Holiday car rental rip-off

Splatt

Reaction score
I have always rented my car from one of the multinationals at Alicante airport . This year because I did not read the web page closely I found that what I thought was the usual inclusive with damage waiver was in fact "insurance extra" bringing it up from £475.70 to £818.31 for 10 days. After a short discussion the nice lady at the rental desk agreed it was OTT for a Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI Ratmobile. She kindly tore up the reservation and rented it to me for the local rate of £498.84 inclusive.
I have, since coming back checked several of the main rental companies and they are all doing the same. Perhaps the best way is to only reserve the car not pay in advance and on getting to the airport get them to do it for the local rate or look at some of the other companies.

PS I would never want to own a Puggy 207 1.4 HDI.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I got a brand new i10 last year for 4 days rental 99 Euros from Europcar by negotiation.
To be honest it did the job well and the fuel economy was stunning.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I have always rented my car from one of the multinationals at Alicante airport . This year because I did not read the web page closely I found that what I thought was the usual inclusive with damage waiver was in fact "insurance extra" bringing it up from £475.70 to £818.31 for 10 days. After a short discussion the nice lady at the rental desk agreed it was OTT for a Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI Ratmobile. She kindly tore up the reservation and rented it to me for the local rate of £498.84 inclusive.
I have, since coming back checked several of the main rental companies and they are all doing the same. Perhaps the best way is to only reserve the car not pay in advance and on getting to the airport get them to do it for the local rate or look at some of the other companies.

PS I would never want to own a Puggy 207 1.4 HDI.

Another 'scam' - at San Javier (Murcia) Airport, anyway - is that the renter is charged for a full tank of fuel - 70-100€ approx. Regardless of how much remains when you return it - THERE IS NO REFUND...

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
On the other hand

Another 'scam' - at San Javier (Murcia) Airport, anyway - is that the renter is charged for a full tank of fuel - 70-100€ approx. Regardless of how much remains when you return it - THERE IS NO REFUND...

I have used "hard times" like the present as a lever in holiday car hire in the past.

Walking down the line of hire companies I have asked for winter rates in summer - and got them. Tends to support Splatt's view that the best deal you do is the one you do face to face, on the day - in a buyer's market at least.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
I have used "hard times" like the present as a lever in holiday car hire in the past.

Walking down the line of hire companies I have asked for winter rates in summer - and got them. Tends to support Splatt's view that the best deal you do is the one you do face to face, on the day - in a buyer's market at least.

Unfortunately at San Javier, it is a 'Hirer's Market'. Unless pre-booked, then there is absolutely NO chance of getting a hire car 'on the day' during the peak periods - like from now until the schools go back in September.

OP
Splatt

Splatt

Reaction score
I know that earlier this year during the Bank Holiday period there was not a single solitary available rental car to be had for any price in Alicante region. It seems the rental companies had assesed the effect of the downturn to such a degree that some people had to go without. I don`t know if this is still the case, August will tell.

Last edited:

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
I know that earlier this year during the Bank Holiday period there was not a single solitary available rental car to be had for any price in Alicante region. It seems the rental companies had assesed the effect of the downturn to such a degree that some people had to go without. I don`t know if this is still the case, August will tell.

You were absolutely right. There were no cars available over the Easter period at San Javier either. It was absolute chaos at the airport. It took longer to get the hire car, than it took to fly to Spain in the first place!!!

p.s. If you need car seats for the Little Ones - bring your own! The ones the car hirers use are total rubbish (usually broken too).

Last edited:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Maybe you have all done this however here goes: -

Insurance: - do what I did last year and search the internet for an insurance deal to cover your driving abroad requirements. Mine gave me full cover including accidental damage the only limitations was 'time' The max continuous cover at any one time was 30 days, I seem to recall there being a required number of days/weeks between each time you used the policy, 14 days comes to mind, although the policy lasted for a year.

The cost for the 'year' was £65 plus tax plus about £5 extra for such things like ruined tyres and windscreens each hire period but it did not cover personal possessions.

Car Hire: - I found the best deal on the internet albeit for a Daywoo, had to admit to a moment of panic when we arrived in Portugal and seeing the 'Hire Desk' well a bloke and his bird sitting in deck chairs, the present Mrs A had a touch of the vapours thinking I had hired a donkey and cart:shock: not much difference really! but all was well the car was dirty on the outside but clean on the inside with a full tank of go-juice and the few bits and bobs all worked:cool:

Last edited:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
The cost for the 'year' was £65 plus tax plus about £5 extra for such things like ruined tyres and windscreens each hire period but it did not cover personal possessions.

Correction to the above a year cost me £49.00 and the 'extra £5' covered the whole year. Just knew I should not have relied on my memory!

Top Bottom