anti carjack self locking?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the other night, for reasons which i wont go into here (take me too long to type!) i pressed and held the lock/unlock button on the dash in the lock position for about 30 seconds. next day, the car locked itself every time i set off after stopping and someone getting in or out. today i held same button in the unlock position for about 30 seconds and it seems to have stopped locking itself again. is this normal and just an anti-carjacking type feature as fitted to later models?

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
auto locking

i believe it is a saftey device, mine locks after it reachs 5-10 mph.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not sure if its speed related on mine. it not got the steering wheel controls and the bigger screen assyst system its the earlier one. all i know is it never did it till i held the button down, and holding it the other way stopped it. i presumed it was safety, but since its something its not done before in the year ive had it, thought id ask to check it was normal!

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
auto locking

maybe malcolm is the one to ask, he`s into electronics I believe.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
im certain Malcolm will know! im just hoping he looks at this thread on his travels around the forums!

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Mine is speed related and I think it locks at about 10mph. I thought all new Mercedes did this. Didn't know you could switch it off though.

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
On my 203 this option is chosen via the steering buttons etc, but it would be useful if holding the button on the dash achieves the same. Will try it tomorrow.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i know its speed related on the newer models and can be switched off somewhere in the on dash menu via the switches on the steering wheel. ive seen it somewhere in dads 2001 w203! however my car is an older generation pre facelift 1999 w210! no steering wheel buttons and the only display is for the mileage/service indicator!

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
auto locking

Hi turbo pete, mine is a 2001 W210, no steering control either.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
i know its speed related on the newer models and can be switched off somewhere in the on dash menu via the switches on the steering wheel. ive seen it somewhere in dads 2001 w203! however my car is an older generation pre facelift 1999 w210! no steering wheel buttons and the only display is for the mileage/service indicator!

By default the doors should lock after you set off, I seem to recall seeing 5kph mentioned on Star.

I know this can be enabled and disabled via Star, it could be that by holding the switch in a position for X seconds creates an error and thats stored. The SAM do detect and record if a switch is held down for too long but have not noticed that it maintains the last read data unless reset.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
not sure if its speed related on mine. it not got the steering wheel controls and the bigger screen assyst system its the earlier one. all i know is it never did it till i held the button down, and holding it the other way stopped it. i presumed it was safety, but since its something its not done before in the year ive had it, thought id ask to check it was normal!

It is definetly speed related, my AMG reacts exactly the same as your E class, just pull away slowly and watch the speed when it locks it is the same speed everytime, i believe he control unit recieves a speed signal which how it knows when to lock.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
IT comes as standard but it can be turned off with star.

jib

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cheers guys. wasnt aware mine was that involved as far as star was concerned, due to its age and the programmes it will probably be running! as i said, i didnt know it did it and it seems it can be switched on and off using the button on the dash. unlike newer ones which can me done with the on screen menu in the speedo! at least i know i havent broken anything!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I only post on this forum these days, with 600 post since Sunday the days are too short.

Yes the speed signal is used to lock the car,,,very useful if we start getting car high jacking.

Those with SLK and SL's that fit the roof closing mod on the move get this locking function moved up to just over 30 MPH,,and that is one reason why I would not have one

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Se attached :)

Last edited:

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
From the SLK Handbook:

"Automatic central locking

The central locking switch also operates the automatic central locking.
With the automatic central locking system activated, the doors and trunk are locked at vehicle speeds of approximately 9mph or more. The fuel filler flap and the storage compartment in the centre armrest remain unlocked.

To activate:
With the key at ignition position 2 hold upper portion of switch for a minimum of 5 secs.

To de-activate:
With the key at ignition position 2 hold lower portion of switch for a minimum of 5 secs."

Maybe yours is the same?

My auto locking is now at 30mph as I have the roof module fitted.

HTH

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Forgive my ignorance and pertinence etc.
What good is locking the doors at 10 mph or kph anyway.
Are car jackers likely to be fit athletic types who catch up with you as you slow down for corners or slow moving traffic?
I always thought car jackers were the ones who jumped the car while stationary at lights or when getting in / out etc??

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Forgive my ignorance and pertinence etc.
What good is locking the doors at 10 mph or kph anyway.
Are car jackers likely to be fit athletic types who catch up with you as you slow down for corners or slow moving traffic?
I always thought car jackers were the ones who jumped the car while stationary at lights or when getting in / out etc??

It is just so one doesn't forget to lock the doors so when stopping at the lights / junction etc you are not vunerable to someone opening a passenger or rear door and snatching valuables from the car.

Car jackers would merely point a gun at you or smash the side windows. A Cape Town flame thrower is probably the best anti-jacking deterent :shock:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom