Retro-fits...

A

alindsay81

I've been doing some reading and there are a number of retro-fits that people have been asking about but it seems that nobody ever gets the job done. Heated Seats, Parktronic, Automatic Wipers, Climatronic etc

I was hoping to find threads that end with success, a lists the part numbers and where they bought the parts from. Maybe people just like the idea of retro-fitting but just never get round to actually doing it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Before the list could be given the actual car type would be need,,,there are loads of members who have done things, and some members have fitted all options that they can

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
For information,
I have successfully done about 6 retro fits on pre and post facelift W202's, and a lot them are the same/similar for the 208 and the 210. What car have you got and what retro fits are you interested in?

OP
A

alindsay81

I've got a W203, 2005. Interested in all of the above.

I'm probably being a bit lazy by expecting there to be a list of parts for me to order, but ive got 2 small kids and don't have as much time to spend on this sort of thing as id like.

As for the Heated seats, someone on Ebay is selling seat base and seat backs with the heating elements in, though these are around 350 each, so that's going to be around 1500 before I buy a new set of switches and whatever else is required.

I have seen the after market parking sensor kits etc but im only interested in oem kit

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Peter (whitenismis) will see you post and he has done all possible to a 203

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
You can get certain functions added by just coding the cluster with the MB STAR Diagnostic computer, though this does have some drawbacks i believe, some possible items are mirrors folding in on locking
cornering lights
tyre pressure warning.
Auto rain sensor can be retro fitted but a new windscreen will have to be fitted
Xenons with auto levelling. (Whitenemesis has done this and other mods on a 203)
Electronic climate control.
Regarding heated seats you mentioned, don,t bother with the ones you mentioned just buy complete seats or a different interior you could probably get all the bits you require maybe even electric/memory seats from a breaker much cheaper than the £1500 you quoted.
You could just about fit anything as long as it was fitted to that MB chassis, the only limitation will be the depths of your pocket!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Done most of the above, Merc were pretty good on reto-fit, even tell us how on wis, mind you, saying that, yours is turning out a bit of a pain Andy!!!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I've been doing some reading and there are a number of retro-fits that people have been asking about but it seems that nobody ever gets the job done. Heated Seats, Parktronic, Automatic Wipers, Climatronic etc

I was hoping to find threads that end with success, a lists the part numbers and where they bought the parts from. Maybe people just like the idea of retro-fitting but just never get round to actually doing it

Heated seats, cheaper to get the seat complete from a breakers

Parktronic, approx £1800 fitted. The parts are nowhere near that cost but you have to strip the car to fit.

Auto Wipers, needs a new windscreen but other than that the parts are cheap. Seems rather random on how the electronics go together though.

Climatronic, was quoted £5500 by MB for the retro-fit. Just fit the head unit and enjoy the better look (some logic improvements too)

So many of the parts are VIN dependant and some will involve far more than just the bits for the upgrade (new SAM units etc..)

If you have a specific retro-fit you want to undertake ask the question here. Go to MB and ask them (my dealer is happy to printout the details)

I have done one or two changes to my car but the majority of the works have been done by comand.co.uk and Prestige Car Services (PCS) Horndean.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Done most of the above, Merc were pretty good on reto-fit, even tell us how on wis, mind you, saying that, yours is turning out a bit of a pain Andy!!!

I know mate, like I said the only thing I could think of was I needed a different Sam module, but I have looked on the official online EPC and both mine and Bobbies C43 have the same one fitted. So not sure where to go now :(

OP
A

alindsay81

I've got the xenon's and the electric seats from the factory though the seats are not memory, i wonder what would be involved to make them memory?

First on my list was going to be the climatronic digital head unit, there was a chap in germany selling one on ebay.de - i did contact him about it but he never got back to me. For this mod i believe in some cases its just plug and play though in others the head unit isnt compatible or the vents need reset or something!

S-A-M / U-N-I-T, You said that WIS was very good in that it told you how to perform many retro-fits, If i was to purchase the parktronic kit from my MB dealer do you think i could get a copy of the relevant documents ?

OP
A

alindsay81

Euromerc have the memory seat switches for £50 each

OP
A

alindsay81

would this be of use to me ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would this be of use to me ?

Only if you managed to install it and learnt how to use it, but I would pass on it as it will not help you that much

OP
A

alindsay81

I wouldn't expect to have any trouble, I'm a software engineer

Only reason i thought it might be of use is because S-A-M / U-N-I-T mentioned that WIS tells us how to perform many retro-fits

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't expect to have any trouble, I'm a software engineer

Only reason i thought it might be of use is because S-A-M / U-N-I-T mentioned that WIS tells us how to perform many retro-fits

Yes it does give you those that are available

OP
A

alindsay81

its got to be worth £10 then

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Regarding memory seats, you will need at least the seat switches with the memory function, a new door mirror(s) as these move with memory function and a memory mirror has additional internal wiring, and you would need to install an electric steering column as this adjusts to the memory as well. This info is based on the 208/210 but I would image the 203 would be the same if not very similar.

OP
A

alindsay81

Regarding memory seats, you will need at least the seat switches with the memory function, a new door mirror(s) as these move with memory function and a memory mirror has additional internal wiring, and you would need to install an electric steering column as this adjusts to the memory as well. This info is based on the 208/210 but I would image the 203 would be the same if not very similar.

First thing to do is to make a list of all required parts. I'll start this shortly.

My MB dealer said that i can only get a park assist retro-fit for the rear of the W203

Part £544 plus VAT

Fitting £400 plus VAT

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you get the EPC like you mentioned and then get some chassis numbers of 203's with the options you require already fitted you can simply by the process of elimination get the part numbers you require.
Regarding Parking sensors they might only offer rear sensors as a retro fit kit but it still does,nt mean you could,nt fit it front and rear as they did when the car was built at the factory, just more involved, and all the bits would be still available.
To be honest buy a good aftermarket kit for parking sensors as I have seen some excellent ones and IMO are as good if not better than the OEM certainly when comparing my factory fit 202 system, when i,m at home i,ll post the link to the site let you see what you think. I,ll be buying a set for my C230K, and I normally will only fit OEM stuff but I was really impressed with set up especially the rear.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom