R129 SL Panoramic hard top on older cars ?

HPW

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know whether it is possible to fit the Panoramic hard top to R129 SL's that were produced either before that roof options was available, or likewise to later cars that left the factory with only the standard hard top ?

in other words... is there something specific to the fittings on the car itself that means the Panoramic can only connect to an R129 that is specifically designed to take it ?

Grateful for any thoughts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Without any doubt you can put this roof on any car in the 129 range .

If you buy one,,let me know and I will send you the setting up instructions

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
As for Malcolm, they will fit any 129. You had better renew your gym membership, or buy a hoist though - they are really nice, but jolly heavy.

OP
H

HPW

Reaction score
Thanks both.
I'm sniffing around for my first SL, keen to get the Panoramic roof as I think it gives the car a very different look to the standard. That said, I have been warned they are ultra heavy, as you also point out.

Have you ever come across a free-standing hoist - i.e one that does not need to be fitted to the roof of the garage ? My garage has a flimsy ceiling (and is rented), so the usual systems I have seen would not work.

Also... I have test driven a few SL320's now, and am faced with the dilemma that I have seen come up a few times in these forums; what price ? They have all been 1997-99 with Panoramic, varying mileages between 60k-90k, and advertised between £9,500-10,000 (private sales and garages). I have not got to the point of negotiating yet, but do you think I am being overly optimistic if I try and stick to, say, £8,000-8,500 as a realistic price for a good one in the current market ? I don't have to buy it this summer, so maybe I should let sunshine (joke) mentality wear off the convertible market and try again in October...

Thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It does depend on the engine size,,prices will be cheaper in the next few months, the main face lift was 08-98 when most things that were options were thrown in. there is often a difference in the asking price to the price that they can be bought for

Re the hoist, I have never seen a floor mounted version,but they may exist

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you ever come across a free-standing hoist - i.e one that does not need to be fitted to the roof of the garage ? My garage has a flimsy ceiling (and is rented), so the usual systems I have seen would not work.

Free standing hoists do exist for other purposes - so you could probably source one. Suggest you look for something rated to 500 lbs. You would probably find that the legs would roll under the car, hoist the hardtop and roll it back out, then lower onto the stand. I think similar devices are used for lifting out engines?

Although they are heavy, 2 fit men can lift them and walk it back over the rear of the car to place it on the stand. Given that most people would do that in spring to remove and autumn to replace, it may be easier and cheaper just to co-opt a friend, relation or neighbour. A hoist is going to cost something and require storage too, after all.

Secondly, I think your ideas on price are sensible and I think you should proceed on that basis. The worst the vendor can say is no sale. The worst you can do is walk away.

Good luck in your search, keep us posted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Free standing hoists do exist for other purposes - so you could probably source one. Suggest you look for something rated to 500 lbs. You would probably find that the legs would roll under the car, hoist the hardtop and roll it back out, then lower onto the stand. I think similar devices are used for lifting out engines?

Although they are heavy, 2 fit men can lift them and walk it back over the rear of the car to place it on the stand. Given that most people would do that in spring to remove and autumn to replace, it may be easier and cheaper just to co-opt a friend, relation or neighbour. A hoist is going to cost something and require storage too, after all.

Secondly, I think your ideas on price are sensible and I think you should proceed on that basis. The worst the vendor can say is no sale. The worst you can do is walk away.

Good luck in your search, keep us posted.

I agree completely with all that you say here Alex:D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lateral (vertical?) thinking.

Hi HPW. You say that your garage roof is too flimsy to sustain a hoist. I attach below a photo to illustrate the hoist I fitted in a garage in which the beams run at right angles to the way I wanted them to run.

Ideally, the hoist would be on the side wall at right angles to the car. As the obvious weight bearing beams in mine ran across the garage, I mounted the hoist on the rear wall, with a pulley above to route the cable, and the principal pulley above the car, allowing a vertical lift. The car is then moved out and the stand brought in to place for storage.

There is lots of cable on these winches. You could mount it on the rear wall, pulley at ceiling level above it, run the cable the length of the ceiling, and a pulley centrally on the lintel (which hopefully would take the weight?).

When not in use the hook could be folded back onto itself, or stowed on a cup hook placed anywhere convenient. That should be OK if you have hinged doors, but might require more ingenuity if you have an "up and over door".

Over to you.

SL Hoist.jpg

SL Accessories.jpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see that your garage roof is done asbestos you can:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SSShhhhhh ............... :Oops:

It's all intact, honestly, and generally saturated given the rain we have around here.

It is harmless while not moving or cutting it

finleyfishface

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm,

I asked this question re panoramic roofs before, and I thought it was generally agreed that there may be an issue, as the earlier cars didnt have the mechanism that slightly drops the windows as you open door, such that you may end up shattering the door glass if you slam it shut onto a panoramic ????:confused::confused:

finleyfishface

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm,

I asked this question re panoramic roofs before, and I thought it was generally agreed that there may be an issue, as the earlier cars didnt have the mechanism that slightly drops the windows as you open door, such that you may end up shattering the door glass if you slam it shut onto a panoramic ????

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,

I asked this question re panoramic roofs before, and I thought it was generally agreed that there may be an issue, as the earlier cars didnt have the mechanism that slightly drops the windows as you open door, such that you may end up shattering the door glass if you slam it shut onto a panoramic ????:confused::confused:

Interesting,,but it not the same thing going to happen on any hard top, the sides are the same, along with the rubbers

finleyfishface

Reaction score
good point .... i would gladly buy a panoramic, if I was 100% sure it would be ok. The obvious thing to do, would be to try fitting my friends to my car, he has 1997 320SL,
been curious about this for some time now !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
good point .... i would gladly buy a panoramic, if I was 100% sure it would be ok. The obvious thing to do, would be to try fitting my friends to my car, he has 1997 320SL,
been curious about this for some time now !!

Well I have never seen that it will not fit,,there are no changes throughout the production to the 129 with regards to the roof fitting points

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do add that I can send out the info for setting the roofs up, and how to adjust the pano roof to the car in question

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom