W140 Lamination

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Why is it that the S Class series, old and W140 seem to have rear screen lamination problems. In the case of my W140 the milky way runs right along the bottom of the screen and especailly at the corners. On my former 500SEL (10 years oldr) it was only at the corners. Also, I notice that the Windscreen on the W140 has similar bottom deterioration.

Is this problem specific to Mercedes cars in general or just certain years of manufacture. Can't recall any other car I owned having the same problem.
Don't expect it of a quality car. Is it crap German glazing?

Has Mercedes sorted it for owners of more modern marques.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I've noticed this has started on the rear window of my W140 as well.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Its where the water settles!! hit it with a hammer pay teh £50 excess and get a new rear screen.

jib

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Its where the water settles!! hit it with a hammer pay teh £50 excess and get a new rear screen.

jib

Find a friendly windscreen fitter and don't pay any excess.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Apart from damp creeping in there is a different expansion rate on the steep curves, this can cause the laminations to separate adding to the moisture problem

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Find a friendly windscreen fitter and don't pay any excess.

I don't have the attributes to negotiate a freebie!

It's certainly not necessary to use a blunt instrument as someone I know (he lies) thought he could push back a piece of trim under a certain French car windscreen only to watch to his dismay a three inch crack crawl up the screen. £600 replacement anyone and the first three that the installers had delivered to them, were all duff.

Wouldn't be right to v*ndal*se the rear screen and I would be reluctant to have either front or rear replaced unless absolutely necessary. Too much bother and on wet days replacements don't always go according to plan. A leaky replacement would be a nightmare. Couple with this I've got a couple of bullet holes in the front screen which could go at any time.

Rear milky way is not easily seen as rear screen dives under boot lid. If I was particularly worried by the look of it, I'd probably put some sort of black tape (sun deflector) externally along the bottom to conceal. I know i'm a cheapskate but its that post-war mend it philosophy. Can't get it out of my head even though my offspring all rant at my cheapness ( whilst in the words of Alan Sugar) they P*ss my money up the wall!

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Apart from damp creeping in there is a different expansion rate on the steep curves, this can cause the laminations to separate adding to the moisture problem

Yes this sound plausable. So does it mean that all Mercedes and other cars suffer by reason of the design of the glass these days? After what period of time?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes this sound plausable. So does it mean that all Mercedes and other cars suffer by reason of the design of the glass these days? After what period of time?

Modern car design has done away with these large curves, all Facel vega HK500 and the excellence went really bad.

Why not have some black window tinting fitted on the out side, you would never notice it

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
The curves really aren't that great.

Looking at Facel Vega's on line, I didn't notice similar milkiness. Presumeably 50's American cars would also have suffered from the same problem. I do wonder if in fact it has more to do with the way the glass is sandwiched these days. In those older cars they would surely just crack and didn't have the lamination of today?

Anyway, yes a strip along the bottom will suffice if I get around to it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was the fronts on the Facels that went, you can have wires in a laminated screens, but not in a toughened one, think that I am correct there

Setanta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140
Have a look along the bottom front of the windshield too (pop the bonnet and lift the wipers) and you may find some more.

Very common on the W140 and C140's....almost inevitable I would say.

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Have a look along the bottom front of the windshield too (pop the bonnet and lift the wipers) and you may find some more.

Very common on the W140 and C140's....almost inevitable I would say.

Don't doubt you are right although it has yet to appear above the front lower trim level on my windscreen.

Inevitable, is an interesting word - Who has a more recent car than 96 showing similar signs? Be interesting to see approximately how long it takes for the rot to start on typical Mercedes glass, and is there a solution Mercedes should/are considering?

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
My 97 SLK had a badly de laminated windscreen, according to Autoglass (the people who fitted the replacement) it was dangerous, because it is the lamination that holds the glass together in an impact.
He would not do the screen at my house, I had to drive to their depot to have it done.

Setanta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140
I've seen delamination on cars as late as 1998 (coupe and sedans)

None on mine at the moment (there was on my last one which was a 1996)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For anyone trying to seal their screen in the rubbers, the transparent sealers sold are useless, the black LOCTITE super flex is the best

C

C180 Chris

Both of my Mercs are showing signs of this, the C180 (W202) has it on the bottom of the windscreen and the S320 (W140) has it on both front and back screens although it is to a small degree on both vehicles.

All the best,

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Any sealant used to try and seal the edge of the glass/rubber is very short lived unless a proper primer is used.
someone mentioned about very old cars not suffering from cloudy laminated glass, think that was because it was toughened and not laminated.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom