Electric Windows

chrispbug

Reaction score
A140 T reg
My mate has a strange problem with the windows on his car. 3 of the windows work fine, but the driver's window will open but is very reluctant to close. It's very sluggish and needs the button to be repeatly 'stabbed' at to get the window to close.
We've tried the reset method as recommended but I think the motor is nearing the end of its life.
As he rarely has back seat passengers, to solve the problem he wants to use one of the back window motors as a replacement.
First of all are all 4 motors the same and if so how easy are they to take out and refit ? and How easy is it to take off the door linings ?
Any help appreciated

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
It looks like probably not. If you go here:

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=168031&VIN=

and have a look at the front and rear doors, the motors have different part numbers (plus tehre are about six different part nos just for the front left motor!!) You'll need your VIN to get the exact right part I think.

Cheers,
Bill

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
The actual motor is the same --but fittings (brackets bolt holes) only allow the same side and front or back --you need to get the same one to replace it .

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I think the motor is nearing the end of its life.

I don’t believe that windows motors ever die, the get sick and don’t perform properly or the just stop moving up or down and so there owners replace them with new.
I think cleaning them can in some, if not most cases, bring them back to life again.

There are two cases known to me where cleaning was successful.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46900&highlight=cleaning+motor&page=4

Below is the rear window motor for a W202, C Class being detached from the cable type lifting mechanism, different from your car, but same principal.

Regarding swapping the back to the front, there may be two other issues that could prevent you doing a swap;
1…The spindle on the back motor (at yellow line) may not fit into the front mechanism.
2…The electrical arrangement of the motor wiring of the back window may not agree with the motor plug at the front.

Dec

N.jpg

Last edited:

robert_jean221

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 C220 cdi Estate (W203)
There was an excellent post on this forum some time ago, which suggested spraying PTFE lubricant on the window guides. My 210 was doing the same thing you have mentioned, and the spray sorted it out. Might be worth a try.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I would agree that the window guides are probably very dirty and just need cleaning and lubricating. I suppose that PTFE would do the job, I used a Silicone lubricant myself.

What tends to happen with these windows is that the "regulator" (the mechanical mechanism to raise and lower the window) breaks rather than the motor.

The motor has a failsafe to prevent it damaging itself if the load is too great - this is what gives the "sticky" behaviour requiring multiple clicks of the button to raise the window.

OP
C

chrispbug

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - very helpful

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
PTFE is less sticky than silicon and works very well

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom