ML 270 handling

David P

Reaction score
Just got this car - had it a week.

Only wondering, the suspension is a bit prone to wallowing about in corners. Is this normal or is it me? I thought it would have been a bit tighter...

Answers on the back of a used fiver please!

David

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270

Only wondering, the suspension is a bit prone to wallowing about in corners. Is this normal or is it me? I thought it would have been a bit tighter...

David
Hi Dave & welcome to the forum, this is a difficult one
"Just got this car"
you've actually just got a 2 1/4 ton for wheel drive that will tow four tons
what might you be comparing it to
for starters you might have some tired shock, tyre pressure problems, our have a rear anti roll bar link missing that might cause some body roll , here are some pics that might help you locate the link, they are of the original link and the up grade mod that I made.

Kevin

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
OP
D

David P

Reaction score
Funnily enough, the wheels are coming off tomorrow as I want to check the brakes out and adjust the parking brake. I shall have a butchers and report back.

As for what did I used to drive? Toyota landcruiser (which the ML replaced) and an Isuzu pickup (which i've still got).

Thanks for the pictures though - always helpful.

David

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
As for what did I used to drive? Toyota landcruiser (which the ML replaced) and an Isuzu pickup (which i've still got).

David
Hi Dave as you state above you have a good idea what your ML should be doing
I recon the ML's are very good on road handling for a 4X4 so it sound like there is something just no quite right keep use up to date

Kevin

OP
D

David P

Reaction score
Had the back wheels off tonight and it's all there. It just feels 'soft'. Got an issue with the parking brake so i'll put a thread in there. My book says 80 ft/lb or 10 kg/m for the wheel nuts - any problems with that?

PS - mine is not as clean as yours!

David

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Had the back wheels off tonight and it's all there. It just feels 'soft'. Got an issue with the parking brake so i'll put a thread in there. My book says 80 ft/lb or 10 kg/m for the wheel nuts - any problems with that?

PS - mine is not as clean as yours!

David
Hi
had an issue with the parking brake chaffing, catching, rattleing noise when driving normaly could feel it through the parking brake pedal when I was pressing it as I was driving. I was advised that they wern't self adjusting but I pressed the brake pedal hard & sharply about 50 times when I was stationary & it been OK sinse then. Iv'e got some new disc's, pad's, shoes for the back but haven't fitted them so I don't know what's behind them disc's

Wheel nut, I just go tight enough so I can get em of with the spanner in the boot

Kevin

PS I interested how the ML compaires to the Land cruiser

Last edited:

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
The torque for the wheel bolts are 150NM.

Check you dont have a worn shocker or two.

OP
D

David P

Reaction score
The torque for the wheel bolts are 150NM.

Check you dont have a worn shocker or two.

Do you know what that is in kg/m ? My torgue wrench, oddly enough, doesn't do newton meters!

What kind of tools am i using!

David

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR

David

Hello David.

There have been a few posts about this issue. I have made an issue of it in my web site if you are interested - http://members.optusnet.com.au/iananddesley/ along with a few other inherent problems I have found in the ML.
Mine is good now that I have sorted all the niggles out.

Ian.

OP
D

David P

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Thanks for your site - answers all my questions really.

But...

I was looking at getting the ECU remapped as I am not a fan of plug and play boxes that give false readings. I've got one on my Isuzu ute and it is only so successful. There is this ST3 chip http://www.chippeduk.com/content/en/Services/ST3_-_Self_Tuning_System.html which has recently hit the streets. How good it is, I don't know. I may go for that as an £80 sleazebay special doesn't do it for me.

The bilstein struts are £146 each over here, that's AUD 1200 or thereabouts for the lot so they'll have to wait. The wife doesn't like me spending so much money in one hit - makes her nervous especially as i've just bought a BMW bike this month as well!

One thing that the yanks do well though is seats ! Just right for a lard arse like myself - all 17 stones of me in my cozzie!

I know what you mean about the throttle cable - it does feel sticky. Wouldn't spraying some GT or WD down it do the trick?

As for the tyres, mine have got thousands of miles on them yet so that'll be next year.

Thanks for your help!

David

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi David

Glad I could help.

Yes, the Bilsteins are not cheap but who wants to drive a semi-dangerous car which I reckon it was. Much safer when properly damped. Perhaps more important on our "B" standard roads than your better highways. You could always buy them in pairs and spread out the cost ;) Fronts are easy to fit and also have the most effect on bump steer. Do the rears later. They are MUCH harder to fit too. I can give you a rough "how to" for that if and when you would like one.

Re cable, all those sorts of "fixes" were tried by MB and myself to no avail. MB were even squirting some very expensive special molybond stuff down the cable but no good long term effect. They replaced the cable twice under warranty. They (MB) were very impressed with my modified cable - said best fix they had seen. They, of course, are not allowed to modify anything in their service dep't!!! I have been using the modified cable for about 50,000km now with no problems. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Ian.

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
ML 270 Versus Toyota Landcruiser

Hi
had an issue with the parking brake chaffing, catching, rattleing noise when driving normaly could feel it through the parking brake pedal when I was pressing it as I was driving. I was advised that they wern't self adjusting but I pressed the brake pedal hard & sharply about 50 times when I was stationary & it been OK sinse then. Iv'e got some new disc's, pad's, shoes for the back but haven't fitted them so I don't know what's behind them disc's

Wheel nut, I just go tight enough so I can get em of with the spanner in the boot

Kevin

PS I interested how the ML compaires to the Land cruiser

I had a Landcruiser for 17 years from new and loved it and for the last 12 years of it's life it towed my caravan and just about everything I could hang on the back.
I have towed 42 tons with and entered a ploughing contest with it.
Great Machine.
I now use an ML 270 Cdi and it is more than able for my twin axle Coachman caravan, it is smoother to ride in than the LandCruiser, quiter and much more driver and passanger "Cosseting".
I love my ML to bits and the re-map I had done was the iceing on the cake.
I prefer driving it to my almost new low miles hardly used S Type Jag, but I will be taking the jag to France this week just to stop the misses wondering why I bought it if I do not use it.
To answer your question I liked my affair with the LandCruiser but at my time of life I will have to say the ML is the one to go for as I no longer have to tow loaded trucks nor plough.

ML it is.

Regarts.

Mike

OP
D

David P

Reaction score
Hi Muller 1

Where did you get the remap done?

D

GCLTuning

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.gcltuning.co.uk
Hi Ian

Thanks for your site - answers all my questions really.

But...

I was looking at getting the ECU remapped as I am not a fan of plug and play boxes that give false readings. I've got one on my Isuzu ute and it is only so successful. There is this ST3 chip http://www.chippeduk.com/content/en/Services/ST3_-_Self_Tuning_System.html which has recently hit the streets. How good it is, I don't know. I may go for that as an £80 sleazebay special doesn't do it for me.

The bilstein struts are £146 each over here, that's AUD 1200 or thereabouts for the lot so they'll have to wait. The wife doesn't like me spending so much money in one hit - makes her nervous especially as i've just bought a BMW bike this month as well!

One thing that the yanks do well though is seats ! Just right for a lard arse like myself - all 17 stones of me in my cozzie!

I know what you mean about the throttle cable - it does feel sticky. Wouldn't spraying some GT or WD down it do the trick?

As for the tyres, mine have got thousands of miles on them yet so that'll be next year.

Thanks for your help!

David

Hi David ,

This is our ST3 unit ...

Prices are dependant on model and development times ECT . However we offer generous discounts for members

This is a forum member with our ST3 unit (Clive-CLS) 320cdi http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=49405

Regards Gary @ GCL Tuning

Last edited:

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
Re Mapping

Hi Muller 1

Where did you get the remap done?

D

I had it done at Morrisons Motors of Turriff and am pleased with the performance.
I also had the injectors re-furbished at Airylea Motors in Aberdeen and doing all 5 including removal replacing testing and a full diagnostics was just over £500 for having the fuel side done, and the re-map was about £475 ish if I remember.
Also try Ricky Gauld near huntly for re-mapping.

I also had a Tunit control module and I quite liked it as you could adjust it from 1 to 9 depending how you wanted the vehicle to drive.
I tried this as I was told it would give me the capability of changing it to any other vehicle with the same type of fuel injection system.
I had it on my ML and I tried it for a month and liked the result so I had the re-map done to almost the same power output.
If you are interested in the Tunit box or trying it let me know and you can have it for £150 on a money back purchase otherwise I was going to put it on to ebay.

Regards.
Mike

OP
D

David P

Reaction score
Thanks but i've got a tunit box on my Isuzu and i'm not that impressed. Aberdeen, on the otherhand, is miles away!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom