gps V dash Speed

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Yesterday I managed to stick to a constant speed around the m25 so decided to compare the two speeds.

Once I got to 70, I stuck the cruise on and let it take over. It seems that the GPS reads slower by around 3mph on avg

@ 70 (dash needle and digital) GPS was showing 67
@ 80 (dash needle and digital) GPS was showing 78

each reading was based on a constant speed over at least a mile

anyone else compared the two speeds before?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Aye, speedo's will always under read. Not a major issue as they are designed to in order to protect the manufacturer from getting claims from owners against them saying the speedo said 70mph but I got a ticket for 73mph or something.

Modern cars are capable of displaying true speeds (e90 3 series can be re-coded to do this) but don't for the legal reasons.

2mph at an indicated 80mph isn't too bad an error. My old BMW was 5mph by this time.

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Yes, mine is about the same, there was a question about speedometers on Chris Evans show last week, the question was, "why do speedo's show a much higher speed than the car can manage" part of the answer involved a cars speedo must read a certain % higher, ie at 70 mph on the speedo, the car is only doing 67mph, so I am guessing the GPS is right, and the car is slightly wrong!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that every car made indicates a higher speed than you are actually doing, this has to be the case to stop people claiming that their car was wrong when caught for speeding

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I agree with Malc, Manufacturers have to cover their back. Plus if a you change the diameter of the wheel/tyre the speed can change which needs to be taken in account. For instance if you buy SL500 with standard 16" wheels and then upgrade to 19" with lower profile you are likely to have variance in speeds.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with Malc, Manufacturers have to cover their back. Plus if a you change the diameter of the wheel/tyre the speed can change which needs to be taken in account. For instance if you buy SL500 with standard 16" wheels and then upgrade to 19" with lower profile you are likely to have variance in speeds.

I did change my wheels on my SL and the profile and the effect is now that my speedo is exact. So I have to allow for that

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
True but surely if you are increasing the total diameter with the new wheels then it would make an impact on the speedometer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
True but surely if you are increasing the total diameter with the new wheels then it would make an impact on the speedometer.

Yes it has,,the fuel consumption now shows less as the car goes further than it thinks it has

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.

Doesn't that depend on the profile of the tyres?

The bigger the wheel (19" against 16") then the lower the profile (30 against 45). If you get it right there should be no difference in the rolling circumference and therefore no impact on the reading on the speedo.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
My car is 5 mph out across the board .......... so was my last car !!

No real issue, so long as you remember as you pass a speed camera .......it gives you a safety buffer ............. all manufacturers do it !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doesn't that depend on the profile of the tyres?

The bigger the wheel (19" against 16") then the lower the profile (30 against 45). If you get it right there should be no difference in the rolling circumference and therefore no impact on the reading on the speedo.

I did not want to damage my new 19" wheels, or get a worse ride, so I have upped to 23mm larger in diameter, by changing the width and profile, I also saved £300 in cost, as on AMG rims, the tyres are very expensive

izy_wizy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 2004
this has always intreeged me. I will be sitting on the motorway doing erm 70 and my road angel will say i'm doing 67 and my tom tom before my merc and command of cause yet i do sometimes use it as well cos u cant beat tom tom and tom tom will say 67 as well. No matter what sped i go up or down lol to its always been around 3-4mph difference. I have been told that this is to allow for the transfer of speed to the tyres and through the tread to the road. and i have always belived it!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
this has always intreeged me. I will be sitting on the motorway doing erm 70 and my road angel will say i'm doing 67 and my tom tom before my merc and command of cause yet i do sometimes use it as well cos u cant beat tom tom and tom tom will say 67 as well. No matter what sped i go up or down lol to its always been around 3-4mph difference. I have been told that this is to allow for the transfer of speed to the tyres and through the tread to the road. and i have always belived it!!

There is 6.7mm of tread difference here between new and old tyres, in my Comand I can set new or used tyres

A

alindsay81

the max speed on my garmin is 501mph - i turned it on while flying from belfast to mallorca last month :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the max speed on my garmin is 501mph - i turned it on while flying from belfast to mallorca last month :)

Did the post code work while doing that;):D

A

alindsay81

No but the girl in the satnav said re-calculating about a million times as we flew over france

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
No but the girl in the satnav said re-calculating about a million times as we flew over france

I bet she was hacked of then:lol::lol::lol:

and to confirm my sat nav also shows 3mph slower than the speedo at whatever speed I am doing....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom