It's Goodbye From me.....

bazzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK 200 6-Speed
Well, sorry guys, and thanks for all of your help and advice over 18 months or so.

Goodbye?

Well, I had a 2002 W203 220CDi Estate. Bought from a main dealer, very low miles, was my 4th MB Estate (all the others were E class, W124).

I'm really sad to say that it was a dog. A pooch of the highest dog-ness.
It had a heated rear window, a window winder motor, various engine sensors, injectors, a coil spring, front suspension bushes, rear suspension trunnion, an alternator (nearly £1000 fitted!!! under warranty thank God!) both front discs (replaced when I bought it but warped after 10k miles) gearbox seal, and several other mechanical odds. PLUS, two front wings, two rear doors, and a complete tailgate because of rust!!

I have to say the dealer service was fabulous, they were all great people, couldn't have been more helpful, or embarrassed- and I am SO glad I took out the extra years warranty when i bought the car, something I've never, ever, done before. But the car was costing me (in fuel and time) and the dealer a huge amount of money. After the last trip to the dealer to have the doors and tailgate done, the dealer principal (very nice man), and I had a full and frank exchange of views on the car. Wasn't much of an exchange of views, as he agreed with my thoughts almost entirely. So he offered me a sensible price for the car, took my Parrot handsfree kit out and gave me a lift home.
And I had a couple of weeks looking for a new (to me) car.

Now my W124s were great, and I know they were -arguably - MB's best car, I did galactic miles in all of them, last one did 240,000 miles, two water pumps, two exhausts and several tyres. But this one, I have to think, is my last MB. I'm battered and bruised by the experience.

So cheers guys, thanks for everything

Bazzman

Last edited:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Well, sorry guys, and thanks for all of your help and advice over 18 months or so.

Goodbye?

Bazzman

A sad story Bazzman but can fully understand your decision trust (and hope) that you find a motor that meets your needs and expectations.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sad to see you go,,but life goes on,,and good luck with what ever you buy

LSD

Reaction score
Sounds like you were very unlucky and got a "Poets day" car. I knew of two brothers who bought identical cars save for the colour in the late 80s (Ford Sierra XR4x4). One was compeletely fault-free for over two years. The other barely went for a fortnight without trouble (serious trouble mainly), and was disposed of in under a year with not many miles on having spent most of its time off the road. It had some crazy faults, and they seemed to reoccur even after replacement of parts. There was a legal case against Ford I believe but I never heard how that ended.

The two cars were as if totally different brands, this in a vehicle that was mostly reliable as far as went major components. Sometimes it just happens that way... haunted cars.

I always wonder about the next poor owner when I hear of these cases, when the current owner gets shut!

Cars can break your heart worse than women. Better luck next time if you decide to risk another.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cars can break your heart worse than women. Better luck next time if you decide to risk another.

I think I have had the most wives and cars on the forum,,going away to think about it :D:D

psmart

Reaction score
Cars can break your heart worse than women.
No they can't, nothing hurts more than a relationship gone bad, you just haven't yet got there!!!

On bazzman's issue, like so many we see on this forum due to mechanical, paint etc, WHY do Mercedes waste countless Millions on pointless glossy advertising, when they could simply go upto people like Bazzman (or myself), get us to sign a non dislosure agreement, then say 'It cost us 10 grand to make the new version of your car, pay us 11 less the bottom book of your dog car' ! This would pay far more dividends in customer loyalty and income generation than a poorly clad girl on a car bonnet could ever! Word of mouth, very powerful!

OP
B

bazzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK 200 6-Speed
Cars can break your heart worse than women. Better luck next time if you decide to risk another.[/QUOTE]

You know, I never thought of it like that, and Television, I don't want to boast, (or split my record/CD collection AGAIN!!) but I've had 3 of one, and dozens of the other.

Bazzman

OP
B

bazzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK 200 6-Speed
And do you know what I've bought?

A Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi. It's a Golf in drag. With a big botty.

I looked at BMW, Audi, got nervous about high repair costs, never used to bother me when i had a 5-Series or an A6, but once bitten.....

Then looked at a Golf/Passat, but wanted a hatch or estate. Golf too small, Golf estate too, well, um, my Dad would drive it.... Passat, saloon, and estate a bit big. So thought "what about a Skoda?" Took a while to get my wife away from the Gin bottle - no change there then- but after she drove it, she loved it. And if the 3rd Mrs. Bazzman is happy, I'm happy.

It's well built and anonymous. Really. Honest. I'll shut up now.

Ian Nexus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 Estate C250TD
My wife has a Skoda Fabia, she is American an quite unlucky with cars (her Suzuki Vitara leaked water like a sieve and the door fell off) but it has been great, not a spot of rust (due to galvinized panels) where as my W202 is not without a bit of the red lightener.

Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Best of luck with the Octavia........... don't folks hang around when they are Merc less ??

Some do, I wonder what the Skoda forum is like

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
I was on it when I had one. Friendly bunch though lots of defending of the brand. Also he will find that the Fabia VRS is the fastest object known to man! ;)

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Also he will find that the Fabia VRS is the fastest object known to man! ;)

Rubbish. As eny fule kno, the fastest car is a courtesy car. :D

It is also the best handling. ;)

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Sorry toread the sad story with his car, but I'm not sure that he will have that much of a better experiance with the Octavia.
I have one as a company car, 98000 miles in under two years and yes its VW but a budget VW at that.
In all the company cars I have had and beleive me they get hammered in the places I go on Network Rails infrastructure, unmade roads are a luxury in relation the Octavia has had its suspension rebuilt when it hit something in a deep pond that it waded, and its not wearing very well interior wise. The stearing wheel is crumbling and the door has a big dent from resting my elbow on.
Not what I thought the Octavia was about, would I buy one, only if I was not going to put a lot of miles on it.

I must edit my signature as the statement about the Octavia was when I first got it, dont get me wrong its good for the price but thats all its a budget car and always will be.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I think I have had the most wives and cars on the forum,,going away to think about it :D:D

Malcolm I think bitchs friend ..ahem.. the guy who was selling the wheels may claim to have had more wives that you..none of them his of course.. :):)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I was on it when I had one. Friendly bunch though lots of defending of the brand. Also he will find that the Fabia VRS is the fastest object known to man! ;)

Yea the cops tailed me at 110 in one, now if they'd used the blue lights earlier I would have let them pass..

OP
B

bazzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK 200 6-Speed
I'll tell you the difference between the Skoda forum and this one?

Seriously, the humour is in a different league. Nice one guys, you've made me laugh so much in this thread that at the very least I'm going to lurk around here from time to time.

The Briskoda forum is great, really good helpful people on it - same as here - I think the important thing is to share experiences and in that way we all win.

Don't say anything rude about me or my Skoda. I might be lurking.

Barry

Rideaday

Reaction score
I dont drive a Mercedes, but see no reason why I cant join in, so why the need to go?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom