Stolen Comand

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi All,

My E320CDI has been in the local dealers having a new turbo fitted due to power loss, I had a call last night to say it was ready however as the M62 was closed and we had friends coming round for dinner I said I would pick it up in the morning. I had a call today to say that there was a problem with my car and that during the night it was broken into and the Comand unit removed. An ML was also broken into and the Comand taken and a few other dealers were hit for Comand units all along the M62 last night. My car was parked in the compound along with all the rest of the dealers stock and was in full view of the CCTV camera.

Thankfully the Comand was the only part taken, my bluetooth cradle and 160G Ipod were not touched so they are obviously stealing to order.

Apart from the hassle of not having my car for a couple of weeks as the Comand unit is on back order, I've lost 2 years worth of locations stored in the Comand unit.

The dealer is being helpful and I'm now in an 09 Class Estate whilst mine is being repaired.

2uqfarb.jpg

9s5jlj.jpg

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Thankfully the Comand was the only part taken, my bluetooth cradle and 160G Ipod were not touched so they are obviously stealing to order.

I suppose if there is any consolation in this Russ, the guy who did it seems to have been proficient and did not trash the car.

Where would there be a market for equipment of this sort?

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I suppose if there is any consolation in this Russ, the guy who did it seems to have been proficient and did not trash the car.

I've seen them for sale on fleabay usually from Lithuania. If they post pictures you can usually see the removal marks on the side of the unit. Whether any of the units actually come from Lithuania I don't know but it would seem simple to have the "stock" here and an ebay account in Lithuania.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Bad luck Blobcat no damage to the inside,,did they know how it comes out do you think, as I send out some instructions to some new members that have not posted back

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I did worry about this when I got my car with COMAND, as I had a spate of radio/cassette's nicked from outside our last house many years ago. I made sure my insurance covers the COMAND unit in full (a lot are limited in value).

I know COMAND units have to be coded to the car, but is the unit itself not security coded in any way?

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Sorry to hear about this.

Out of interest, does the dealer's insurance cover this sort of thing or would you have to claim against your own policy?

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to hear about this.

Out of interest, does the dealer's insurance cover this sort of thing or would you have to claim against your own policy?
The dealer is covering it, they said they would also cover my ipod if that had gone as well.

I see it that they were entrusted with my cars safekeeping so whilst in their possession it is their responsibility.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bad luck Blobcat no damage to the inside,,did they know how it comes out do you think, as I send out some instructions to some new members that have not posted back
I think they were in the car for less than 5 minutes, on the picture you can see removal marks on the side trim so it didn't take them long to remove it and they didn't use the correct procedure, although they probably knew it.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The dealer is covering it, they said they would also cover my ipod if that had gone as well. I see it that they were entrusted with my cars safekeeping so whilst in their possession it is their responsibility.

Sadly, the property owner (the dealer in this case), is a sitting duck. If the felon had injured himself while entering the premises illegally (let's say he tore something vital off whilst climbing the barbed wire) the dealer would have been liable for that too!

Justice? No, but it is the law. Go figure.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
might be worth putting your bad news on the other forum, and letting the guys at comandonline know in case they get offered any on the cheap

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
might be worth putting your bad news on the other forum, and letting the guys at comandonline know in case they get offered any on the cheap
I don't have access to the other forum, however if anyone who has access to it and wishes to post a thread then pls do.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Alfie is a member here

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Trivial question, but knowing that you have to take out the ashtray etc to get at the release mech, how the hell did they get the thing out?

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Trivial question, but knowing that you have to take out the ashtray etc to get at the release mech, how the hell did they get the thing out?
The ashtray mechanism doesn't open easily when I tried it this morning although everything I left in there was still in place so I think they went in the sides rather than the proper method.
You can see some marks on the RHS trim in the second photo.

LSD

Reaction score
Bad luck Blobcat.

I wonder, is there no unique ident. transmitted for each individual Comand unit, like an IMEI number? That would enable it to show as stolen? (at least in this country).

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Nice to see a dealer owning up to their responsibilities ............. does'nt always happen, and then involves lengthy procedings ........... well done ... whoever your local dealer is !!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom