gear box problem e320cdi auto

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320cdi, focus cc3 diesel
gear box stuck in park after a short run. i stoped the engine and tried to re start but engine wont turn over. any ideas

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
sounds like a possible inhibitor failure to me if the engine wont turn over.

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
gear box

here is the full story.

after a 20 mile drive and nearly home the abs, brake assist and the esp warning lights came on. i tried the brakes and everything seemed ok i could feel the brake assist working. i had to turn round in a culdesac. i came to a stop and selected park then tried to select reverse. i would not go in reverse i.e. the gear lever was locked in park. i thought it might re set its self if i turned the engine off for a few mins. i tried to re start the car but it would not turn over (the lights where on but no one was home). just the same as if you tried to start the car when in gear. but the 3 brake malfunctions had cleared. i had to get the aa to recover the car ( only 3 miles from home). when the recovery truck arrived i told him it was stuck in park and it would not start. he said i will just drag it on to the truck with my winch. i told him not to do this as it might damage the transmission. the recovery firm was an aa sub contractor and the driver looked about 12 years old. he sugested that he would ring his boss for some advice. the advice was to remove the cover from around the gear stick and find a little trap door, which we did. we stuck a small socket extension bar in and this released the gear lever. neutral was selected and on tow truck it went. i tried it this morning and its still the same.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
im clutching at straws a bit here as this isnt my strong point, but it could possibly be the brake light switch. it affects BAS light and you do have to press the brake to shift out of P so there must be a switch of some kind thats gone faulty, to jam in P. obviously something is also affecting the inhibitor system for it to refuse to start!

Cosworth

Reaction score
A friend of mine had the same problem and its a safety thing as to why the car locks in P and will not start because there is a problem with your ABS.

In his case his ABS unit went faulty and Mercedes charged him an arm and a leg to change the ABS pump.

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ecu fan, 10 amp fuse blown. fan is now bypassed. many thanks for the info. simon

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Used to be a common Fault, back in the day!!

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Common fault, have had it.

What concerns me far more is the recovery vehicle drivers absurd suggestion. The pencil or nail in the hole to release the transmission is well known in the trade and he should have either known or had the cop on to contact HQ for assistance or advice. Well done for saying no because you were clearly dealing with someone who should not be in the business.

As for Mobilo I had an issue after an MB dealer messed up a service and was unhelpful. When I told them I was refusing to drive the car becauise it could be unsafe they said it was not their problem, mentioned calling Mobilo and instructing them to take it to another dealer as they were 'unable' to help got them off the fence quickly. if you do have Mobilo it is worthwhile.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Brilliant!!
Now if a Mercedes Stealership had got that job you would probably be £3k lighter, and they would strip the threads on your ABS pump for you,:rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:.

Thank god for Indes.:D

Alfie B

not that youre bitter or anything, eh Alfie? :lol::lol::lol:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom