Red, Yellow, Green Stuff

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
I am in the throws of performance up grading my car, E55 W211 without throwing loads of £K at it, primariliary for a one off track day I am booked on. Trying to educate myself on various items, but totally mystified by brake pads, what do Red, yellow, Green stuff brake pads do! any advice on this would be appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Green are great for the same braking power and they are kind to the disc.

The RED ceramic do have more bite, but wear the disc faster.

the Black are not good for road use

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
order a demon tweaks catologue and u'll find it all in there and more. :)

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Red stuff pads are what I am replacing my standard front pads for on my C43 (same front brakes as a 210 E class), and there going to be going on new MB discs, if you read their site, the red stuff pads are for vehicles with over 200BHP which yours being a 55 AMG obviously falls in to this catagory.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I used to own a Golf GTTdi 140 and I had fitted the Red Stuff pads on that car..
Once bedded in they were unbelievable..
On an empty lane I once demonstated their stopping power to a friend..Up to that point I had never used them in anger.. It was me who said "****** Hell: !!!!
Seriously the danger would be being hit in the back by cars with lesser brakes.
The Red stuff are ceramic based..
I contacted EBC to tell them how impressed I was with the Red stuff product..They told me that they would not normally have recommended the Red stuff for a Golf!!
When I got my C270 CDI I re contacted them and they said that due to the weight of this car they would have no hesitation in recommending the Red stuff pads in this instance.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
These Red pads sound good; but whats the downside against norrmal MB pads for my 350SL R230 which is due for pads soon? I guess its price v pad wear rate v disc wear etc:?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These Red pads sound good; but whats the downside against norrmal MB pads for my 350SL R230 which is due for pads soon? I guess its price v pad wear rate v disc wear etc:?

Yes the red do give bite, but so do the green with much less disc wear, with the red you can hear them working, the 230 brakes are excellent anyway

OP
R

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
Which of these pads have ECE 90 certification?

I ask in total ignorance, but why are you asking this, is some sort of conformity certificate for road use or along those lines? intrested

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>but why are you asking this

ECE 90 means that (among other things) the brake pads have been tested to ensure they offer similar levels of braking force when compared with the original equipment. Fitting them, therefore, does not count as a modification in the eyes of the insurance companies. If you fit brake pads without ECE 90 certification, you should notify your insurers.

It's entirely possible to produce an unsafe braking system. If, for example, pads which produce more friction force are fitted on the rear axle, the vehicle's propensity for rear locking, and hence instability is increased.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Paint something a bright colour and the magpies will come with wallets open!

I would suggest having braided hoses fitted would be a better option. Fast road or track pads work best with some heat in them and aren't as effective as OEM when cold.

Also be aware that the pads a new car is delivered with are not the same compound as those direct OEM replacements.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EBC brake parts do conform with ECE R-90

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>> EBC brake parts do conform with ECE R-90

All of them?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom