TMC Question

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Can anyone shed any light on what I need for TMC to work? I have a S320 CDI with COMAND, but it says something about No TMC Service available when I select it. It is a subscription service or does it just work of RDS or similar?

The version of the nav disk I have is pretty old - the packet that came with the car says COMAND APS Version 2003 / 2.2 on the back with an MB part no of A211 827 39 59. Does the TMC feature require a more recent version?

Have toyed with buying the latest disk anyway as mine is now missing a few roads round here. Is this the way forward?

TIA,

Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Billy,,I see that you have been a member much longer than me:D:D

Yes you need a disc that has TMC, the new disc for 2009/10 have this feature now (just check that the one you buy has it on it)

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
Hello Bill, agree with Malcolm. Just curious, I assumed the S320 would have had Comand 2 or 2.5. What year is your car?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
be warned, to use TMC you get tuned to classic FM :) ok if you like that sort of thing

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
be warned, to use TMC you get tuned to classic FM :) ok if you like that sort of thing

My Comand searches for info for TMC but cannot always find anything even though classic is available, maybe that is because nothing ever happens down where I am.

Thought that they had 2 tuners so that you could still listen to the rubbish that you were tuned to, but I have not had my TMC disc long enough yet,, either that or I must get out more :D

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
The TMC info comes in on the back of Classic FM but you don't have to be tuned to that station. :)

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
The TMC info comes in on the back of Classic FM but you don't have to be tuned to that station. :)

You do to receive TMC updates on my COMAND 2.5. It doesn't bother me as I'm usually listening to my MP3 player. Sometimes, in certain parts of South London where pirate radio stations clutter the FM band around Classic FM's frequency, it can't pick up Classic FM and so TMC cannot update.

duraman

Reaction score
My Comand searches for info for TMC but cannot always find anything even though classic is available, maybe that is because nothing ever happens down where I am.

Thought that they had 2 tuners so that you could still listen to the rubbish that you were tuned to, but I have not had my TMC disc long enough yet,, either that or I must get out more :D

Dual tuners model year 2002 onwards i think!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dual tuners model year 2002 onwards i think!

Mine is a comand 2, from 2002, with last years map disk. If I enable TMC then comand tunes into Classic, if I then change back to KissFM, then TMC reports that it is no longer running

duraman

Reaction score
Mine is a comand 2, from 2002, with last years map disk. If I enable TMC then comand tunes into Classic, if I then change back to KissFM, then TMC reports that it is no longer running

I've just checked, it was 2002 for 'S' class's, don't know about other models though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will post back on this later when I see what mine does,,I have the 2.

Just been down and tried it,,I was tuned to radio2 while it was searching for a TMC station it went dead while searching, so looks as though Mark is correct, thanks Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No dual tuner in my 2002 S. Could it be on facelift models late 2002?

The only major change was in 2003 (late) when they went over to wide screen, there are no production changes on this front with the 2 or 2.5

OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Hello Billy,,I see that you have been a member much longer than me:D:D

I may have been a member for longer that you Malcolm, but I couldn't hold a candle to the volume and quality of posts you have contributed!!!

A little more information on my problem / question. From reading ComandOnline, it would appear that I have the COMAND APS (NTG1) system fitted in my car. It's the wide screen model with the tape player and DVD drive hidden behind the screen, and the Navigation drive in the boot.

If I select Nav or Map, I do get a TMC option on the soft buttons, but when I select it I get the message "No TMS transmitter found in the broadcast area". This happens even when I am tuned in to Classic FM. I have seen a v 9.0 disc for my car on ebay, and the vendor states that you need a software upgrade before installing the 9.0 disc if you have old versions like 2.2 (such as mine) He will include this in the sale, so I'm, tempted - does anyone know if this is correct about the software upgrade, or is that not necessary on my unit?

Thanks for all the tips and info so far,

Cheers,
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have different systems, but on mine the TMC functions are turned off if a none TMC disc is in the unit.

I do know that TMC must be marked on the disc for it to work.

I went out to day and tried mine, and like yours "no TMC station found" It did work once on a trip but I have not had it long enough to be very good.

If you care to put up the next 6 numbers after WDB of the VIN I will check to see it the soft ware need to be updated for you.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My TMC always works, I thought classic fm had a good reception all over the UK?.

Mind you, TMC is very overated, at least the free version is that we have as it will only cover the main motorways.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My TMC always works, I thought classic fm had a good reception all over the UK?.

Mind you, TMC is very overated, at least the free version is that we have as it will only cover the main motorways.

The way that I read it mark was that you program in a route,,then add TMC. if there were no hold ups on my selected route then none would come up. I have no problem picking up Classic FM on both frequencies.

I have a menu in the radio section. If I go into stored channels, there is a (1) highlighted by the station name.

And my handbook list all the BBC channels only when i next do a trip away from home will I know what happens

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Well my *** has TMC without me having to listen to Classic FM. Ner, ner. :p

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
silly question time here, but whats TMC? must be posh if Malcolm has it!!!!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom