Handbrake lever won't return all the way

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C Class Avantgarde Estate
Hi - the foot operated handbrake lever on my C-CLASS C220 CDI AVANTGARDE SE (203) estate is hyper sensitive - if my trouser lightly touches the pedal (unintentionally) it causes the dashboard alarm to flash up that the handbrake is on. I can reset it by lifting it up with my foot while pulling the dash lever or sometimes I need to lean under and lift it up with my hand while pulling on the dash lever. The handbrake itself work OK (i.e. locks the brakes) but the problem seems to be the actual foot lever is not fully returning up (a dodgy return spring perhaps?). Does anyone have any experience of this, is it a fairly simple repair job or do I need to cancel the kid's summer holidays? (joke!) Many thanks for any assistance/advice.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Your handbrake cable needs to be adjusted, the mechanism is under the rear seats in the middle, remove the cover plates, its easy DIY but dont over adjust the cable, adjust with the brake off and car in P.

jib

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Your handbrake cable needs to be adjusted, the mechanism is under the rear seats in the middle, remove the cover plates, its easy DIY but dont over adjust the cable, adjust with the brake off and car in P.

jib

is it not better to adjust with the car in N so you can push against it to ensure the wheels are still free after you have adjusted the cable? assuming of course you are on level ground!

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for your help - I'll give this a go as soon as it stops raining!:cool:

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can't find handbrake adjuster under back seat!

Several weeks later and the sun is shining - I have found the handbrake mechanism under the rear seat and there certainly appears to be slack in the cable, however there does not appear to be an obvious adjuster for the cable in there - one end disappears via a plastic cap back into the bodywork towards the front of the car and the other end stops in a metal mechanism which also has the two rear handbrake cables attached. The two rear handbrake cables appear to have very small bolts (adjusters?) but there is nothing on the end of the front handbrake cable - it appears to have a one inch plastic casing and then enters the metal mechanism and is held in place by a metal stud which does not have any adjuster on it either. Should I be looking for an adjuster at the front of the car, i.e. on the footbrake mechanism in the front footwell instead? I'm probably being dum but I cannot see where to adjust the cable under the back seat. Any help please?!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Give the whole thing a spray with wd40 and work the handbrake on and off, keep doing this and it will free off, that joint seizes up due to the water of the road!

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there not an adjuster under the rear seat then?

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok... tried that, soaked it all in wd and worked the handbrake repeatedly - seems a bit better but there is still slack in the last inch or so of the pedal ride when the handbrake is released, meaning it does not fully return and so keeps setting off the handbrake alarm. Any other ideas please? (thanks).

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Soaked it all in wd40 and worked the handbrake repeatedly - seems a bit better but there is still slack in the last inch or so of the pedal ride when the handbrake is released, meaning it does not fully return and so keeps setting off the handbrake alarm. Any other ideas please? (thanks).

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any other ideas please?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
do the cables after the splitter/adjuster pull equally as you apply/release the handbrake? dads c class had a sticky cable and gave similar symptoms. my w202 c class also did that and needed the cable adjusted at the splitter. remove 3 bolts/nuts under the seat to remove the cover plate, then adjust. 10mm spanner if i remember right. nowhere near dads car so cant look at it im afraid

OP
B

barkerooney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
¬

thanks, but my difficulty is finding anything on the splitter to adjust!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the cable at the front of the splitter that pulls the splitter when you press the pedal to appply the parking brake should have a 10mm nut to adjust it, if i remember right!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom