Buying high mileage CLK - Advice needed

Bluemeanie

Reaction score
Hello all,

this is my first post in this forum so a big hello!! to everybody. :D

I'm looking to buy a CLK, 2002-3 (Updated shape) for my wife. She is after something a little more refined than her Mini.

Budget wise, it's not much around 6-7k and so far that has put the choices in the high mileage bracket of which is ok as she doesn't do many miles at all.

So, first things first, can anyone tell me some of the faults to look out for on a CLK that's done around the 100k mile mark? - Major servicing costs etc.

Any advice would be appreciated as this would be a first for us to own a Merc.

Many thanks
BlueMeanie

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hello and Welcome,

Mercs are very solidly built and as long as been serviced regularly with right parts, you shouldn't have a problem with high mileage. The shape you are looking for is W209, you must check that it has Behr radiator as Valeo radiators are known to have issues (It should state that on top of the Rad).

Do the usual checks.... from this car you should look for very nice interior ( grey or black leather).

If she doesn't do many miles, why don't you go for W208 (older shape) and try to get CLK 200/230, the range starts from as little as £4K. Look for car with lower than 100K on 01/51 plate, you should be able to get all the luxury at no cost. Make sure you look for rust under the arches as W208 seem to suffer form that rust unless treated at early stage

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Hi and welcome.
It you go for a W209 then try and get a 2004 model as Mercedes only started to galvanise the bodies during 2003. A 2004 built car will be galvanised.
As Amo says, avoid Valeo radiators which should have been dropped by 2004.
The Valeo issue only applies to 209's so with 208's it not an issue.
For low mileage usage petrol is best - the larger engines are all superb - not much difference in mpg between the 320 and 500.
With a high mileage car it's important to check the service history.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
For low mileage usage petrol is best - the larger engines are all superb - not much difference in mpg between the 320 and 500.

Excellent advice Peter, but I think it should come with a health warning - unless you plan buying a 500, don't try one! It is more than likely to spoil you for anything else!! :rolleyes:;):D

OP
B

Bluemeanie

Reaction score
Hey!

Many thanks for the replies and the warm welcomes, Amo, Peter, Alex...

I see I'm talking to the right people so here is what the extended critiera is (it's a moving target believe me...:roll: but I'm narrowing it down + a few more Q's),

CLK (W209)
Possibly a 270 Diesel (because she likes Diesels)
Manual Gearbox

What is the general lowdown on the Manual Gearbox? Personally, I've always been told that if you buy a Merc, buy an automatic... But she hates (with a vengence) automatics... I personally don't mind so long as they have enough umph!.. (Saying that, I'm not going to be driving it I suppose)

Does the radiator problem include the manual versions too or are their any other things I should know about the Manual version?

Do they have a cam belt or a chain.. if they have a belt would this have been done under the FSH by Mercedes?

Has anyone owned a 270 and what is the difference between an Elegance and an Avantgarde?

Many Thanks
Bluemeanie

Last edited:

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Lots of happy 270 owners on here.
Most Mercs have auto boxes - it's easier to apply the foot operated parking (hand) brake with an auto. Also, when you come to sell, most customers want auto and leather on a Merc.
Avantgarde is the sportier version.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
As for Peter. They all have timing chains rather than belts, so no problem there. Worth listening to it though, just to be sure the tensioner is OK.

Choosing a manual gearbox is fine. Finding one may be harder. I have not tried, but you may find it limits your choice a lot.

The huge advantage of diesel/auto gearbox combination is that the MB gearbox - one of the best available anywhere - optimizes the excellent torque curve. If you can't find a decent manual, worth going for a spin in the auto. It may well be a revelation and in terms of economy it is still excellent.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hey!

Many thanks for the replies and the warm welcomes, Amo, Peter, Alex...

I see I'm talking to the right people so here is what the extended critiera is (it's a moving target believe me...:roll: but I'm narrowing it down + a few more Q's),

CLK (W209)
Possibly a 270 Diesel (because she likes Diesels)
Manual Gearbox

What is the general lowdown on the Manual Gearbox? Personally, I've always been told that if you buy a Merc, buy an automatic... But she hates (with a vengence) automatics... I personally don't mind so long as they have enough umph!.. (Saying that, I'm not going to be driving it I suppose)

Does the radiator problem include the manual versions too or are their any other things I should know about the Manual version?

Do they have a cam belt or a chain.. if they have a belt would this have been done under the FSH by Mercedes?

Has anyone owned a 270 and what is the difference between an Elegance and an Avantgarde?

Many Thanks
Bluemeanie

I think others have already covered all your questions.Additions to above replies finding a 270CDi for that budget will be hard specially in manual. you mentioned she wont do too many miles, why not go for 240 or even 320. Plenty of power and brilliant driving with very quieter engine. Only roars when put your foot down.

if you do find a 270 cdi for that budget, it will be very high mileage so probably wont be in such a good condition either.

Rad problem is with most 2002-2004 W209 models althought most would have been changed since, if not changed, look to spend good part of £500 replacing it as it has tendency to leak and go in gearbox which would cost you a new box

Last edited:
OP
B

Bluemeanie

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info :)

Can anyone tell me if the manual comes with a hill start assist? W209 2003-04

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome:D I would go for a car built after 04-03 as the body will be galvanized and this is worth a lot, as the rust issues on some earlier ones can be a problem

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom