Advice on SLCs...

Catch22

Reaction score
I saw a 350SLC a few years ago and immediately fell in love with it. Recently I've been looking into getting 350 or 450SLC, however I'm pretty sure it's going to remain a dream for me at the moment because I drive about 23 miles to work every day and only have space for one car - I don't think it would be economical enough to drive to work and back with its 15 mpg.

Anyhow, I wanted to ask some questions, as there is a possibility I could get one as a project car, and would like to know anyway for future reference:

I read a couple of pages on the net about people doing engine swaps into SLs - would these apply equally to an SLC? I presume they would more-or-less because the chassis is near identical (but how near?) Anyone done one? Any idea what you can fit in there without too much trouble and expense?

What's a decent mileage for the SLCs, and what's a good price here in the UK? Looking around I see prices of £2.5k to £7k, many seem a bit steep (7K!?!)...

Anything I should look out for or be wary of?

Thanks!

Last edited:

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Rust, rust and more rust. The SLC is quite a bit longer than the SL however share engines. You'd have to really love one to take one on as a project - a lot of time, effort and cost to end up with a car with limited appeal and no real market value.

OP
C

Catch22

Reaction score
I heard that already (and saw the pictures), and it's not good news. Why don't they make cars that look like that any more?

Anyway, I'm still interested, if anyone's got any useful info it'd be much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you really want one and there are a few nice ones out there, then get the best one body wise that you can.

Yes I agree they are super looking cars.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
In terms of engines, the 380 I had would do low 20s MPG, I would say the best engine to do a swap with if you want to would be a 103, 2.6 or 3.0 straight 6, you shouldnt have too much trouble doing this as the sl's came with this engine fitted anyway, so it should fit pretty easily, that would give you a little more economy for everyday driving

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Saw some beauties when I was on holiday in South Africa. RHD, rust free, modest mileage - would be the ideal SLC.

Yes bring ones of those back and look after it very nice

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom