Passenger Window Seal

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Focus, CLK 230, 911, Spitfire MK II
The front passenger window seal seems to be on its way out. If you open the door and close it the window (the glass) finishes on top of the rubber seal and you need to lower the window and then close it to re aline.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Is this is a simple fix? If so where to I start and where I can get the part from (im guessing the seal) and a rough cost.

Many Thanks

W208 99 CLK 230

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will send you the details of how to change it if you give me your Email address

OP
C

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
email removed many thanks

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Details sent :D the part is MB only.

When you have fitted it, re set the window by lowering the glass, then closing and hold the switch up for 10 sec while in key 2.

Go back to your post and delete the address in "edit" if you wish to

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So yours is not the soft top

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats OK :D I think that the door seal is all in one piece, that is it goes up the front and rear of the door and along the top. This just pulls out and off and the bottom ends are just under the door sills, and the door sills just lift up, you should not have to remove them completely.

The are not cheap at around £45 but MB only again

OP
C

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks I may take the panel off and see if I can adjust the window alignment after having a closer look it does not seem to be the case, although I could be wrong...

I'm guessing its the glass alignment as its a bit higher at the back and sometimes the door does not close first time (unless I slam it) I'll wait for a little fine weather then have a play

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you the details of taking off the door panel, and yes the glass can be adjusted so that it sits square

OP
C

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok I took a much closer look today, although I was unable to do anything (started to rain) I managed to take a photo or two of the problem as well as another seal problem on the windscreen.

I think after looking closer, I'm more convinced that its a seal issue rather than alignment but I've never worked on a mercedes before and my mechanical skills are a basic at best.

seal1.png

seal1a.png

and on the windscreen (dont think the photo does it any good) but I think this seal has shrunk as it no longer makes any contact to the window, plus the metal trip was lose till i re attached it.

seal2.png

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One fault on the CLK is that the window motor can lose count of the motor turns, and I am thinking is that the case here.

I was going to say yesterday,open the window with the door closed. take a piece of cardboard about 3mm thick , put it between the glass and the rubber seal and close the window and hold the switch up for 10 sec in key 2 and see if the glass stays that touch lower.

The front screen is bonded and the rubber is only decor

OP
C

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok ill give that a go first once the weather breaks thanks again.

The rubber on front screen nothing to worry about then, its there for looks?

OP
C

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One fault on the CLK is that the window motor can lose count of the motor turns, and I am thinking is that the case here.

I was going to say yesterday,open the window with the door closed. take a piece of cardboard about 3mm thick , put it between the glass and the rubber seal and close the window and hold the switch up for 10 sec in key 2 and see if the glass stays that touch lower.

The front screen is bonded and the rubber is only decor

Worked :D:D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thats good,, your excellent pic gave the solution, in a few weeks when the rubber gets back to its original shape, you may be able to try it with a thinner piece of cardboard to keep any wind noise down

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Hi Malcolm

Can you advise if this approach also applies to the rear windows?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom