Steering drag link change

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD Auto, BMW M3 CSL, Honda Integra Type R DC-2
Guys

Just had my steering drag link changed in my c250td. W202. Took out the old one and alligned with the old one. Not had the tracking done yet but will be heading to hi q tomorrow morning.

I've now got a slight knock when I move the steering from center either to left or right feels and sounds like something is loose but everything is on right.

Do you think once the tracking is done it will be all good??

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Did you check the steering damper and the condition of the Idler arm when you changed the drag link?
But as it was not doing this before changing the drag link, I think this will be caused by more instantanous force being applied to either or both of the above items with the replacement of the drag link.
My money is on the damper being duff, but wear in either item is not unheard of in W202's.

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The damper and the idler both ok. There was wear but not in need of changing. I suppose it may be worth changing them too.... If I change them will the tracking need doing again?

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update.

I've had the tracking done but the noise when the steering is moved side to side is still there.

Also I've the issue as I drive around say a left hand bend on the country road and then the road sweeps to the right etc there is a point where I have no feel in the steering as if there is slack or play.

Would changing the damper and idler arm fix this or could there be more issues with the box? Or maybe the box needs adjusment??

Help and thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

C

C180 Chris

I have just tightened up my steering box today, 1/4 turn of the allen bolt and i have much less play and a nice feel to the wheel.

What i had was a "slop" that is to say that the wheel felt like it had been disconected altogether from the box, so far job + 6 hours it seems fine:D

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
unlike most faults on this forum yours sounds dangerous :shock: best get it looked at asap

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's booked in on Friday. Might try tightening up box chris see if it fixes the issue, how did u do it chris?

C

C180 Chris

With the car on a set of drive on ramps, looking up at the bottom of the steering box you should see a 19mm nut with a allen bolt through the middle of it (the pitman arm is fitted around this shaft with a clamp)

Undo the 19mm nut and adjust the allen bolt 1/4 turn anticlockwise as you look at it, tighten up the 19mm and you should find much less slop on your wheel.

Now put your car on a trolley jack with both wheels free to turn and try lock to lock a couple of times (you are looking for full free movement with no sticking points or extra stiffness of the wheel turn)

hope this helps

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
haroonz7

You need to concentrate on the drag link only, as that was the only thing you messed with to cause your noise.

I have not looked at the layout of your car, but some drag links have a curve or bend in them - does yours?

If so, then my guess is you put it on back to front, as the drag link is touching something as it moves.

OR you have put the steering damper on back to front.

Last edited:
C

C180 Chris

haroonz7

You need to concentrate on the drag link only, as that was the only thing you messed with to cause your noise.

I agree with the above post, adjustment will not stop the noise.
It would seem prudent check the damper/drag link first as adjustment of the box will not sort out any noises, only the free play that you describe (this may be caused by the damper or drag link being fitted wrongly)

Also make sure that if the faults were not present before the damper change that you do not alter anything else until that problem has been sorted, otherwise you end up adjusting and changing so much that you forget what was where.
I used to work repairing TV/Video's and we used to call people who changed every setting before calling us "Twiddlers" amongst other things:D
It makes repair so much more difficult for the person who has to do it, and of course that means more expensive to the paying customer.:D

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>changed every setting before calling us "Twiddlers" amongst other things

It's among the reasons why I don't tend to advocate adjusting the steering box until being absolutely sure that there are no other problems in the system.

The main reason on here is that it's also difficult to assess someone's skill level across a forum. Adjusting a steering box certainly isn't a job you would let the apprentice do in a workshop.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
>>changed every setting before calling us "Twiddlers" amongst other things

It's among the reasons why I don't tend to advocate adjusting the steering box until being absolutely sure that there are no other problems in the system.

The main reason on here is that it's also difficult to assess someone's skill level across a forum. Adjusting a steering box certainly isn't a job you would let the apprentice do in a workshop.

quite correct. its easy enough to give advice on things like that if you know the person's skill and experience level. another matter if the person you give the advice to doesnt fully comprehend the advice even though they may think they do!

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think adjusting the box is my thing. The drag ling and steering damper are defo in right as I checked how it was before I took it out and then matched it up with the new one. Did the same with damper.

The only thing I didn't change like I said was the idler arm, I believe there is a bush repair kit which is used and that's something I couldn't do my self.

Is this the most likely cause?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I don't think adjusting the box is my thing. The drag ling and steering damper are defo in right as I checked how it was before I took it out and then matched it up with the new one. Did the same with damper.

The only thing I didn't change like I said was the idler arm, I believe there is a bush repair kit which is used and that's something I couldn't do my self.

Is this the most likely cause?

If the idler arm is at fault, when rocking the wheel, one can see the idler arm go up and down in its housing

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom