Not sure what issue is yet

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
You may have seen my threads saying just got a nice E320CDi.

Tonight is first time I've used it after daylight and I noticed no interior lights coming on when any door opened and I'm guessing the 'ambient light' is the ring around the roof switchpack and that should offer a soft glow???

As the front reading lamps didn't work also I guessed it was a blown fuse. The front/rear lights all operate when you manually press the switch to turn on/off (not the reading lamps though) so can't be fuse??

I did check all the fuses but the translated german fuse diagram isn't very clear so I just checked all the sub-30 amp fuses and none blown.

I'm not unduly worried as its going for a C service in next month or so and I aim to use the Mobilo warranty to cover it if not sorted in meantime.

Any clues?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One of the switches in the OCP will turn them off when a door is opened,,this will not be a fault, the switches can be a double function

OP
O

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
how embarrassing

I suppose I should just say nothing or something like "checked fuse 47 and 50 and found one blown":rolleyes:

However I looked at a few old threads, re-read the handbook and did another check on things and think this is what happened and my, er, mistaken assumptions....:Oops:

1) I'd been piddling around the car for a while before I 'noticed' the door switches weren't setting the interior lights off. Does the car 'go to sleep' at some point I now think......
2) The rear ambient lights were turned down to lowest setting, the front ambients were also set via the dash setting feature to lowest setting and it wasn't dark enough to see them.....
3) and this is the worst one (talk about "knowing your product":Oops:) prodding the front reading lights button and no lamps coming on.......Well how was I supposed to know the lights are in the bottom of the mirror not the big lamp thingys in the overhead console.......doh!!!!!:Oops::Oops::Oops:

I think I wasn't even looking at the damn things properley to start with as when I thought I'd turned lights on manually, I hadn't, it was just the door opening doing its job. How stupid am I (yeah, yeah, I know:lol:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When you open a door and get in,or just open a door and close it, there is a delay before the lamp goes off,average 30 sec (adjustable ??) if you get in and turn the key, this will turn the lights out.

There is a wake up and go to sleep on the car, but that is not the same thing and runs on a 20 mincycle

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I'm not unduly worried as its going for a C service in next month or so and I aim to use the Mobilo warranty to cover it if not sorted in meantime.

Any clues?

Just to avoid misunderstandings if you have any problems later: - MobiloLife is a free breakdown service and a 30 year rust guarantee. It is not an extended warranty for faults.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
However I looked at a few old threads, re-read the handbook and did another check on things and think this is what happened and my, er, mistaken assumptions....:Oops:

I think I wasn't even looking at the damn things properly to start with as when I thought I'd turned lights on manually, I hadn't, it was just the door opening doing its job. How stupid am I (yeah, yeah, I know:lol:)

Don't be unduly harsh on yourself. I thought my inside lights were not working on the door switch recently and spent a happy while trying to be logical about it - without success.

Like you I think I may have had the overhead switches in the wrong position (interesting how many permutations and combinations there are).

Long story short, I left it alone for a while and the next time I used it, everything was fine - and still is.

I never worked out what I was doing wrongly - and now I don't care!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
When I first had my W211 I spent ages going through the wiring to find out why the interior lights weren't working. My son then asked me about it when he went to bed, I said I hadn't had any luck with it but was going back out to check. When I did they now worked because it was dark. Which is why I have "Too clever for its own good in my signature"
In the convenience menu you can pre-set the level to which the interior lights come on and also set the delays. With just a bit of button pressing you can set it up just as you want it.

youspurs1

Reaction score
Yes, don't be too hard on yourself!
I was wondering why the dial around my headlamp switch wasn't illuminating. It didn't look right and I was thinking that I needed it fixed on the next service. I searched for an answer on here but couldn't find one - and then somebody asked the question and got the answer I'd been dreading, if I'd asked it..."They don't illuminate"
A wise person once said, "There are no stupid questions...."

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom