Maybe changing the car soon

ruane

Reaction score
Got an E270CDI 2003 model. Think i got a good one with a behr rad, and the sbc pump replaced by main dealer before i bought it. That being said, i hit the 100,000 mile mark last week, so thinking i might change her over next couple months. What's the E280CDI like? V6? Any known issues like valeo or sbc. Prob will get a '06 model or newer. Maybe even a E220CDI. Just looking advice as in what i should look for and any known issues that should influence my decision

Thanks, Tony.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Facelifted E220cdi from 2006 has 170bhp. Although this is less than the 190 of the 280cdi, it is worth remembering that the 220 is lighter so performance is very similar. Certainly worth driving. I was planning to get the 280cdi but drove the 220 and was very pleasantly surprised.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Either keep your motor as its depreciation from above 100k will be much less, its done most of it and a good 270cdi will clear 300k miles. Its a physcological thing but no need to change it.

I wouldn't chop it in for a 280cdi, I'd try and plump for a 320cdi which has the same mpg but a fair bit more oomph. As Hawk says MPG/performance wise, the best comprimise is the newer 220cdi with the power of your 270cdi but the consumption thats better than the old 220cdi.

wemorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
Many people buy MB for their quality and longevity. 100k for a diesel is low mileage. So keep it for another 100k and get some more value from it.

Obviously, if you've cash to burn then a newer E320CDi would be my premium choice and the E220CDi my 'budget' choice.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Many people buy MB for their quality and longevity. 100k for a diesel is low mileage. So keep it for another 100k and get some more value from it.

Obviously, if you've cash to burn then a newer E320CDi would be my premium choice and the E220CDi my 'budget' choice.

I wouldn't say 100k miles is low. Suspension components will feel their age and minor replacable parts will need changed if they haven't already. A well maintained car @ 100k is as good as new, but one thats been scrimped on will have had the chance to become a shed. If the OP has maintained the car well, I'd strongly advise them to keep the car for another 100k miles and enjoy running it. If they have money for another car, maybe a wee sports car is in order :D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I agree with the general drift here. If your car is going well @ 100,000 then keep it. At that mileage you would be bound to suffer serious depreciation and that, combined with the costs of renewal, will be vastly greater than keeping the current car, enjoying it's longevity and replacing parts as and when they need it.

We buy them for their durability. Why not accept the premium that can give?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Dont forget the SBC dropped on the later cars and no known problems

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Dont forget the SBC dropped on the later cars and no known problems

thats all the reason id need to avoid one in the first place! the SBC system! is there a way to visually tell if its got SBC or not? or is it just by vin that you can tell for sure?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Changing at 100k is psycological. Mine is on 74k now and will hopefully crack 100k in the next 12 months (if it doesn't it will probably mean that business has gone south).
I replaced my E240 at 72k and to be honest, partially regretted it. It was running beautifully but i'd got used to sub 50k mileage so felt I should change it. Someone got a bargain and judging by the way she was running, got (and is probably still getting) the best years from it.

On this one I'm determined to avoid such a mistake. I have noticed some improvement in refinement and ride in the last 20k or so and as a well looked after example, aside from the mileometer I doubt there will be any obvious indications of the mileage.

Mercs do tend to improve with age for some reason. Sure a nice newish E is lovely but an older one has charms of its own, and without the depreciation, so why not enjoy a bit of payment and depreciation free motoring?
Its true that a newer one will be improved but that's always the case. Ideally put the payments aside and run the one you have. When it does come time to change, you'll get an even better one ...

benz1

Reaction score
Keep It

My 04 E320cdi is on 92K - should clock 100k 1st quarter next year. It still drives excellently.

It has had nothing but Full Main dealer service for everything as I just finished a service plus contract this month. Have had the SBC pump replaced, new brake pads and discs, brake fluid and transmission change, bushes etc... It drives like a new car - only smoother because of it's miles.

I had always planned to keep it till about 2011 and then get an 18mth + old W212 but right now, I dislike the look of the 212 so much I might keep it till the 213 comes out! (or change it for a Lexus GS).

On those engines, if well maintained, 100K is not much and like others have said there isn't really much depreciation at this stage.

As far as I know, the SBC pump was discontinued with the face lift model introduced in late 2006.

Last edited:
P

PanzerMcGrory

270cdi is a nice sounding large engine and my 280cdi is effortless and sounds sweet.
nothing wrong with the 220cdi, think some would challenge you to pistols at dawn if you badmouthed one but personally i like the way the 3.0 V6 yawns at anything you ask it to do plus you have the nice two tailpipes coming out its arse.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270cdi is a nice sounding large engine and my 280cdi is effortless and sounds sweet.
nothing wrong with the 220cdi, think some would challenge you to pistols at dawn if you badmouthed one but personally i like the way the 3.0 V6 yawns at anything you ask it to do plus you have the nice two tailpipes coming out its arse.

Tastefully put, as ever Don. There is no substitute for a high amble factor, complemented by the ease with which you just waft away from lesser mortals - after all their top speed is not far along your torque curve - and there is still a lot left.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
The case for not changing is endless. But humans enjoy change. And if you've had your car a longish time and fancy something different, can afford the extra depreciation, and enjoy motoring and cars, why not?

Which engine? They all have their merits. Drive a few and choose.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The case for not changing is endless. But humans enjoy change. And if you've had your car a longish time and fancy something different, can afford the extra depreciation, and enjoy motoring and cars, why not?

Which engine? They all have their merits. Drive a few and choose.

I generally find that the "kiss of death" for my cars is when I work it all out logically and decide to keep them

They are usually history within a few weeks!

OP
R

ruane

Reaction score
Thanks, mine is looked after, new front shocks and castor arms recently, new tyres last week, good indie services it, and SBC has already been done. Only fault is passenger front door lock pops up a bit after locking and sometimes has to be locked 2 or 3 times to actually lock. Not bothered spending couple hundred on a new locking motor. Main r4eason considering the change is SBC. If it goes wrong it's a bill i'd rather not have. Would much prefer to put the money towards a newer non-SBC car. thanks for all the replies

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks, mine is looked after, new front shocks and castor arms recently, new tyres last week, good indie services it, and SBC has already been done. Only fault is passenger front door lock pops up a bit after locking and sometimes has to be locked 2 or 3 times to actually lock. Not bothered spending couple hundred on a new locking motor. Main r4eason considering the change is SBC. If it goes wrong it's a bill i'd rather not have. Would much prefer to put the money towards a newer non-SBC car. thanks for all the replies

Fair comment ,,and you have itchy feet as well so why not that late 211,,its a great car in all respects

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom