W210 noisy on startup after getting hot

big-ernie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The rubber on the fillercap of my W210 E200 estate perished on the weekend and I lost most of the water. I had the kids in the car and managed to limp it home a few miles (it got close to the red 120C, but the fan kicked in to keep it from getting there). Replaced the rubber and the temp is fine now, only problem now is when I start her up from cold, she rattles/knocks on inital startup, but then quietens down and drives fine .... could this be the oil as it boiled and thined and is taking it's time to get round the engine ?, or do you think this is probably something a lot worse or different. I thought the engine had gone, but literally after 30 sec - 1 min it is quiet and runs fine....I would have thought that if the engine was on the way out it wouldn't go quiet again ? gonna do an oil change this w/e to check that out, but any ideas from you guys would be apprechiated !

Cheers
Big-ernie

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
hard to say really could be rockers,,could be timing chain,could be belt tensioner,,is the oil level OK and does the oil look OK

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The rubber on the fillercap of my W210 E200 estate perished on the weekend and I lost most of the water. I had the kids in the car and managed to limp it home a few miles (it got close to the red 120C, but the fan kicked in to keep it from getting there). Replaced the rubber and the temp is fine now, only problem now is when I start her up from cold, she rattles/knocks on inital startup, but then quietens down and drives fine .... could this be the oil as it boiled and thined and is taking it's time to get round the engine ?, or do you think this is probably something a lot worse or different. I thought the engine had gone, but literally after 30 sec - 1 min it is quiet and runs fine....I would have thought that if the engine was on the way out it wouldn't go quiet again ? gonna do an oil change this w/e to check that out, but any ideas from you guys would be apprechiated !

Cheers
Big-ernie

Id get it checked out physically by someone who knows what they are doing. better to be safe than sorry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
True what MB tech says an experienced guy would know instantly

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom