faulty torque convertor???

clelly

Reaction score
Hi,
recently my c200 (2000 w202) has been playing up.When the engine is cold gears change no problem.Once they have warmed up they become tempremental and very sensitive to throttle control. If the car is in a low gear and I accelerate very gently then there is no problem,if however I accelerate more aggressively the car seems to lose power.The only way to cure this is to stop the car and restart it. It will then run fine untill the next time.
When this problem occurs and I stop to restart the car the engine appears to be reving slightly.

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply, I renewed the Maf just over a year ago, would it need replaced again so soon? Is there a way of testing to see if it is the maf thats faulty?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
try unplugging it and see if that cures your problem.

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
can I actually drive the car with the maf unplugged eg 2-3 miles down the road or do you mean just sit with the engine idling? thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Pete says, just unplug it and try the car, what make did you replace it with

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
replaced it with a bosch from euro

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
replaced it with a bosch from euro

That will be under guarantee then if it has failed,,give it a try unplugged, it may prove the point

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
Hi,
Just driven the car with the maf unplugged but no difference. I did notice that when the car was idling the rev counter was sitting stable but the engine still sounded like it was reving slightly.
When accelerating the car was making a sort of whirring noise ( sounds strange I know)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I am lost on this,,see what others think and what to try

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
could be a slight split/perished vaccuum hose perhaps? air getting into the manifold, outting the ecu on alert of a lean mixture and cutting engine power? this would make the car rev slightly and make a strange noise! sorry i cant be of more help. this problem isnt one ive ever heard of before!

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
torque convertor ???

Hi,
recently my c200 (2000 w202) has been playing up.When the engine is cold gears change no problem.Once they have warmed up they become tempremental and very sensitive to throttle control. If the car is in a low gear and I accelerate very gently then there is no problem,if however I accelerate more aggressively the car seems to lose power.The only way to cure this is to stop the car and restart it. It will then run fine untill the next time.
When this problem occurs and I stop to restart the car the engine appears to be reving slightly.

most recent development with the above problem occurs when I am sitting stationary with the engine running ( eg traffic lights ) the car wants to go forward of its own accord and judders slightly. To combat this I have been putting it into neutral and when lights change shifting it into drive. When I do this it takes a few seconds to catch and vibrates as I drive away. I know this is an unusual problem I just thought it was worth telling this development incase someone recognised the problem
many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Engine mounts collapsed, throwing the drive train out of line

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
Hi,

sorry to be harping on about this. whatever is going on, I thought the car was going into a safety type mode however it would appear that it is in fact firing on 3 cylinders.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then how about a coil pack going down, they do break down more when under load

OP
C

clelly

Reaction score
hi malcolm thanks for your reply can you tell me more, would this cause the car to intermittantly fire on 3 cylinders

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi malcolm thanks for your reply can you tell me more, would this cause the car to intermittantly fire on 3 cylinders

Yes it could,,coils and coil packs will often be OK at idle and low power but break down under load, like acceleration.

Worth just plugging into STAR at this stage to see what one, or what is going on

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom