1995 w124 280

Stu_CDX

Reaction score
Right... I'm at a loose end... HELP!!!

The 124 when starting first time from cold... ISN'T starting. We're talking stone cold here, not used for 24 hours.

The engine just turns and turns and turns... Not firing. When you release the key, it runs on one cylinder and shakes from side to side a little, then dies. A brief press on the throttle whilst starting, and it starts but misfires a bit when revving until, you put it into Drive, and everything is back to Mercedes standard. Lovely runner as long as you have it in drive!

Even running for 5 seconds and shutting it off, when attempting to start again, perfect. No problems.

No power issues, goes like a rocket. Returning good MPG and driving smooth as it ever has done.

This problem has been had for a year, all Emissions are spot on and recieved good comments at MOT time.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think it will be a high voltage problem and damp in the electrics

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
My point is that it fires when you release the key. Suggestive of no/not much spark when it's turning over

There is a switch on the gearlever that affects the way the ECU controls things in D / N / R, etc, and it'd be instructive to know if this is part of the problem

The nightmare scenario is a bad ECU so I'd fault-find the rest first

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Can you use an LED to read the blip fault codes from pin 8 to find if any stored ?

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
Right... I'm at a loose end... HELP!!!

The 124 when starting first time from cold... ISN'T starting. We're talking stone cold here, not used for 24 hours.

The engine just turns and turns and turns... Not firing. When you release the key, it runs on one cylinder and shakes from side to side a little, then dies. A brief press on the throttle whilst starting, and it starts but misfires a bit when revving until, you put it into Drive, and everything is back to Mercedes standard. Lovely runner as long as you have it in drive!

Even running for 5 seconds and shutting it off, when attempting to start again, perfect. No problems.

No power issues, goes like a rocket. Returning good MPG and driving smooth as it ever has done.

This problem has been had for a year, all Emissions are spot on and recieved good comments at MOT time.

So in park it does not want to know, but once it's in drive it starts fine?

Inhibitor switch?

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
For me it sounds like a fuel problem.

The fuel pressure is not holding up over the 24 hours or longer.

You can get garage to check fuel pressure at schrader valve on fuel rail when car has been standing for a day or so. It should be 3/4 bar.

Fuel pressure regulator or non return valve in fuel pump (can be replaced seperately).

Top Bottom