CL 500, what to look for.

ENZ91

Reaction score
Website
www.maranellohouse.com
Hello all, It's been a while since I've been on.
I'm considering coming back to the fold and swapping my 3200 GT Maserati for a CL 500 but know almost nothing about them.
I've actually been offered a black with black leather 2000 500 with 95K, history and AMG bits added. I haven't went as far as asking what exact AMG bits have been added as I'm still weighing it up but I can see it's got the wheels and exhuast tail pipes.
Is there any issues with them I should be looking out for.

Hope someone as always can give me a good bit of guidence.

Ta, Stu

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do check for rust on the rear wheel arches. do check the 4 struts for any fluid leaks. that is the worst with them..great cars with complicated electrics,,very luxurious,,best with all of the toys like comfort seats etc.

There were so many option put the VIN number into this site and get a sales print out

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

garytitley

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes e 320 cdi avantgarde
My fathers Cl600 non turbo is available 24,000 miles only fmbsh b service just done including plugs.car is like new and wants for nothing reason for sale is he's bought a bentley gt nuff said.Don't know if your interested if so call me on 07914976068.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Do check for rust on the rear wheel arches

As for Malcolm. Rust has to be the big issue and the show stopper for MB of that era.

The CL is a robust car with a well proven engine and probably sensible fuel consumption for a car of that size and performance, so I think you are making a sound move towards a more reliable, or less temperamental car than the Maserati.

Prices are very competitive at present as larger cars do not sell so well when money is tight, fuel is expensive and the government is nurturing any "environmental" factor that could yield extra revenue.

Worth searching for a car built after 04-03 (Galvanized). Many are low mileage and cherished, so will be excellent buys.

P.S. it is possible that CLs were galvanized before 04-03 - I am sure others will comment if that is so, and that would give you a wider choice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As for Malcolm. Rust has to be the big issue and the show stopper for MB of that era.

The CL is a robust car with a well proven engine and probably sensible fuel consumption for a car of that size and performance, so I think you are making a sound move towards a more reliable, or less temperamental car than the Maserati.

Prices are very competitive at present as larger cars do not sell so well when money is tight, fuel is expensive and the government is nurturing any "environmental" factor that could yield extra revenue.

Worth searching for a car built after 04-03 (Galvanized). Many are low mileage and cherished, so will be excellent buys.

P.S. it is possible that CLs were galvanized before 04-03 - I am sure others will comment if that is so, and that would give you a wider choice.

There car does have a bad name for rust at the rear,,not better till the facelift version

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
Err you can't galvanise aluminium. The problem on early cars were manufacturing process defects that affected the door bottoms, wheel arches and c-pillars. All are rectifiable under warranty. Just make sure the car you buy has a FMBSH after the fifth year.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Err you can't galvanise aluminium. The problem on early cars were manufacturing process defects that affected the door bottoms, wheel arches and c-pillars. All are rectifiable under warranty. Just make sure the car you buy has a FMBSH after the fifth year.

Like my SL then all alli other than the rear wings that are steel,,you car looked well the last time that I saw it

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
Like my SL then all alli other than the rear wings that are steel,,you car looked well the last time that I saw it
Not sure about the SL but on the CL all panels other than the composite bonnet and bootlid are aluminium. (I just checked with a magnet to be sure.)

The c-pillar problem was a manufacturing defect, document as a service item in WIS, where a wooden bung shoved in during manufacture scraped the paint off when withdrawn, leaving exposed aluminium below the seal line. The doors bottoms suffered from inadequate insulation between the aluminium skins and the steel door frameand there was a similar problem with the wheel arched where an exposed gap let corroive silt in. All are the subject of service buletins and have been rectified, and protective measures taken, under Mobilo Life.

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
Not sure about the SL but on the CL all panels other than the composite bonnet and bootlid are aluminium. (I just checked with a magnet to be sure.)

I think the 2 front wings are plastic, I just had the 2 rear arches done.
Colin.

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215

I think the 2 front wings are plastic, I just had the 2 rear arches done.
Colin.

Heh, heh. The magnet test can't distinguish between composite and aluminium. I do know that the sills are composite. I had the front arches done at the same time as the rear so there's metal in there somewhere!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

The c-pillar problem was a manufacturing defect, document as a service item in WIS, where a wooden bung shoved in during manufacture scraped the paint off when withdrawn, leaving exposed aluminium below the seal line. The doors bottoms suffered from inadequate insulation between the aluminium skins and the steel door frameand there was a similar problem with the wheel arched where an exposed gap let corroive silt in. All are the subject of service buletins and have been rectified, and protective measures taken, under Mobilo Life.

Thank you for that info,,nice to know just in case I buy one

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005

Does this mean that (for example), if after 10 or so years, one of these noted problems develops, not having been fixed before,that MB would repair FOC? I know Mobilo becomes "iffy" after 8 or so years.
Colin.

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
My Mobilo Life states I have cover for "body perforation" for 30 years. It must come from under the paint, i.e. they won't repair corrosion caused by stone chips exposing the metal but otherwise yes.

The only other sticking point is where there have been other resprays, as evidenced by the thickness of the paint. Sadly this refers to repairs done by them unless you put up an argument. My door bottoms were redone under warranty and then, when I noticed some bubbling around the door mirror it was refused at first as "the door has been resprayed". Well duh, they did it! I had to go back to the bodyshop that did it to get the approval pushed through.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom