W201 190D 2.5 Heater Fan

sidmon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 190E 1989 2.0
Can anyone put my mind at rest. I'm currently "fettling" a 1989 Mercedes 190D 2.5. I've noticed if you turn on the interior fan, then leave it on and take the key out of the ignition.....it stays on! I'm fairly sure other 190's I've sold have never done this.....can anyone confirm or deny?

Also does anyone know the bleed screw thread size for the front calipers? I'm thinking 8mm but can anyone confirm. ;)

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Your fan should not run without the ignition switch being on at least the first on position.
The haynes book for all its inadequacies has sufficient detals on the heater fan in its wiring diagrams.

At 20 years old I would be fitting new bleed nipples the old ones may be sized in or starting to rot badly making for future trouble, you are right at 8mm. I replaced mine on a 190 and found the old nipples to be a shade longer in the thread (about 6mm ish) than the ones from my local car shop, I had doubts as to their suitability but found that they did fit and seal but the hex was only just away from the caliper. There are more than one makers calipers fitted to 190 models so I respectfully suggest that you get replacements from MB quoting your VIN to be sure of getting the right part.

If the brakes have been untouched for years and the bleed nipples are reluctant to move do not try too much brute force or their heads may snap off, try a sharp blow end on with a light hammer to crack the rust before you pull at them with any significant force.
If on having done this and the flats are a wee shade faded preventing the use of a decent spanner only resort to mole/vice grips with a close fitting small rod or bar (drill shank?) inserted deep into the bleed hole to prevent squashing the nipple flat and making it a dockyard job to extract them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The heater fan should not run with the key out,,,it could be the ignition switch at fault

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The heater fan should not run with the key out,,,it could be the ignition switch at fault

as above or the comfort circuit is at fault, do the windows work with doors shut and ign off?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom