Uk? English? Scottish? Law on speeding?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, hope everyone is enjoying their motoring, does anyone know the law on speeding with reference to the time factor from detection to being served with the summons? i was once told that in the england side of the uk the summons must be served within fourteen days, and scotland can be up to six months? i have just covered a 600 mile trip from preston in lancashire to the isle of bute in scotland, the M8 is littered with the average speed cameras and every bridge where the M6 approaches the M74 has the council lazer van parked on it. i tried to avoid all of this but due to the saturation i may have missed one. basically i want to know how long one has to wait to see if the stealth money grabbing snipers have got me? i drive curteously and crawl near schools and other obvious areas, but out on the motorways on the high moors, beatock etc, you can , or should i say used to be able to go a bit. in england if you are pulled for a speed in excess of 100 mph you are arresred and you leave your car, same as drink driving, in scotland this is not the case, speeding not drink driving. i was followed for 8 miles some years ago by the scottish police just north of carlisle, they used binnoculars and vascar, i was taken before the procurator fiscal in dumfries for averaging 132 mph, the coppers said i was driving carefully and road conditions were good. i had a barrister at £450, letters from my place of employment, wife's doctor, etc. i was fined £550 and banned for 3 months, apparantly the barrister saved me from a 6 or 12 months ban, suprisingly no points on my licence,you do not get points with a ban. i informed my insurance company and then all our cars were not insured from midnight that day. just think if i had been on the autobahn in germany non of this would have happened. i hate drink drivers and drivers who speed in built up areas etc. but unfortunately in uk we are all tarred with the same brush and you cannot ignore the motivation the authorities have with the revenues generated from speeding. herbiemercman.

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Hi

14 days is required in all of the UK. Road traffic law is UK wide, not dependent on England & Wales, being different from Scotland and NI.

How fast were you going? The M74 has the highest average speed of an MWAY in the UK with the average speed being above 70mph. This echo's my experience with that road and you can easily travel safely well above 100mph for most of the time and realistically average 95mph from the border to the outskirts of Glasgow on a quiet day.

Given this, I doubt if you were doing less than 90mph you'd here from them, they'll have bigger fish to fry. Remember, your speedo will always over read and you may not have been travelling as fast as you thought.

Also with your past conviction I sincerely hope you aren't caught doing above 100mph, as the punishment this time certainly won't be so linient. At night time I don't think the use the money van as tracking a car would be harder.

I get the impression you do drive quite fast, be careful as the p*** love collecting your money....

Did you enjoy the Isle of Bute. There sure are some good roads to drive on, you should have PM'd me as I am in the West Coast of Scotland

lulu

Reaction score
I believe they are required to send you a Notice of Intended Prosecuction within 14 days. This is not the same as a summons. They may do nothing further, or, they may then continue. I'm not sure but I believe they've then got a further 6 months for a summons once the NIP has been issued.

stuartmac

Reaction score
Hi,

required to send you a Notice of Intended Prosecuction within 14 days.
The NIP's supposed to be issuedwithin 14 days of the offence. They're usually sent 2nd class post, so you could be looking at 19? days from the date of the offence before you get it.

Then, when I working in a local solicitor's office, they were defending a couple who were using the DWWD (Dunno Who Was Driving, aka The Hamilton) defence; apart from everything else, the NIP hadn't been issued 'til something like 40 days after the offence. :eek:

The beaks were being particularly nasty with the couple (dunno why, it wasn't anything particularly heinous like a couple of chavs in a rusty Fester at 100mph past a school at kicking-out time) and the beaks kept wanting to ignore all the CPS's procedural failings seemingly just so they could put the couple on the rack. :( The defence solicitor had to be very firm but the couple eventually got the verdict they should've had no later than the start of the day. :roll:

I believe they've then got a further 6 months for a summons once the NIP has been issued.
Again, issue of the summons is supposed to be no later than 6 months from the date of the offence.

Btw, another little wrinkle, certainly with NIP and possibly with summonses also (long time since I got one ;) ), is it/they aren't sent out recorded delivery or similar. So, if you don't get it, tough, that it was sent by a 'government department' means non-delivery is your problem. :evil:

Hth.

Regards,

Top Bottom