Cycle carrier to fit A Class

Heatherieb

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know what type of bike carrier I can get to fit my 2002 A Class. Most of the ones I've seen, say they don't fit my type of car because of the little spoiler.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hi

Does anyone know what type of bike carrier I can get to fit my 2002 A Class. Most of the ones I've seen, say they don't fit my type of car because of the little spoiler.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don't MB do one? They do for the current model.

davoC220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C220 diesel elegance
my bro had the earlier A class, the cycle mount he had was a Thull, roof mounted if memory's correct, unfortunately he wrote the car off 2 weeks before christmas and went french, much to my dissappointment

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
When you say the spoiler do you mean on the rear door?

I've tried all types of cycle carrier over the years (on various cars) and by far the best is the towbar mounted one. Need a towbar fitted of course.

The ones that hang on the back are unstable and if they obscure the number plate or lights plod will stop you.

The roof-rack ones are good but you run a higher risk of scratching the car and they are a pain to lift up and down.

Thule seem to have a good range of all types.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When you say the spoiler do you mean on the rear door?

I've tried all types of cycle carrier over the years (on various cars) and by far the best is the towbar mounted one. Need a towbar fitted of course.

The ones that hang on the back are unstable and if they obscure the number plate or lights plod will stop you.

The roof-rack ones are good but you run a higher risk of scratching the car and they are a pain to lift up and down.

Thule seem to have a good range of all types.

I agree Peter Thule make super products (Swedish)

http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/Thule_cycle_carriers.php

mastereng

Reaction score
I have the current model A Class and have a Thule roof system with bars and a Thule roof box. It works very well. However about 2 months ago there was a product recall for the Thule bolts which fit into the roof mounts on the car - apparently some have sheered so it could have been a serious failure. Hence I would suggest if you are buying a roof system (I know it is an earlier A Class) make sure there is no recall applicable and if it is then you get the replacement bolts.

Final comment, my A Class is quite a tall car because of the sandwich floor and I believe the original is very similar so hoisting a bike up on to the roof would be quite a stretch.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
And there is of course the proper Mercedes one, purpose built for the car. Looks good and works well according to friends of mine.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Cars with cycle carriers on the back, or on the roof, or both certainly seem to go faster.

Are there any guidelines or rules from the manufacturers or the legislators on maximum advisable speeds when loaded? (are they subject to the "Road Vehicles, Construction & Use Regs", for example)?

I fear that, when loaded and at high speed, they could make the vehicle unstable, or worse, bits might fall off, causing damage or harm (the Massa effect).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cars with cycle carriers on the back, or on the roof, or both certainly seem to go faster.

Are there any guidelines or rules from the manufacturers or the legislators on maximum advisable speeds when loaded? (are they subject to the "Road Vehicles, Construction & Use Regs", for example)?

I fear that, when loaded and at high speed, they could make the vehicle unstable, or worse, bits might fall off, causing damage or harm (the Massa effect).

Its hard to say if the bits dropping off the MB will hurt the bikes,,it depends though what drops off,,when the driver drops off the both are at risk.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

I've always preferred a folding bike in the boot. The Dahon and others fold up so small it is amazing engineering. Ride well too.

I keep thinking that a clever engineer will do a spring-loaded cantilevered system so you load the bike on the rack on the ground and then it swings up almost effortlessly to take its proper travelling position. Or maybe electric motors like a tailgate?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've always preferred a folding bike in the boot. The Dahon and others fold up so small it is amazing engineering. Ride well too.

I keep thinking that a clever engineer will do a spring-loaded cantilevered system so you load the bike on the rack on the ground and then it swings up almost effortlessly to take its proper travelling position. Or maybe electric motors like a tailgate?

Why not a plank to the roof of the car,,just ride the bike up to the top and vault off, over the front of the car :D:D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Perhaps that wood knot :D

Trust you to go against the grain, he beamed. I would branch out further, if I thought you might twig. The root of the problem is that cycle carriers tend to be used at higher speeds on trunk roads. I tried to discover why, but could not find a spokesperson?? :confused::rolleyes:;)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Trust you to go against the grain, he beamed. I would branch out further, if I thought you might twig. The root of the problem is that cycle carriers tend to be used at higher speeds on trunk roads. I tried to discover why, but could not find a spokesperson?? :confused::rolleyes:;)

Perhaps they'd lost their bark

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Jusr before we leave this case, would the OP confirm that we have got to the root of his problem?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does not all of this go against the grain,,or is it the weather making the post swell.

Top Bottom