230TE rear wash not working

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi, I have eventually tried to find out why my rear wash does not work. when you press the button the wiper goes but the wash will not. i connected the motor to the battery and it works ok. When I put a cuicuit tester (light type) it glows on and off in rythum with the wiper. Any ideas
Brian

Mercedes 190E

Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI, 2004 A140 Classic SE (Parents!)
Mine is exactly the same Brian. The rear washer is powered from the rear motor (Which has always seemed a little bizarre to me!) My fault, which is probably the same as yours is a break somewhere in the power wire from tailgate to switch. Difficult to diagnose without replacing the wire, which would be quite a lot of work.
One thing I had considered (But I'm not sure if it would work) would be to replace that wire to the switch with a live from the fusebox. I suspect that then the wash and wipe wouldnt work at the same time.
I suppose that a separate switch to split the functions would solve that problem though.

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Hi

I've just mended the leak in the pipework of mine from the pump to the screen. There is a joint in the headlining on the drivers side of the car in the rear hard plastic bit. I part had come adrift so jubilee clipped them both to the connection piece.

I've also relocated the reservoir and pump to inside the spare wheel.

I'm going to connect it all up tomorrow, so I'll report back.

Also removed the electric aerial as the metal behind it is quite rusty. Replaced it with a small sharks fin on the top of the tailgate - looks the dogs, will put some pictures up soon.

Have now got a great big cavern behind the trim where the leccy aerial was to fill with a subwoofer - more to come.

Had the sunroof open quite a lot recently too, quite a bit of wind noise:)

Mercedes 190E

Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI, 2004 A140 Classic SE (Parents!)
Hi

I've just mended the leak in the pipework of mine from the pump to the screen. There is a joint in the headlining on the drivers side of the car in the rear hard plastic bit. I part had come adrift so jubilee clipped them both to the connection piece.

I've also relocated the reservoir and pump to inside the spare wheel.

I'm going to connect it all up tomorrow, so I'll report back.

Also removed the electric aerial as the metal behind it is quite rusty. Replaced it with a small sharks fin on the top of the tailgate - looks the dogs, will put some pictures up soon.

Have now got a great big cavern behind the trim where the leccy aerial was to fill with a subwoofer - more to come.

Had the sunroof open quite a lot recently too, quite a bit of wind noise:)

Then buy my Passat wind deflector (See For Sale) -bargain! (Can't use it myself as my cable has broken....:()

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi, I have eventually tried to find out why my rear wash does not work. when you press the button the wiper goes but the wash will not. i connected the motor to the battery and it works ok. When I put a cuicuit tester (light type) it glows on and off in rythum with the wiper. Any ideas
Brian

Yes as said the washer is powered from the wiper, this is so that water is not wasted when the wiper is not on, most faults are a broken wire around the hinge area

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Thank you

thank you for the replies I will check the wiring
Brian

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Have good news....and bad.

The pump works fine in its new location, and pumps water...which drips through the headliner.

I clearly have more issues than the break I thought I had fixed.

The pump cycles on one stroke of the wiper, i.e. there, but not back.

Tony

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Must be a hole in the pipe :( or a T piece loose

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
A bit of confusion

I think that there is a bit of confusion to the symptoms. When the wash wiper button is pushed and held in, and a neon type circuit tester is applied to the power line for the washer motor, the light goes on and off as the wiper goes across the screen and back. The button is not released, so I would expect the power to be continuous so that the water is continuous.
Brian

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Must be a hole in the pipe :( or a T piece loose

You were, of course, right.

I wish you hadn't been, getting a new length of pipe through the grommet was a PITA.

IMG_2160.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopefully ypou can see the three water trails left by the output of the trifurcated jets.

Tony

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
I think that there is a bit of confusion to the symptoms. When the wash wiper button is pushed and held in, and a neon type circuit tester is applied to the power line for the washer motor, the light goes on and off as the wiper goes across the screen and back. The button is not released, so I would expect the power to be continuous so that the water is continuous.
Brian

No, what you are seeing is correct, you hold the button in, but power is only applied to the pump on one stroke of the wiper moving, so theres an on/off cycle for each complete sweep of the screen.

Is the pump making a pump like noise when the switch is depressed?

If not the pump is probably stuffed.

Tony

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom