Classic Insurance

Craneboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lancia Delta Intergale EVO 2, 95 e320 Coupe, 06 Honda Accord Exec Tourer, 03 Clio
Hi,
Whose doing the best classic insurance deals at the moment.

Ta

Tony

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,
Whose doing the best classic insurance deals at the moment. Tony

I would look at Lancaster because of the very comprehensive nature of their policy (includes recovery and European rescue) on an agreed mileage.

Not cheap though and I chose to switch my SL onto a multi car policy with Admiral rather than separate Classic insurance - largely on the basis I did not think that a write off would be likely. Sadly, on cars of market value less than £10K, perhaps a write off is all too likely, but you have to balance an "agreed price" for write off (with a high premium), against "market value" for a write off (but a more affordable premium).

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Admiral do me well.

Multi car policy both 7500 miles max per year, both gaining full NCB when signing up (one car only had 2 years ncb) for around £300 fully comp. Saved me £250 over original two policies.

Will ask about adding Merc when up for renewal.

Diggers

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
Not cheap though and I chose to switch my SL onto a multi car policy with Admiral rather than separate Classic insurance -

Alex, do you get good service from them, have you had to make a claim?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not cheap though and I chose to switch my SL onto a multi car policy with Admiral rather than separate Classic insurance - Alex, do you get good service from them, have you had to make a claim?

No claims so far - so difficult to say.

Their administration is very good though. Usually the various cars in a household will have different insurance anniversaries. Multicar lets you start with the first car that needs reinsurance, then picks up the others as their cover expires, charging only what it takes to cover them to the anniversary of your first car - then they are all aligned on the same date.

I hope never to be able to tell you about their claims service!

popuptoaster

Reaction score
I wouldnt have a classic on a non specific agreed value classic policy, it causes all sorts of grief if you ever need to claim for it, you'll be lumbered with book value which will just be "old banger" price whatever you told them it was worth, you wont get decent repair options etc etc.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
It is agreed value other wise I would not entertain it . ,There is a need to supply photo's of sides, front/rear interior and engine and verification of mileage .

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is agreed value other wise I would not entertain it . ,There is a need to supply photo's of sides, front/rear interior and engine and verification of mileage .

I think £240 is a really good price for that QS. I had a similar policy with Lancaster but it had moved gently up to over £400 per year. It did however include continental breakdown, recovery and accident insurance and was a very comprehensive policy.

I agree with popuptoaster about the risks of only being given "market value" on an ordinary policy, and that presumably reduces radically the price at which they will "write the car off". So a passenger airbag deployment, for example, might be curtains!

So I guess I am "self insuring" to some extent and just banking on a very low likelihood of serious conflict or write off.

roscoc180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350 black/blue-2004
I'm thinking about my insurance at the moment, just had a quote through for my toyota landcruiser due on the 18th of the month 6 yrs no claims(£308.00). I am looking to replace my c240s with an sl500 in the next few weeks and will need my no claims for that. Admiral quoted £730 for both. Good-Bad??

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm thinking about my insurance at the moment, just had a quote through for my toyota landcruiser due on the 18th of the month 6 yrs no claims(£308.00). I am looking to replace my c240s with an sl500 in the next few weeks and will need my no claims for that. Admiral quoted £730 for both. Good-Bad??

I have the 3 on my address (top right) on for £760. You might try using that info to see if they will drop a bit? IIRC someone else on the Forum is with Admiral and pays less than I do (worth trying a search).

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
I was with Adrian Flux on both Capri's last year (and the year before that after leaving the Capri Club linked broker who went through the roof) but the renewal quote was £250 for the first one and over £300 for the second (a month later).

I got a quote from the only company at the time that did multi car (trader's insurance is a nightmare and, for me, not worth considering when my resto projects are actually now locked up), which was Admiral.

So for £300 I got both cars insured on one policy.

RANT - They should insure the person and not the car - END RANT

Diggers

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
I think £240 is a really good price for that QS. I had a similar policy with Lancaster but it had moved gently up to over £400 per year. It did however include continental breakdown, recovery and accident insurance and was a very comprehensive policy.

I agree with popuptoaster about the risks of only being given "market value" on an ordinary policy, and that presumably reduces radically the price at which they will "write the car off". So a passenger airbag deployment, for example, might be curtains!

So I guess I am "self insuring" to some extent and just banking on a very low likelihood of serious conflict or write off.

My business membership of the RAC covers recovery and breakdown of any vehicle that I own or travelling in so don't need all the extras .If I travel abroad I allways hire when I get there as its a lot less hassle and usually something built like a brick sh++house to be on the safe side.

geoffreyw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200K Auto/Tiptonic Avantgarde
One for the oldies. My comprehensive insurance with Saga for me and wife, including glass, excess £300, 6000 mls max, is £147.

CLK 200 Kompressor Auto/Tiptonic Avantgarde Xreg Nov 2000, 62000 miles. Merc F/S/H
Silver with two-tone blue leather.

OP
C

Craneboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lancia Delta Intergale EVO 2, 95 e320 Coupe, 06 Honda Accord Exec Tourer, 03 Clio
E320 Coupe Insurance

Hi,
Adrian Flux came up trumps, £207 agreed value, with all the bits and pieces with european cover, which is really good.
One thing i would say is do not ring these "compare the market .com" wasters, thats if you dont want the non stop phone chase up calls over the next 24-48 hrs.
Had been with Flux for the past 4 out of the past 5 years and seem pretty good.

Thanks for all your input

Tony

roscoc180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350 black/blue-2004
Does anyone know how much difference there is if you are a member of the mercedes club, a few companies have asked me this to qualify for a discount.

Cheers:cool:

OP
C

Craneboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Owners club insurance discount

I think it does reduce slightly, not sure how much though, maybe 10-15% which would amount to a nice little reduction.

Tony

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Chris Knott Insurance Brokers

Insured my 500SEL fully comp for about £140.

The S Class 320 is fully comp with one other mature driver and excess of only £200, plus overseas cover for £356.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom