Newbie looking to buy ML270

Wizza

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie Wizza here.
I'm looking to buy an 02 ML 270 cdi for general use and to pull horse trailer (2 ponies). So it will be used to get in and out of muddy fields (some with steep gradients)The. Ml270 generally gets good write ups. We have considered a Discovery, but the Ml270 is winning us over.
I would be grateful if any of you could advise on any experience that you've had with this particular model:
what sort of price we could expect to pay (i.e 02 CDi, 90k, family pack..) ? What's the up keep like for mercs?
I do have a trusted mechanic understand that things like fule injecors and brake pads will need to be looked at and changed.....

My wife and I are hoping the running costs won't be too prohibitive, it would be great replace our P reg Maverick!

Thanks in advance

Wizza

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
Hi Wizza,
This is just what my customer tell's me about his 05 ml270 auto. He has had it from new and has never had a prob with it, pulls a big trailer occasionally. It was doing 30mpg av and now does 35mpg after we remapped it for him. not much info but hoped it helped a little...:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry for the poor response all of our ML owners seem to be on holiday

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
HI,

Go for it, its a fantastic car.
we also have horses, and my ML pulls the horse trailer no problem at all.
Mine is fitted with Kumho road tyres so can get a bit slippy on steap wet grass with the trailer on, but you could always look at the tyres for this.
I have not had any problems with her over the 3 years we have had it, apart from a ECU problem with the gearbox, I have mine looked after by a very good indi.

If it was me I would go get one, superb car much better than the Range Rover I have or even the two Freelanders.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
HI,

Go for it, its a fantastic car.
we also have horses, and my ML pulls the horse trailer no problem at all.
Mine is fitted with Kumho road tyres so can get a bit slippy on steap wet grass with the trailer on, but you could always look at the tyres for this.
I have not had any problems with her over the 3 years we have had it, apart from a ECU problem with the gearbox, I have mine looked after by a very good indi.

If it was me I would go get one, superb car much better than the Range Rover I have or even the two Freelanders.

Best advice yet!!

The ML is not everyones cup of tea, but for a strong work horse which will do what is says "on the label" it a great tool!!!

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
Ml 270

Hi there Wizza.
As the other guys say GO FOR IT.
I have had Landies, Rangies etc etc and I also have a Jag Twin Turbo Diesel S type and I have to remember to sometimes take it out as I run the hell out of the Merc ML 270 and love it.
I had it re-mapped and I average 31 mpg plus.
It pulls like hell, drives great ,, goes like sh1t.
It is comfy, quiet, warm, easay to drive and great on the road.
This is why I drive it instead of the Jag.
I seem to only use the Jag for holidays and when I remember.
Get yourself an ML 270 with the triptronic gearbox and you will never regret it, mine is 2002 and now has 99850 miles on it and it is good for an other 100,000.

Regards.

Mike

psmart

Reaction score
I had my ML270 for 8.5 years, great car, bought just towards the end of the cycle when they changed many parts to create the face-lift version.

Problems Ive had:-
o Passenger window motor failure. Changed motor, glass and switch panel in console.
o Poorly mounted exhaust manifold (bad manufacture) causing twisting of the manifold, turbo, brackets, exhaust - Im a bit of a perfectionist, so I replaced the whole lot to prevent future problems.
o Rear suspension Hydroponic units failed twice.
o Front bushes and ball joints. (I think also rear ball joints, but cant be sure).
o Passenger side child seat sensor disabling SRS system.
o New front and middle catalyst (front one changed as part of the turbo - just in case). Back box still original.
o 2 Gearboxes - The older models used oil to water heat exchanger coolers.
o Transfer case (I changed this as a precaution, I read up lots of issues with earlier models, so when I got the opportunity, I changed it to be safe).
o Brake pipes corroded.
o Fuel pipes brittle (the car lived in sub-zero temperatures and batted down autobahns, ie. low temperatures to high, so dont think this would be normal to change).
o Driver door, sills, wheel arch replaced, bonnet resprayed due to rust. Rear door handle still has rust.
o Alloys - old ones badly corroded.
o Horns - twice. Located in an exposed area so get rusty quickly.
o Several brake pads and disks, but not many sets of tyres (2 or 3 sets).

I think thats the lot, over 8.5 years and 96K miles.

Very good car, so hopefully getting a facelifted (2002 onwards version) you wont get many issues. And there good for economy if not pushed too. My ML started out in life towing at 1700Kg caravan, which it did with ease, many report it to be a good towing vehicle.

One thing though, it can go through brake pads and disks quickly, especially on rear axle, more so towing, as it uses the back brakes to stabilise the vehicle, depends how hard you drive it.

OP
W

Wizza

Reaction score
Thanks everone, all very helpful. We are still looking to fund the purchase, it's done 90k, tipronic, family pack... and £7,800. It will need off road tyres , what do you suggest for muddy paddocks some with steep gradients and what sort of price (Maidstone area or thereabouts).

There is a rear quarter light that looks like "lacquer" is peeling, how much is it get that sorted in your experiences and is it common?

Thanks again for all you help.

Wizza

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
I live in south wales - in these parts the price for late 02 ML270's seems to be about 7.5k to 8.5k. Depending on condition and if it's private or proper trade.

I've just paid 9.5k for a November 2003 (53 plate) with 71k miles on the clock and full mb service history - this doesn't have the family pack. According to the glasses guide the family pack is worth an extra 1k (basically the glasses guide lists the car with the family pack and you'd deduct 1k if it was missing)

If it's the extra seats you're looking for - There are a lot of cars which have had the 3rd row of seats added later (I just did it) but the original factory ones have rear side windows that open (electric motors) and proper 'easy entry' so the smaller one of the 2nd row of seats flips forward giving better access to 3rd row passengers. Basically if the windows don't open then it's an aftermarket upgrade so might has some bits missing such as hand grips above the windows, brackets for the stowage straps, trim around the fixing brackets etc or, at worst, bodged seat belts.

I've got a bit of a gremlin in my gearbox but apart from that I'm very VERY pleased with it.

Last edited:

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270

Thanks everone, all very helpful. We are still looking to fund the purchase, it's done 90k, tipronic, family pack... and £7,800. It will need off road tyres , what do you suggest for muddy paddocks some with steep gradients and what sort of price (Maidstone area or thereabouts).

There is a rear quarter light that looks like "lacquer" is peeling, how much is it get that sorted in your experiences and is it common?

Thanks again for all you help.

Wizza

My one is the same and I just used my nail and took off the loose bits and it is not so noticable now.
I was quoted £30 to re spray the NS rear quarter light as it is the only one needing doing.

I use Good year road tyres and let the computer sort out the wheel drive / spin and I have clinbed some quite steep wet grassy banks and slopes never been a problem and I have never thought of offroad / mud tyres as the noise is much greater and the fuel consumption suffers UNLESS you are going to spend more time in the mud and off road I would not even dream of fitting off road tyres to it.
Try the tyres that are fitted and I am sure you will see what I mean.

Regards.

Mike

OP
W

Wizza

Reaction score
Thanks Axcontrols and Muller1.

Muller1 were you towing off road with the road tyres?

I will be towing a horsebox with two ponys. I will probably try the road tyres and find out what they can do.

Wizza

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS 200 CDI AND e 320 cdi sln 2006 facelift
HI IF IT HELPS JUST BROUGHT A 270 FROM A DEALER ON THE BAY 2004 28000 MILES THEY ARE A GREAT MOTOR ,MINE IS RUNNING AT 31MPG HAD IT FOR 3 MONTHS NOW ,I HAVE FOUND THAT ITS A HIGH RIDE ,COMPARED TO A LAND ROVER ,ON RELFECTION I THINK I SHOULD HAVE TRIED A RIDE IN A NISSAN X TRAIL BEFORE I GOT MY ML THEY ARE A HEAVY VEHICLE ,IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ONE OF THIS AGE I MIGHT PART WITH MINE BUT WOULD BE LOOKING FOR £13250 ITS GOT 31000 MILES ON IT NOW ,IF INTRESTED YOU CAN CONTACT ME ON colin1417@yahoo.co.uk

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tyres

Thanks Axcontrols and Muller1.

Muller1 were you towing off road with the road tyres?

I will be towing a horsebox with two ponys. I will probably try the road tyres and find out what they can do.

Wizza

It all depends what you mean by off road.
I know I am perhaps being flippant but some off road conditions would need a tracked vehicle to traverse it with a trailer.
My daughter used to ride and I took her horse to many events and many people managed to get there with a truck based horse transporter, normal tyres and no 4 wheel drive.
I know having a 4x4 makes it easier but an ML with computer controlled drive sharing and average tyres will be at least 3 or 4 times better than a truck.
The tyres are not a cure all or a majic bullet as some need to be spinning so as to clear the cleats of crap and allow it to get a grip, there is a special technique to driving a 4x4 correctly .
If you get stuck with a 4x4 vehicle it becomes more difficult to get out of the problem you may now find yourself in.
"Aggressive" tyres will give good grip on hard standing, rough paths, rocks etc but can sometimes be bad on mud or wet grass as the treads fill in and give you a "slick" tyre and then you need to spin them quickly to fling out the mud/grass cloging the tread.
It is all about technique and not so much about how rough the tread is.
Bumper/tractor type treads are available to suit most wheel rims and are brilliant at true off road usage but are worse than useless on the public road.
Some of my friends use them for off road trecks and change the wheels when they get to the site and change back to road tyres when going home.
|I would advise asking some of the off road and 4 wheel drive clubs in your area as to the tyres they would advise as I would not believe the tyre makers adverts as "NO ONE SELLS ROTTEN FISH" if you get my meaning.
I am sure thet with a little experience you will be surprised how well you can get on with good road tyres and looking well ahead in your approach to difficult terrein.

Regards.

Mike

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I am sure thet with a little experience you will be surprised how well you can get on with good road tyres and looking well ahead in your approach to difficult terrein.

Regards.

Mike

I am sure you are absolutely correct Mike. I grew up (opinions vary on this) in the NE of Scotland where 3 feet of snow was not unusual. In 2 wheel drive cars (once the snow plough had been along) I never got stuck and never used anything other than summer tyres.

When I was in the army, as an enthusiastic cross country motorist, I never found a situation where a vehicle which was "stuck" could not be driven out under its own steam, as long as it had 4 wheels in contact with the ground. It used to p*ss the driver of the vehicle off no end - and some tried to engineer situations to prove me wrong, but patience, correct choice of gear, and the vehicle would always emerge unaided.

In the USA, on the other hand, where SUVs abound, the moment they get a bit of snow and ice the traffic reports fill up quickly with reports of "spin off accidents" (single vehicle mishaps with the car spinning off the road in spite of 4x4) - which they seem to regard as inevitable!

So your point is well made.

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi got the whole shooting match regarding this thread ML 270, full blown off read class 9 special, Mercedes 814 truck, car transporter trailer, been trialing comping for the last 10 years,
I've never had a problem with the ML, trial's motor + trailer + bit's & bob’s is nigh on 3 tons, like said earlier use the tyres that come with the motor, if you have a problem there is an easy accessible hook on the front of the ML so you can get a rope fixed up. Swapping tyres is a pain

Kevin

Attachments

• New-1.jpg
    New-1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Wizza... have mine !!
2004 , 66,000, all the toys except sunroof. Never been used to tow . £10.300
Why would I want to sell ?
Well , I want to return to the ride and comfort of an E Class estate. I thought Mercs 4X4 would be exactly the same but it's not.

OP
W

Wizza

Reaction score
WOOHOO! Picked it up on Friday. What a car. Mrs Wizza used it today to tow horsebox and two ponies. She says it was a dream. No problems in and out of wet and muddy field.. She got it dirty! It must have stood out amongst the parade of Disco's, shiny black bling mobile. I can't wait to play with it. Proud owner of 02 ML270.

Wizza

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom