Best wax polish etc

colouredcob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 230 with AMG body kit yum yum
Having always owned practical sheds on wheels, 4x4 for towing the horses and rough old runabouts, I have taken somewhat a big pride in my yummy SLK 230. Being black she looks the business but I am in need of a really good wax/polish so that once it rains it doesnt keep resembling the inside of a shower unit. I am spending too much on getting the local 'hand wash boys' to keep cleaning her up. They do a pucker job but it just doesnt look good for long enough so guess I have to put in some elbow grease of my own.

Basically can anyone advise me of whats good and will do the job.

Cheers all

Cob

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Collinite 915 goes on easy (don't use too much) and buffs up without too much effort. Gives a really deep shine that last for many washes.

Inbetween waxes try some Meguire's Ultimate detailing spray after washing to give instant shine :cool:

Rinehart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 R129, 300SL Almandine Red, 102k
wax/polish

Having always owned practical sheds on wheels, 4x4 for towing the horses and rough old runabouts, I have taken somewhat a big pride in my yummy SLK 230. Being black she looks the business but I am in need of a really good wax/polish so that once it rains it doesnt keep resembling the inside of a shower unit. I am spending too much on getting the local 'hand wash boys' to keep cleaning her up. They do a pucker job but it just doesnt look good for long enough so guess I have to put in some elbow grease of my own.

Basically can anyone advise me of whats good and will do the job.

Cheers all

Cob

You might try a new product from Turtle Wax called "Ice". It is tested by a third party and looks to be the best thing since canned beer. Go to:
hhtp://mustangworld.com/ourpics/new/icereview
rinehart 1988 300CE Black

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Cob --Use Meguiars NXT2 for a quick and easy finish and then use the clay bar and detailer to do a panel at a time for paint as smooth as silk (but dont tell anyone else the secret as they will all ask you when they see the car!) --Teddy

GRAHAME2001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K CAB, GOLF GTI CAB, PUG 206, FREELANDER
i used AUTO GLYM AQUA WAX for the first time and Very dissapointed.. goes on well ETC. but leave white marks if rain is left to dry on it..:(

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Wax Wars ! Almost as bad as oil wars ;-)

Zymol Carbon Wax, smells lovely as you are applying it and lasts for ages.

....but it's all down to personal preference :)

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
As a personal preference ....... I go with Autogym ............ always been happy with the result, and is effortless to use !

Lisa Jayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SLK 230K & 2003 ML270 CDI Inspiration
i used AUTO GLYM AQUA WAX for the first time and Very dissapointed.. goes on well ETC. but leave white marks if rain is left to dry on it..:(

As a user of the whole Auto Glym Range, I purchased the Aqua wax and I have to say I was impressed with this product, easy to use,
no white dust when buffing off, definately not noticed any white marks though......
Maybe they just don't show up so much on a yellow car :rolleyes:

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
i like autoglym aswell. also meguires.

if you havnt clayed the car recently, then make sure you clay it 1st before polishing.

i will be doing wifey's picasso this weekend.

you can get the meguires kit that comes with clay bar, clay spray and a good meguires wax from halfords. i used it last year and was impressed.

i also used autoglym on the SL and it came up a treat.

both are at halfords for easy purchasing

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a clay bar/clay spray? Are you saying you give the car a facepack?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a clay bar/clay spray? Are you saying you give the car a facepack?

:lol: Almost!!

Clay bar is a slab of blue-tack like substance one draws across the paintwork, lubed with spray to remove surface contaminants. It leaves the paintwork very smooth and easier to wax.

Lisa Jayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SLK 230K & 2003 ML270 CDI Inspiration
Three items for the price of two in Halfords at the moment too ;)

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:lol: Almost!!

Clay bar is a slab of blue-tack like substance one draws across the paintwork, lubed with spray to remove surface contaminants. It leaves the paintwork very smooth and easier to wax.

Thanks for that, - does it have any effect on minor non rusty stone chips?

I have many a stubborn tar stain or bug remnants on my paintwork, - sounds like I should give this stuff a try. Looks like the perfect weekend for it too! :)

GRAHAME2001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K CAB, GOLF GTI CAB, PUG 206, FREELANDER
i used to think i knew how to clean a car until i joined this forum ;-)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Thanks for that, - does it have any effect on minor non rusty stone chips?

I have many a stubborn tar stain or bug remnants on my paintwork, - sounds like I should give this stuff a try. Looks like the perfect weekend for it too! :)

One should give the car a good wash before using the clay or you will overload it very quickly. Tar and bugs are best removed with a little spirit for the tar and a soak with warm soapy water for the bugs :)

The clay will have no effect on stone chips other than to drag any debris from inside the chip. Again ideally these should be touched in before waxing.

A good weekend certainly, if you can kep the sun off the bodywork, claying should be done on a cool surface to prevent the lube evaporating too quickly

EGBM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS 320 CDI
i used to think i knew how to clean a car until i joined this forum ;-)

Same here mate. Get on detailingworld though and you will definitely KNOW you don't have the first idea!. Two buckets? No chamois?!? NO sponge?!?

Anyway, there's a lad not too far from me in Lichfield (www.autodetox.co.uk) who had our CLS for a couple of days and with all this amazing technique and products/waxes transformed the thing. I was staggered. Clay bar/face pack the lot. Outstanding.

Anyway, I'm a two bucket man with a lambswool mitt and know what "carnuba" is nowadays. Never looked back. ;)

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One should give the car a good wash before using the clay or you will overload it very quickly. Tar and bugs are best removed with a little spirit for the tar and a soak with warm soapy water for the bugs :)

The clay will have no effect on stone chips other than to drag any debris from inside the chip. Again ideally these should be touched in before waxing.

A good weekend certainly, if you can kep the sun off the bodywork, claying should be done on a cool surface to prevent the lube evaporating too quickly

Thanks Whitenemesis and others, - great advice. As it happens, since it was so warm today I thought I'd do the waxing another day, so I fitted new doors to my garage instead. :) Looks much better now.

Chris.

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
I miss spending a warm Sunday morning cleaning my car, a gentle wash, a power spray to the underside/wheel arches/wheels. A gentle leathering and when touch dry, a wax from my Zimol collection.

Vacuum all the dog hair out, detail the dash, clean all the slime off the windows, chuck out uneaten dog biscuits, and replace the heavy duty air freshener.

It either that or shopping; your choice would be?

Top Bottom