Detachable Tow Bar > W209 CLK ?

fbmills

Reaction score
Now I have a CLK the problem arises about how to take a couple of bicycles to places far from home , whereas previously I used to chuck the bikes in the back of my C estate .

I can actually wedge my bike into the CLK but there are two of us here to consider , and my thoughts have turned to a tow-bar mounted bike carrier ( no , I don't like them either , but the 'need' is there and a roof system carrier horrifies me as does a universal spidery hook and strap system about the boot area ) .

A detachable tow-bar appears to be the way to go , but which one ? Is there anything else out there that might be recommended other than the Witter ? Are they easy to fit ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well at least you do not have to worry about any wiring, the detachable bar is easy to fit,,not for AMG bodied cars

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Now I have a CLK the problem arises about how to take a couple of bicycles to places far from home , whereas previously I used to chuck the bikes in the back of my C estate .

I can actually wedge my bike into the CLK but there are two of us here to consider , and my thoughts have turned to a tow-bar mounted bike carrier ( no , I don't like them either , but the 'need' is there and a roof system carrier horrifies me as does a universal spidery hook and strap system about the boot area ) .

A detachable tow-bar appears to be the way to go , but which one ? Is there anything else out there that might be recommended other than the Witter ? Are they easy to fit ?

Ride the bikes and tow the car. :rolleyes:

You will get really fit, and the mpg will be good too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ride the bikes and tow the car. :rolleyes:

You will get really fit, and the mpg will be good too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Will you please give us a demo Alex the next time that we meet;);)

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I've not fitted one to the 209 but in years gone bye have tried all 3 types.
The towbar one is the best IMO.
Have seen some good reports on the Thule.
You will need a 7 pin connector for the light board.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Towbars have to meet a minimum European standard .... Witter are no better or worse than any other .............. Brink make OEM MB bars, and they do a nice range in Swanneck detachables .......which would be completly useless for mounting a bike carrier

What you need is a flangeball type .. the one with 2 bolts holding the ball in place, this is whats used to attach the cycle carrier ................ so your towbar will be on permanant, display.

OP
F

fbmills

Reaction score
Towbars have to meet a minimum European standard .... Witter are no better or worse than any other .............. Brink make OEM MB bars, and they do a nice range in Swanneck detachables .......which would be completly useless for mounting a bike carrier

What you need is a flangeball type .. the one with 2 bolts holding the ball in place, this is whats used to attach the cycle carrier ................ so your towbar will be on permanant, display.

No , have done some browsing , and things appear to have moved on some as Thule and others appear not to be fazed by swan-necks at all and declare that they're as kosher as any other tow-ball for clamping their carriers to .

Thanks for the pointer to Brink . I didn't know they were the oem people for Merc' towbars . But I can't seem to find a supplier in the UK for some reason or other . The Brink web-site appears to be down and / or they don't list a W209 option seemingly , despite the handbook listing a detachable towbar . Odd .

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Thule own Brink ...... so make your own mind up when going for a Swanneck, you wish to use for add ons ............. There is adapters available fro swannecks so you can bolt on a bike carrier ......... but I don't reccomend them.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I had a Bosal removable on an Audi and it was very good.
Towed a trailer with it, never used it for the bike rack but I'm sure it would have been fine.

OP
F

fbmills

Reaction score
Thanks all for 'links' and general encouragement .

Interestingly , Bosal don't appear to cater for the W209 CLK chassis . Their pdf's cover coupe's upto 2002 and cabriolet only . Their ebay ad's similarly . The only affirmative fixture for the W209 appears to be the Witter option , as I can't nail down anything else with Brink and Bosal .

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
There are plenty ..... are you going to fit yourself .or get a pro on the job !

Bumper off for W209 .......... and you lose the bumper inner ........... it's replaced with the bar though.

paulieboy

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES CLK240
cLK TOWBAR FOR CYCLE CARRIER

Don't make the mistake I made by using a boot lid 2 cycle carrier, I now have dents in my boot lid and chipped paint where the carrier straps attach to the boot lid. A very costly experience.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom