w211 audio 20 and cd changer problems

w211-e-class

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270
hi

i have a audio 20 i bought as a replacement, tried replacing it today and it wont detect my cd changer. all cables including fibre optic are plugged in. the seller i brought the unit of says the units optics need turning on , is the seller b*** s***** or what?

is there somebody who can help please.

kind regards

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
i'm guessing a bit here, but it may be that the audio 20 does need to be told that there is a cd changer installed. Check with an indie who has a star unit. I believe you need to tell it if there is a cd changer or phone prewire so its possible it needs to be told to talk to external units.
Clever things these cars!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you had one before it should be plug and play if all of the cables are correct, do not forget that early cars are d2b and later ones the MOST bus

OP
W

w211-e-class

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270
thanks for replying .well my car already has a factory fitted cd changer , my old unit had a cracked screen so i bought a new unit . the new unit now says no cdc. the 2007 unit is the one i bought . all wiring the same as other unit. everything else works fine apart from the cd changer. ive been told by the seller i need to use a star diagnoastics machine to turn the fibre optics on the head unit on.is that true then ?

many thanks

OP
W

w211-e-class

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270
If you had one before it should be plug and play if all of the cables are correct, do not forget that early cars are d2b and later ones the MOST bus

i can see the fibre optics on the head unit - no bus

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The MOST bus it only the system that it runs on.

What year is the car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 - by the way what is bus?

TYhe 2004 car should heve a MOST bus.

A Bus is just a name used for sending electronic signals around the car, it can carry many at the same time, hence the word bus

OP
W

w211-e-class

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270
if the old one has bus and the new unit has d2b then it wont work i suppose.
unit is 07 car is 04 so i need a older unit then? but the connections are the same. everything else works.apart from cd changer. how do i know that which signal is most BUS and d2b .they are both fibre optic though. i can see on the unit and on my car the fibre optics

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
D2b went out in late 2003 to early 04 and all cars went over to the MOST bus system, yes they may look the same.

It is odd that the CD player cannot be found as you had one before,,perhaps a trip to an indie with STAR will give the answer

OP
W

w211-e-class

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270
thanks to both of u . when to mb dealer and they said it needs programming using star diagnoastics. so audio 20 unit can detect cd changer.

''aaah mercedes always makes life difficult''

thanks

:D

prof

Reaction score
although you already had a cd changer the new audio20 you got came out of a car which did not have any extras on the most bus hence the fibre optics on the head unit has to be "switched on" and the cd changer added have the same problem and am looking for indie with STAR in the soth west london area

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom