Galvanising Of Mercedes Cars

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
GALVANISING OF MERCEDES CARS

Some long while ago I posted info about the galvanising of MB cars which I got from an unimpeachable source high up in Mercedes UK. The subject comes up often so I thought it might be worth posting again as threads disappear so fast.

I set out the picture –model by model- below. Moderators may care to consider making this a sticky for a while as it is of general interest, not widely available, and because new threads are posted so often now that threads disappear from the front page in the twinkling of an eye.

C CLASS -203 series- saloon and estates: -

All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 2 2003 production onwards.
During the previous six months (Q4 2002 + Q1 2003) the process was
gradually introduced on the production line and therefore some vehicles
were galvanised during this lead-up period, but not all.

E CLASS -211 series- saloon and estates: -

All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 1, 2003, production onwards.
During the previous quarter (Q4, 2002) the process was gradually introduced
on the production line and therefore some vehicles were galvanised during
this lead-up period, but not all.

CLK CLASS – 209 series

All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 2 2003 production onwards.
During the previous six months (Q4 2002 + Q1 2003) the process was
gradually introduced on the production line and therefore some vehicles
were galvanised during this lead-up period, but not all.

SL CLASS –R230 series

This is not so easy to be specific because the change-over period
continued right through into Q3 2004. So although many SLs were galvanised in early 2004 it is not till the end of the third quarter of 2004 that one can say that all were galvanised.

S CLASS –220series and CL class 215 series.

The S class and CL class are built of a combination of aluminium and steel. For the
aluminium components there is, of course, no galvanising process.

All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 1 2003 production onwards.
During the previous quarter (Q4 2002) the process was gradually introduced
on the production line and therefore some vehicles were galvanised during
this lead-up period, but not all.

I hope members find this helpful.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will PM anyweb and ask him to make it sticky

Useful info thank you

lulu

Reaction score
Thanks Hawk,

Just a couple of questions from a purely selfish perspective, A-class and C-class coupe ?

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
A class: I would assume from 2003 as most models; certainly the new model is galvanised -see photo attached

C class coupe:- I have no info but again would assume done when other C class models were.

Attachments

• Galvanised A Class.jpg
    Galvanised A Class.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 340
OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
On another thread jberks has posted this interesting info on the 211 E class.

“Hi Hawk,
on the 211, the bonnet, front wings and boot lid are all aluminium. The bottom half of the boot lid is plastic (with some form of metal backing I assume) shell,doors, roof and rear wings (&wheelarches) will be steel.”
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=290652#post290652

newyorklaw

Reaction score
for my own information & self interest, what about the ML early 2006? And the SLK circa 2001?

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
for my own information & self interest, what about the ML early 2006? And the SLK circa 2001?

Sorry, I have no info, but 2003 production seems to be the key to most models.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it applies across them all after the shown date, and the SLK will not have it

Rinehart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 R129, 300SL Almandine Red, 102k
galvinization

Does this apply to MB's exported to the UK or to all MB's manufactured worldwide?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would have thought worldwide as I have never seen reference to car from one country being excluded

1958neil

Reaction score
Is there a "safe" year after which SLKs were galvanised? every one I have looked at (in the hope of buying) has had rusty wheel arches and boot lids bubbling around the handle area, some also had rust starting on the roof panel. All these cars were year 2000 and later, not what I was expecting from a "premium" brand like MB

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only after 04-03 when the galvanizing started MB started taking the rust seriously

1958neil

Reaction score
So I need to confine my SLK search to cars built after April 2003, that makes things clearer but more expensive( for a weekend summer car only) !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I need to confine my SLK search to cars built after April 2003, that makes things clearer but more expensive( for a weekend summer car only) !!

Yes it does, but at least it will last with little expense, prices are still falling

1958neil

Reaction score
prices are still falling

I wish someone would tell the optimists trying to sell cars at inflated prices, some are asking "Parkers Guide" dealers prices for private sales of cars that are nowhere near immaculate or have done high mileages, and some of the cars on e bay are just plain silly - nearly £7k for a 1998 car, is not unusual !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wish someone would tell the optimists trying to sell cars at inflated prices, some are asking "Parkers Guide" dealers prices for private sales of cars that are nowhere near immaculate or have done high mileages, and some of the cars on e bay are just plain silly - nearly £7k for a 1998 car, is not unusual !!

This is because the sun has been shining

shiny

Reaction score
Rust/Paint thickness on CDI 270

Hi,

I recently bought a 54 (05) CDI 270 Estate and found some rust on the rear wheel arches. Took it into my local MB dealership and they measured the paint thickness around the wheel arches and backpanels. They told me the paint thickness should be between 70 and 120 microns from the factory however they measured up to 200 microns. The doors and other areas were all about 100 microns. They said they wouldn't do the work under warranty as it had been painted by a non-approved outfit which was why it was going rusty! I asked them to search the warranty system on the car and no sign of any body work on the system was evident. I have a HPI cert and that is clear - no inssurance claims. I also phoned the previous owner and he said it had never been damaged or painted!

I read on one thread that sometimes if the paint fails a quality inspection at the factory they repaint which could explain why the paint may be thicker in certian areas. Also that such activities would be recorded in Quality Inspection documents by MB. The colour match is perfect and there are no obvious signs of re-painting or previous damage to the car.

Is there any way that I can find out if my car was re-painted at the factory to understand if what they tell me is true? I am obviously concerned the car has been repainted by a non-approved MB bodyshop and has a shady history.

Many thanks

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I have just noticed the smallest rust bubble on the front drivers wing of my 97 SLK, it,s the only bit I can see on the car,the odd thing is, its in the middle of the wing, not on the edge or arch, but it is 12 years old.

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
I remember seeing that on a Capri 280 around 1995 - thing was the whole front wing had this jagged hole above the wheel surrounded by rust anmd then the metallic green. The car was only about 8 years old at the time!!!

I only hope my Merc has none of this tinworm/bubbling for many years after I purchase it.

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
for my own information & self interest, what about the ML early 2006? And the SLK circa 2001?[/Q

Good information, thank you. I have a April 2003 SLK, probably made in late 2002, but rusting already! Just a few places, but the same as many on MB forums!! Under the boot lock above the number plate, to the offside of the o/s headlamp and a couple of blisters here and there. I complained to MB and told to take it for inspection at local MB. I haven't bothered as MB service record is only up to 2007 and they will wriggle out of any responsiblity for shoddy workmanship! I haven't seen rust like this on cars for twenty years!! Shame, because I love the motor. Owen.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom