SLK 200 Performance question...

Chadford

Reaction score
Hi,
My 1st post so please be gentle...

The misses has recently bought a SLK 200 Auto. This is her 1st Auto and it has improved her driving no end (I probably don't need to explain why).
I noticed that there is an option to drive the car in a sort of manual way by pushing the 'gear stick' left and right.
Is it possible to get more performance using this semi manual method rather than letting the auto sort it out for you?

I noticed that the 0-62mph figures for the manual verses auto are very similar 7.6sec manual, 7.9sec auto. I guess the auto is optimised for the auto gearbox, so I wonder if would be actually slower using the semi manual method?

I also wondered if the semi manual method is there to get you out of difficult situations such as icy inclines?

Any thoughts, thanks.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,
My 1st post so please be gentle...

The misses has recently bought a SLK 200 Auto. This is her 1st Auto and it has improved her driving no end (I probably don't need to explain why).
I noticed that there is an option to drive the car in a sort of manual way by pushing the 'gear stick' left and right.
Is it possible to get more performance using this semi manual method rather than letting the auto sort it out for you?

I noticed that the 0-62mph figures for the manual verses auto are very similar 7.6sec manual, 7.9sec auto. I guess the auto is optimised for the auto gearbox, so I wonder if would be actually slower using the semi manual method?

I also wondered if the semi manual method is there to get you out of difficult situations such as icy inclines?

Any thoughts, thanks.

Hello and welcome. What a lucky lady.

I have had several cars with this function and have almost never used it.

I don't think the ability to select gears manually achieves any greater performance. It can be useful though in several situations;
  1. when you want to hold a lower gear for engine braking on long steep descents
  2. when you want to use a lower gear to improve adhesion (driving briskly through z bends or on a twisting road)
  3. when you want to use a lower gear to ensure continuous power, say through a large roundabout, when you suspect the gearbox would otherwise change up.
I am sure others will comment, but that would be my take, although as I have said, I almost never use it.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
My SLK has the Tip auto box and I use the Tip function all the time.

The car is great fun in full auto mode - but even more fun if you exploit the Tip function fully. The trick is to use it just like a manual box (without having to bother your left foot!) and carefully match the engine revs during the change.
In many instances the full auto will change up when you'd be better off in a lower gear, negotiating a series of fast bends for example or utilising engine braking and then ensuring that you're poised to accelerate without having to wait for the box to change down.

I think I've said just what Alex did really, but learning to use the Tip function, while not actually improving acceleration,will let you cover ground cross-country quicker and more satisfyingly: and if you just want to amble along with the sun on your face and the breeze in your hair, full auto is very relaxing.

Last edited:

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
I don't really use the tiptronic on my SLK other than on the odd occasion to force the transmission to change down for extra braking.

I find that the auto box is responsive enough for my needs to not really need the tiptronic feature.

OP
C

Chadford

Reaction score
Thanks guys that's very informative.

For the misses she'll probably never stray any further than the auto box, however she getting to drive with the auto box in quite a sporty manner :shock: (something she never did with her last manual car).

Just as an academic question I was wondering how much difference there was between the manual and auto in terms of driving in a sporty way?
The 0-62mph figures are very similar but probably of little use because these figures are almost certainly straight line speed measurements and don't represent the pleasure of throwing the thing about a bit. I guess this is quite a subjective question.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Thanks guys that's very informative.

For the misses she'll probably never stray any further than the auto box, however she getting to drive with the auto box in quite a sporty manner :shock: (something she never did with her last manual car).

Just as an academic question I was wondering how much difference there was between the manual and auto in terms of driving in a sporty way?
The 0-62mph figures are very similar but probably of little use because these figures are almost certainly straight line speed measurements and don't represent the pleasure of throwing the thing about a bit. I guess this is quite a subjective question.

Good for her - it is after all a sports car!

The auto gearbox 'learns' to optimise the change points from your style of driving. If most of your motoring is around town or just pottering about, the upchanges will occur earlier than if the car is driven 'con brio'

You're right, the straight line 0-62 is pretty academic and hardly reflects the performance under real driving conditions. If you are enjoying a cross country trip on what the french describe graphically as a 'route sinueuse', where frequent gear changes are required to maximise your average speed, using the Tip function will give a faster time than relying on the auto. (assuming you are a competent driver!).

This is not to denigrate the auto box. It is very responsive, giving fast and smooth changes, but a human input will always adapt better to the exact demands of road condition, visibility and potential hazard.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have the Tiptronic box on my SL the only time that I use it is when I am leaning on the gear shift by mistake :confused:

Lisa Jayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SLK 230K & 2003 ML270 CDI Inspiration
I have the Tiptronic box on my SL the only time that I use it is when I am leaning on the gear shift by mistake :confused:

I don't have tiptronic in mine but hubby always manages to knock it into 4th when fiddling with the stereo :( .....(one good reason not to let him drive it often!)

I agree the only way to drive an SLK is in a sporty manner :cool:

Silver-racer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'02 C220CDI SC + '02 SLK200K, now gone '07 CLK 220cdi + 57 A160 cdi both gone, into 09 C250 cdi w204
Hi,
You can have lots of fun using the tiptronic for fast getawys from lights, idiots etc. by holding the lever left for a few seconds, this locks he Gearbox into first gear, then press foot firmly/quickly on the louder pedal so it goes in to kickdown, the car will accelarate right up to the red line and then change up each gear at the red line point untill you lift off or break the law. This can be lots of fun , but don't look at the fuel gauge if you do this a few times as it can give very poor MPG figures - but well worth it!!!:lol:

Gerry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
You can have lots of fun using the tiptronic for fast getawys from lights, idiots etc. by holding the lever left for a few seconds, this locks he Gearbox into first gear, then press foot firmly/quickly on the louder pedal so it goes in to kickdown, the car will accelarate right up to the red line and then change up each gear at the red line point untill you lift off or break the law. This can be lots of fun , but don't look at the fuel gauge if you do this a few times as it can give very poor MPG figures - but well worth it!!!:lol:

Gerry

I must try that :D:D when I want to get rid of my surplus fuel

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With your V8 Malcolm, I wouldn't have thought that was a pressing problem!
:lol:

I have my moments sometimes, one full throttle burst equals 500 miles of careful driving:D

OP
C

Chadford

Reaction score
The auto gearbox 'learns' to optimise the change points from your style of driving.

Wow, that's really impressive :cool:. Have you seen any documentation that explains how this works in detail?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The gearbox ECU talks to the engine ECU. the gearbox only has a tiny memory, but enough say to know that if you were in a hurry and using kick down, then it will be ready and waiting for the next change,,once you back off it reverts back to normal changes.

An example can be shown by engaging CC just after using the kick down and then do the same again without kicking down where the speed pick up will be much more leasurly

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Wow, that's really impressive :cool:. Have you seen any documentation that explains how this works in detail?

Sorry, I have no info on the nuts and bolts of the system or it's operational parameters.

I quote from my drivers handbook ;- 'the transmission shift system automatically adapts to your individual driving style by continuously adjusting its shift points.
These shift point adjustments take into account the current operating and driving conditions.
If the operating conditions change, the automatic transmission reacts by adjusting the gearshift program.'

It does work - I can always feel the difference after my wife has driven the car..... ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It does work - I can always feel the difference after my wife has driven the car..... ;)
could that not be because the seat is as far forward as it will go, and you are nearer to your destination:rolleyes:;)

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
could that not be because the seat is as far forward as it will go, and you are nearer to your destination:rolleyes:;)

Doh! - You're right of course Malcolm. Sometimes you need someone else to point out the obvious......... :lol:;)

P

PanzerMcGrory

I don't have tiptronic in mine but hubby always manages to knock it into 4th when fiddling with the stereo :( .....(one good reason not to let him drive it often!)

I agree the only way to drive an SLK is in a sporty manner :cool:

How can he knock it into fourth if you dont have tiptronic?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom