this would be reliable. The best price I have found for a new injector is £220 plus VAT, Orwell Trucks wanted £400. If ever I can afford this and get the van on the road I will keep you posted. You can check the MAP sensor with it in place by checking the voltage at the connectors: one end is ground, the other should be +5v, the middle one should vary with turbo pressure, up to about 4.5v. Other things that can give poor performance include a faulty turbo or a wastegate stuck open or a faulty EGR valve. The problem with all of this is that even if you fix the fault the ECU may retain the fault codes and keep you in limp home mode. I am told that you can clear codes by disconnecting the battery overnight, but in my case I also had to clear them with the code reader - I bought a U581 with Sprinter adapter on ebay for under £100. It doesn't read the codes, but seems to clear them until you either switch the engine off or disconnect the reader. I'm in Norfolk too. I hope this is of some interest, Alan

pdn1

Reaction score
ive got a 310 2.9 mwb whitch flies sprinter by name sprinter by nature its done 137k and had a ton+ no problem

OP
I

ipop

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I will have to have a dabble and check that sensor voltage.

Sounds like booking it in to Orwell will right the van off cost wise !!

Thanks also pdn1, sounds like you have a good one !

pdn1

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I will have to have a dabble and check that sensor voltage.

Sounds like booking it in to Orwell will right the van off cost wise !!

Thanks also pdn1, sounds like you have a good one !

no bud its got other issuses

S

steve--o

i luv mercs,but when mine goes wrong,even the dog gets depressed .;)

mi 190d headgaskets just gone,i nurse the car,its 20 years old runs like new,oil change every 3k,and what happens !
the fizzin head gasket does one, :mad::(then i come on here and sombody tells mi the head might be porus (the car !not mine :mrgreen:)
cheers
from steve in a rainey Almeria spain :cool:

Kenn310D

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 310d LWB (not luton body) with over 300k miles and she will still get up over 85mph higher if you'd want. I have had the injector problem that Alan is talking about. I went to a scrap yard with a voltometer and checked each injector. When I found one that was reading between 950 and 1050 ohms I bought it, had it fitted and van was like new. Hope this helps. Getting the diagnostics read is a must. Hope it works out

banjodinky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sprinter 310d
my 310d was a real flyer but this last week it has started struggling up hills but otherwise is fine. it's a Wb plate with 210k on it

banjodinky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sprinter 310d
Problem sorted. It was the vacuum pipe off at the back of the throttle body:)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom