Recently bought an ML 320 but hate it

ML320-Stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 ML 320 & RS 500 & Honda XLV motorbike
2 weeks ago my wife and i purchased a 2001 ML 320 as we decided we had enough Mitsubishi Shoguns over the years and wanted a change, we looked around for a while and found a nice example at a good price, 2 owners from new, full service history, well looked after etc.

After 2 weeks of owning it we decided that we hate it, not for anything wrong with the car, but just for what it is, maybe we have owned too many Shoguns and are too used to them ?? but we just dont like the ML. We have done around 700 miles in it so its not like its just go to Tesco, we took it on holiday with us.

Has anyone else bought one and decided its not for them? if so why do you think so ? we just can't put our finger on why?

Stu

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

Perhaps a longer test drive should have been in order, having said that if your signature is anything to go by you need to keep changing. It is good for the economy so sell the ML and buy something else, then repeat again in a couple of months after a couple of years the UK economy will be back on it's feet and you will have a warm glow from knowing that it was all down to you.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
err - no I haven't.
I did have the Mrs agree to replace her A3 turbo with another new one and when it arrived we discovered they'd hardened them up and instead of a few minor mods like nicer lights, trim etc, we had rock hard suspension, uncomfortably tight seats and rubber bands for tyres. A chiropractors dream. Kept it for 9 months, never really got on with it, and swapped it for a Jeep but then she'd really always wanted a 4wd (I didn't). But, that was ordered, new, as a 'same again' and as it was the first of the facelift models and none had been delivered yet, we couldn't test drive one.

I've never bought a used car I didn't like. Its a big purchase so I've done my homework before I go and If I don't fall in love with it during the test drive I don't buy it. Like most people I guess.

An ML is a completely different character to a Shogun. There's the whole teutonic german thing against Japanese plastic. Then there's the ML's luxury car feel against the Shogun's more agricultural feel.
We had a similar change from the Jeep. Big, lumbering feel, lumbering engine, sloppy suspension, short gear ranges, short torque band, long reach gearshift and levers all over the transmission tunnel for diff locks etc. The Mrs loved it but it wasn't my idea of fun. Now we have an FL2. Luxury car feel, quick, handles like a GTI, One small electronic knob with all the 4wd functions controlled by computer. A mini range rover. Both competent 4wd wagons, both very capable of tugging the horsebox across muddy fields, but utterly different characters. I swap cars with her one day a week to keep the mileage sane on the merc (Its parked outside the office now and there's a saddle sat on the back seat of my merc) . I never even considered it with the jeep.

If you still don't like it in another week, chop it in and get another Shogun and take your time next time.

OP
M

ML320-Stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 ML 320 & RS 500 & Honda XLV motorbike
We plan on keeping the ML for at least another month just to see if it grows on us, maybe it is "Brand Loyalty" to Mitsubishi for all these years thats making us not like the ML ?? i know the ML is a better motor, but even on the test drives we took and we did test drive a few over the course of 5 weeks looking for one, i didnt like it that much but the wife did, but now she's been driving one for the past couple of weeks she's gone off it, so maybe she's the same as me, blind to "brand loyalty"

Anyhow, im driving my RS500 for the moment as its summer and it can come out during the dry weather and we have not yet sold our old Shogun so if the ML has to go we wont be carless thank god.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I had a similar disappointment when I purchased my 2003 ML270. I was used to "faultless" Japanese 4WD's. Benz was too soft and bouncy, steering was woody and bump steered quite noticeably, throttle cable was sticky and engine was very flat off the mark.
I worked through the issues and pretty much sorted the vehicle out to my satisfaction - nothing is perfect. I setup a website just to record the events for others to maybe benefit from. Maybe it could help you. The link is http://members.optusnet.com.au/iananddesley/

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I had an ML270cdi and really liked it. One of the most comfortable cars on a really long run I've ever driven. We got 30 mpg on runs and the performance was good enough for the type of vehicle.

Funnily enough most ML owners on the two main websites seem to love them.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I can never understand the 4x4 following (any brand) they are just big and cumbersome-unless you are a farmer or need one for practical purposes--Chelsea tractors in my eyes are just a fashion statement--in the forces we used L/W- base landrovers and they were there for a purpose an practability-
Do you really need a 4x4 to take a child 1/2 a mile down the road to school as most of them seem to do ? I think Mecedes jumped on the bandwagen with the ML -just as a money making idea as they became popular -they should concentrate on making Luxury cars which is what they were always best at and built the reputation on .

P

PanzerMcGrory

Liked my ML and found it great cruising on the motorway with the visibility factor aswell.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
I can never understand the 4x4 following (any brand) they are just big and cumbersome-unless you are a farmer or need one for practical purposes--Chelsea tractors in my eyes are just a fashion statement--in the forces we used L/W- base landrovers and they were there for a purpose an practability-
Do you really need a 4x4 to take a child 1/2 a mile down the road to school as most of them seem to do ? I think Mecedes jumped on the bandwagen with the ML -just as a money making idea as they became popular -they should concentrate on making Luxury cars which is what they were always best at and built the reputation on .

We do live in the country and own a Discovery which we use every day.
In one vehicle,we have a 7 seat people carrier,an estate car,a van and a luxury saloon.
In any of these guises,it can tow our large trailer,on or off the road and when the weather is bad the permament four wheel drive offers us enhanced road holding and therefore safety.
The high seating position offers excellent visibility,especially at this time of year when the tall grass on the verges can often obscure the view at junctions.
It's a diesel and gives around 30 mpg which compares very well to many petrol cars which are not seen as being so environmentally unfriendly.

If it is pouring with rain,we will indeed occasionaly take our daughter the one mile to school in the next village in it,but that doesn't condemn either us or the vehicle.The parents who drive their children 1/2 a mile to school every day and then block the road with their cars are no more defensible if they do this in a Toyota Prius than in an ML.

As a final thought,many of the so called 4x4 cars are only two wheel drive,with a selectable four wheel drive option,just like the early Land Rovers.
The term 4x4 is just a convenient stereotype used by people who like sweeping generalisations such as "all Mercedes drivers" or "all BMW owners".
You know that whatever follows is going to be a rant:)
That's the end of my rant.....

Regards,
Nick.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
We do live in the country and own a Discovery which we use every day.
In one vehicle,we have a 7 seat people carrier,an estate car,a van and a luxury saloon.
In any of these guises,it can tow our large trailer,on or off the road and when the weather is bad the permament four wheel drive offers us enhanced road holding and therefore safety
Permanent four wheel drive gives increased traction in poor road conditions it doesn't give increased road holding. If you go into a bend too hot no matter how much traction you have you are going off.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I have never driven the ML 320, but did drive a Shogun Animal once.
If you prefer the Shogun, then the ML must be very poor indeed.
I found the Shogun to be one of the worst cars I ever ever driven, too slow, too noisy & no redeemable features I can think of on the road.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
I can understand the OP's feelings here, the Shogun will have been slower with more ponderous handling and apparently dreadful Japanese plastics as against superior German (aren't they made somewhere else?) plastics and have the wrong badge..;)

There is however something very right about those same Japanese 4x4's, they drive well in a truck like way which sounds undesirable but is strangely reassuring, backed up by usually impeccable reliability, though the Shoguns can suffer cyl head problems sometimes (that should ease the pain of some here who believe the sun shines through the 3 pointed star).

If you really want to change, but still want to keep a more 'traditional' 4x4 you could do worse than test drive a Toyota Amazon or LC5, both best in auto form but you no doubt already know that.3
The Amazon has got to be one of the most pleasant vehicles i've ever driven, with its air suspension (very reliable unlike some others) it smooths out the very worst of our pot holed third world roads with no drama.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can understand the OP's feelings here, the Shogun will have been slower with more ponderous handling and apparently dreadful Japanese plastics as against superior German (aren't they made somewhere else?) plastics and have the wrong badge..;)
Alabama! :rolleyes:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Chelsea tractors in my eyes are just a fashion statement

Couldn't agree more. Far too many blondes round here with RR sports and Cayanes.
I went to a school concert a few winters back and one of the mums got her car stuck on the playing field. A car park full of 4x4s and nobody could/would do a thing. I pulled her out with me E class in the end!!

I resisted the Mrs getting one for a long time - hence the A3s, but had to give in when she wanted to take her horse out, had the use of a trailer but the Audi wasn't going to cope.
To be fair the new FLs handle really well and I can understand the appeal of sitting high up. I used it for the commute yesterday and it kept up with the outside lane stuff almost as effortlessly as my E and the ability to see over cars to the idiots in front gave me a much safer feeling, but its still a lot of metal and machinery to lug around and most of the female drivers that seem to have them, can't actually drive or park them andwould be much better off with a mini.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Anyhow, im driving my RS500 for the moment as its summer and it can come out during the dry weather

lucky you! they were amazing cars! especially if you wired up and connected the extra 4 injectors and ran with fords motorsport chip! M3 killers on the touring car circuit in the mid-late 80's!

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Permanent four wheel drive gives increased traction in poor road conditions it doesn't give increased road holding. If you go into a bend too hot no matter how much traction you have you are going off.

I agree that permanent four wheel drive doesn't increase the grip of the tyres on the road.However,it displays none of the unwanted characteristics in poor weather of either rear wheel drive,ie the desire of the rear to overtake the front, or front wheel drive,massive understeer brought on by the front wheels having to steer and drive at the same time.
Overall,I reckon that makes the car safer to drive as it will lose its grip at a much later stage than a two wheel drive vehicle.

The downside,obviously,is that if one is prepared to push a permanent four wheel drive vehicle beyond its limits,the resulting crash is likely to be more severe.
This is something my wife and I try to avoid.

Regards,
Nick.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree that permanent four wheel drive doesn't increase the grip of the tyres on the road.However,it displays none of the unwanted characteristics in poor weather of either rear wheel drive,ie the desire of the rear to overtake the front, or front wheel drive,massive understeer brought on by the front wheels having to steer and drive at the same time.
Overall,I reckon that makes the car safer to drive as it will lose its grip at a much later stage than a two wheel drive vehicle.

The downside,obviously,is that if one is prepared to push a permanent four wheel drive vehicle beyond its limits,the resulting crash is likely to be more severe.
This is something my wife and I try to avoid.

Regards,
Nick.
Ok as far as acceleration is concerned but for braking and steering then a four wheel drive is no better and due to the type of tyres, weight and weight distribution then large four wheel drive cars don't fare so well as other types of cars.
I would be interested to know the comparative braking distance from 60mph for a Discovery compared to an E Class.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok as far as acceleration is concerned but for braking and steering then a four wheel drive is no better and due to the type of tyres, weight and weight distribution then large four wheel drive cars don't fare so well as other types of cars.
I would be interested to know the comparative braking distance from 60mph for a Discovery compared to an E Class.

I'm not sure where this discussion is going,but I am happy to continue.

My original post was merely a reaction to the sweeping remarks made by Teddycatkin about "4x4" vehicles and an attempt to point out that they are not all driven (badly) by the stereotypical blonde.
I highlighted the permanent four wheel drive as one of our vehicle's good points and to illustrate the fact that many "4x4" vehicles have only two driven wheels,unless four wheel drive is selected.

I do not claim the Discovery to be any better,or worse, than an E class,merely different and certainly with inferior build quality.

As to braking distances,I would expect that of the Discovery to be greater,it weighs two and a half tons before anyone gets into it and while it has excellent brakes,four pistons per caliper on the front, and ABS,it does not have "Brake assist".

I expect the braking distance of my company vehicle to be even greater despite the fact that it has twelve brakes and ABS, it was made by DAF and has been known to weigh up to 44 tonnes:)

Regards,
Nick.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI

If 4WD doesn't improve road holding, why are all serioius rally cars 4WD? From what I have seen of the WRC, many rallies are on paved roads, not dirt as they all used to be.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
If 4WD doesn't improve road holding, why are all serioius rally cars 4WD? From what I have seen of the WRC, many rallies are on paved roads, not dirt as they all used to be.

You can certainly go round corners with a lot more power on in a 4wd than you can in a conventional car. But I guess one could argue that is better traction?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom