300TD auto gearbox query .

chastrain

Reaction score
Hi... and good to be here :)

have just recently purchased a 1988 Mercedes 300TD (lhd turbo) estate, she's in lovely condition (homed in southern france), oils/fluids are good, plenty of Merc history, bills etc, beautifully smooth ride, sounds fantastic with a little over 230,000 miles on the clock.

just one niggle that am not sure is a something or a nothing, just that auto gearchange seems to be a little more jerky than i have experienced on other cars, there's a definite clunk and tug as it moves up, more so when i put the pedal to the floor (busy roundabouts etc) but still obvious on slow acceleration, have checked the oil level (as the book says) when up to temp and engine is running, and the level is fine.

Perhaps am being overly picky for a car of this age (though plenty left in her) just that if it is something likely to become worse (cause damage ?) would like to get it sorted.

Many thanks for your help .

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
So as not to pay loads of money out check vacuum pipes could be perished, doughnut, propshaft, rear suspension by somebody putting the car into drive then reverse and looking for any excessive movement , change ATF and filter not for getting to drain torque converter. Hope this helps

OP
chastrain

chastrain

Reaction score
So as not to pay loads of money out check vacuum pipes could be perished, doughnut, propshaft, rear suspension by somebody putting the car into drive then reverse and looking for any excessive movement , change ATF and filter not for getting to drain torque converter. Hope this helps

Many thanks brian, would guess to write off a fewfrom your list, doughnut/propshaft not included, so i take it the clunk/tug is a definite problem ?.... better to sort asap.

number cruncher : I agree with Brian - definitely check the vacuum level at the modulator before spending any serious money.

thanks for the link bud :)

OP
chastrain

chastrain

Reaction score
just an update that i hope could be of help to others.

All above was checked some time ago now..and found to be ok though a gearbox top-up did help a little i still had an irritating clunk/jerk.
So recently (last sat) being early dark evenings i was driving up the mountain (no street lights) and thought my headlight's were set a little high so moved to lower but nothing happened, next day went to check, i'd seen before then that the drivers side (Lhd) vac pipe to headlight connection was ok as it was an easy see but had failed to check the passenger side (how thourough) now having the present problem the inspection was needed, it's a difficult look at a glance it being behind the air filter housing, and sure enough was found to be disconnected, a few seconds later it was on, i checked the light's with the car still, and up and down they went , good.

So i drive out yesterday, and the box changes gear for me, but i don't notice, then after a few km's it's starts to sink in, nothing, no clunks/knocks/jerks, it just couldn't be any smoother, incredible then that one headlight air pipe being disconnected could prove to have such a noticable effect on performance. I am Very Happy :)

Many thanks.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom