Ebay Mercedes Manuals & DIY

C

Celtic pride

I've always done a lot of my own routine stuff, brake pads, oil & filter etc. Three questions:

1) Is it dangerous to let me loose on a recent (2003) Merc or will I be OK (assuming I am competent on the tasks I listed)?

2) Are these DVD based manuals any good - anyone bought one?

3) Do I need a manual with all the advice available on this forum?

My plan id Indie for complicated & me for simple (trolley jack & axle stands in the open!)

Huw

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I've always done a lot of my own routine stuff, brake pads, oil & filter etc. Three questions:

1) Is it dangerous to let me loose on a recent (2003) Merc or will I be OK (assuming I am competent on the tasks I listed)?

2) Are these DVD based manuals any good - anyone bought one?

3) Do I need a manual with all the advice available on this forum?

My plan id Indie for complicated & me for simple (trolley jack & axle stands in the open!)

Huw

Thats a good plan Huw, it works for me, thanks to Television and some of the other experts on here I have started repairing/maintaining all my Mercs.

As regards to the DVD based manuals on Ebay, I have bought them for other cars I have owned and for my motorbikes, and whilst they are not perfect, and some of the "diagrams" can be poor quality I have found them to be quite useful, and well worth the couple of pounds they cost.

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
The DVD's and CD's I found an absolute pain and have failed to load either for four set or the two set. Guess I got what I paid for, if these are questionably legit copyright.

it's a labyrinth of things to do and you may need to download a special programme to start (forget what its called).

Shame as I really would have liked to see the data. Always miffed after reading o.p's f/back saying "great item"

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi Celtic Pride..
I did actually buy on of these DVD based parts catalogues / manuals..
I am pretty experienced with computers and I had to admit defeat in the end.. I simply could not get the program to go online and register itself..
I would advise you therefor to go and get yourself a Haynes manual.. I did!
Dont be worried about DIY.. The common jobs (Brake Pads / Discs etc) are very much the same as on all other cars..
I have done my own serviceing on pretty much all the cars I have ever owned and with the exception of a Lancia Integrale (which was a crap design under the bonnet), I have never had issues with maintenance.

The most important point to remember is to make sure you use Oil thats up to the Mercedes quality..
I tend to buy original filters but use the Castrol Edge oils..
Incidentally Castrol have an excellent website where you Type your cars Reg number and then you recieve the correct oil recommendation.. Very good and no mistakes..
See below:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

Hope this helps you,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The DVD's and CD's I found an absolute pain and have failed to load either for four set or the two set. Guess I got what I paid for, if these are questionably legit copyright.

it's a labyrinth of things to do and you may need to download a special programme to start (forget what its called).

Shame as I really would have liked to see the data. Always miffed after reading o.p's f/back saying "great item"

Stuart I will copy a special 140 DVD just for you and Jib

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom