190D Engine transplant.

lockforward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300D
Hi all ive just registred on this forum very good.I have just one question at the moment. I have a good 190D 2.5 1988 diesel engine.is it possible to transplant into a 2.0 litre 1993 190D diesel body and could i still use the 2.0 litre manual gearbox
for the 2.5 engine also is there any other problems witch could arise ie
springs.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
should fit ok. box should fit ok too. however you will need to change to the correct clutch as they may be different. if the 2.5 engine originally had an auto gearbox, you will need to change the flywheel too. front springs may need to be upgraded as the bigger engine may be heavier, and id keep an eye for it overheating for a while as it may need a bigger capacity radiator. only major complications i see may be with the electrics. not sure if these models had ecu's etc but the heater plug wiring will need changed from 4 to 5 cylinder if i remember correctly. im sure someone will be along soon, thats done it before!

OP
L

lockforward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300D
Thanks for your reply I have got the whole 2.5 car but its seen better days.
So its just a matter of swapping the bits over if its compatible

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you have the whole car there, the parts you need should all be there! the only worry id have is if the 2.5 car is automatic! the bodyshell will be identical. its just a case of taking the parts from 1 and swapping to the other. can be more fiddly and time consuming than anything else! incidentally, whats wrong with the 2.5 car?

OP
L

lockforward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300D
I ran into it with my works land rover and there both manuals.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
oh dear! i thought maybe it would be easier to sort the 2.5 than swap the engines, but sounds like maybe not! as both are manual, it should be relatively problem free. you may find that the gearing is different in either the gearbox, the diff or even both between the 2 cars, so if you re use the 2.0 box and diff on the 2.5 engine, it will probably be a bit quicker accelerating that it was but rev harder and use more fuel when cruising

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
should fit ok. box should fit ok too. however you will need to change to the correct clutch as they may be different. if the 2.5 engine originally had an auto gearbox, you will need to change the flywheel too. front springs may need to be upgraded as the bigger engine may be heavier, and id keep an eye for it overheating for a while as it may need a bigger capacity radiator. only major complications i see may be with the electrics. not sure if these models had ecu's etc but the heater plug wiring will need changed from 4 to 5 cylinder if i remember correctly. im sure someone will be along soon, thats done it before!

No ECU's to worry about.

And easy swap, espcially give OP has whole cars to play with.

OP
L

lockforward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300D
thanks for your help I will have bash the week end.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I have put a 1990/ 250d into my 1992sl got it perfect now, I would suggest while you have the 250d out fit new glow plugs so much easier than when engine is in the bay, the 250d was the best engine as its nicely balanced should do 110mph and give you 45mpg doing 80mpg.You have both cars so go onto the russian site check gearboxes from your VIN No, have you looked to see if engine mountains are in the same place? also cross member?I had to cut mine and reinforce it so engine would fit, also had to have engine mountains made,have quite alot taken out of fly wheel so torque converter from sl autobox would fit, you will not have to do all this, but the rev counter will have to be wired up to the alternator if you want it to work, also take electric fuel pump off,wiring glow plug relay took me along time till I sussed it, you will need the glow plug light out of the instrument panel. Good luck let us no how you get on hope this helps. Also had to tell D.V.L.A. Swansea give them new engine No and change petrol to deisel in my log book.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
An SL with a 250D engine in it??

Must be slow beyond belief...

Brian put up the figures a few weeks back, they like it, and Mrs B is the one that drives it

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom