SLK PSE Module problems

sailorP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32AMG
Stopped the car yesterday after a good run out, and noticed an LED glowing faintly, on the internal motion sensor / tow- away protection switch. Faint glow equals low current flow & earthing???? Poked the switch a bit and no change, so decided I had better refer to the manual. Went to the boot to get the manual, and….oh dear…..a brand new one litre bottle of Demon Sheen, (which I bought from Halfrauds at Brabus R230 recommendation) was laying on its side, minus cap, and empty. How can that happen? Don’t Halfrauds check their bottle caps are on tight? I guess I’ll be checking everything I buy from now on.
So I emptied the boot of all the kit and tools, finding most things dry, but tell-tale signs of pink fluid in places (even inside the bubble-wrap bag containing the towing eye). Some of the cloth friction pads were still wet, but all the foam was dry. I pulled the PSE module out from its hole, and felt damp underneath. Unfortunately, the PSE module didn’t move out easily, and fearing that I would make the situation worse, I shoved it back whence it came, having dried underneath the module. My courage to fiddle with something I don’t understand deserted me, sensibly given my ability to break stuff by looking at it...I have great experience at breaking stuff without trying.
A couple of hours later, my alarm kept going off, so I went back to the car, turned off the alarm, and tried to lock the car using the key. I prised out the little plastic cap from the driver’s door lock, locked the door, but the central locking didn’t work. The fact that the alarm is over-sensitive, and the central locking is not working on the key, all point to the PSE module. Car is heading for Uncle Benz’s shop tonight, hoping that Gareth can remove, clean and dry it out without having to buy a new one.
It’s ironic that the PSE module didn’t fail because of moisture ingress through the roof/boot seals, but from a stupid bottle of stuff that was meant to keep it looking shiny……pride goes before a fall. And the car has been so reliable….it wasn’t the car’s fault, it was mine. Damn.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You must take the PSE pump out and clean up the PCB board, or it will fail.

Get a tin of lighter fuel and wash it down using your wives toothbrush to clean the components, give it a coat of clear lacquer if you wish

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Car is now at my shop, and we have removed the PSE pump for inspection. Phil can relax a little - it's not all his fault.

At the last service we noted that there was no communication, via Star, with the PSE module, although the alarm and central locking were functioning perfectly. It now turns out that the module has suffered some water ingress some time ago. There is considerable corrosion on the board and the two computer type connectors have corroded badly. I think the boot accident has just finished off what was well on the way anyway.

Will require a new PSE module and some repair kits for the plugs.

Hope Phil does not mind his washing being done in public :Oops:

Edit to add, Phil had thought that as a facelift model, his PSE pump would be upside down already. I can now say that it wasn't. Never assume anything with cars!!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car is now at my shop, and we have removed the PSE pump for inspection. Phil can relax a little - it's not all his fault.

At the last service we noted that there was no communication, via Star, with the PSE module, although the alarm and central locking were functioning perfectly. It now turns out that the module has suffered some water ingress some time ago. There is considerable corrosion on the board and the two computer type connectors have corroded badly. I think the boot accident has just finished off what was well on the way anyway.

Will require a new PSE module and some repair kits for the plugs.

Hope Phil does not mind his washing being done in public :Oops:

Why not send the board to me, I can check and fix many things on them

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I'll take a couple of pics of it tomorrow and post them up. There is heavy corrosion of both plug sockets, a diode near the sockets has completely lost one leg, and several surface mount components wiped clean away with a pass of my pinky, turning to green dust.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll take a couple of pics of it tomorrow and post them up. There is heavy corrosion of both plug sockets, a diode near the sockets has completely lost one leg, and several surface mount components wiped clean away with a pass of my pinky, turning to green dust.

OK it may be too far gone,,but you never know, do not forget to get the mod wiring and turn the pump upside down

racall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class and slk
Is there a post about turning the Pump upside down???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We did have some post a couple of years back, the MB wiring is an official mod and I have that somewhere,

OP
S

sailorP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32AMG
Well, thanks to all.
No problem doing the washing in public....publicising my problems helps other users to be aware of issues before they occur.
Judging from Gareth's comments, it would not have been long before the unit packed up anyway....just as well I helped it on its way at a time that wasn't too inconvenient.
Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, thanks to all.
No problem doing the washing in public....publicising my problems helps other users to be aware of issues before they occur.
Judging from Gareth's comments, it would not have been long before the unit packed up anyway....just as well I helped it on its way at a time that wasn't too inconvenient.
Phil

Milk can be another thing, I always check any liquid now after having a leaking milk bottle and double check all caps.

To do the washing in public, you need some clothes in the boot and a leaking soap container, just add water and go for a drive

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom