320 Coupe or Sportline

peterhan

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Peugeot 406 coupe, bmw 319
Ladies and Gentlmen

I have the option of purchasing an E320 1995 Coupe in Blue. 2 owners, grey leather etc. But.....am I better of to seek out a E320 Coupe in Sportline format for the 'better ride' or is this academic unless your a racer?

Peter Irishboy:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum,, I would love either one, they are so nice :D:D

w124nut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 cabriolet 1994 E320
Ladies and Gentlmen

I have the option of purchasing an E320 1995 Coupe in Blue. 2 owners, grey leather etc. But.....am I better of to seek out a E320 Coupe in Sportline format for the 'better ride' or is this academic unless your a racer?

Peter Irishboy:D

I would suggest that a sportline model is more desirable but unless you are a "boy-racer", it is really academic as to what model you buy. Anyway it is my humble opinion that a "boy-racer" would not go for a W124.

Please be aware that some vendors claim that their offerings are "sportline" models whereas they are really standard models with just a few add-ons such as sportline gear shift lever, sportsline badges etc.

Check out the VIN number on the Russian web-site to confirm authenticity.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Both of these are beautiful cars. I think you find the sportline suspension parts are considerably more expensive than the standard, or so I'm told.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
arent the rear seats also different in a sportline? im sure i saw these cars to sell a few years ago (not the exact cars but you know what i mean!) and the "normal" ones appeared to have normal rear bench seats for 3 people and the "sportline" rear seats appeared to be shaped and sculpted almost into 2 seperate seats and they were only designed/had seatbelts etc for 2 rear passengers

charlfourie

Reaction score
Website
www.anotherphotographer.co.za
Your Mercedes
1979 Mercedes Benz 250
The rear seats on a Sportline are sunk in yes. So they are more suited for 2 people. Don't want to be the person hunked up on the center cushion thingie... hehe

But the seats are oh so comfy, and the Sportline spec suspension does feel very tidy in the corners. Even with my 230E you can feel the difference.

A good visual reference would be this site.... http://www.peachparts.com/sportline_suspension.htm

Last edited:

Apial

Reaction score
arent the rear seats also different in a sportline? im sure i saw these cars to sell a few years ago (not the exact cars but you know what i mean!) and the "normal" ones appeared to have normal rear bench seats for 3 people and the "sportline" rear seats appeared to be shaped and sculpted almost into 2 seperate seats and they were only designed/had seatbelts etc for 2 rear passengers

No. There was not a Sportline interior option for seats (except sportline cloth) in the Coupe as twin rear bucket seats were fitted as standard.The front seats were not available as Sportline either as these seats have to have a tilting back to allow rear access.

Apial

Reaction score
The rear seats on a Sportline are sunk in yes. So they are more suited for 2 people. Don't want to be the person hunked up on the center cushion thingie... hehe

But the seats are oh so comfy, and the Sportline spec suspension does feel very tidy in the corners. Even with my 230E you can feel the difference.

A good visual reference would be this site.... http://www.peachparts.com/sportline_suspension.htm

But the seats pictures are in the saloon. Coupes don't have rear door handles!

Highway Star

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SLK 230K
I'm not what you call a 'racer', but my Sportline C124 does corner noticably flatter than the non-Sportline versions I've driven. Also looks better IMO.

But, I'd still buy on condition first and above everything else. As said above, if you want great handling, go for an MX-5, not a C124! :D

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
I have two 230CE's. One is a Sportline and the other is not. There is a subtle but noticeable difference in the drive, and my preference would be for a Sportline. However, the difference would only affect my choice if all other things were equal.

Hence, the Sportline is the larder, and the non-Sportline is the cannibal....;).

Speaking of which, I wonder if I should take the springs, dampers and anti-roll bar off the larder and give them to the cannibal...:roll:

ps: I've also test-driven an E320 coupe with Sportline, and it was greeaaaaaaaaaat!

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Lots of W124s, particularly 320s, have the Sports Chassis option which is most of the important bits of the Sportline package. So check the VIN of a prospective purchase first

Sports Chassis cars roll less when cornering but there is a trade-off in the form of a slightly more unsettled ride. It can be irritating on indifferent surfaces but on smooth A roads the upside definitely outweighs the down

Some of the Sports Chassis / Sportline cars have quicker steering and that makes a huge difference. I don't know exactly which cars have this

In my experience there can more variation between individual cars than between a standard and Sports Chassis car simply due to age / wear / history

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom