going abroad

pipes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 500 sl 107
Hi everyone
I am taking my 1985 500sl to the Dordogne in a few weeks on holiday.
Everything seems fine at the moment, just changed oil and filters, just passed mot with no caveats. Are there any bits that you think i should take with me, and anything else to specifically check before going. obviously i will examine it carefully first anyway.
Also the great premium fuel debate has obviously been running for years here, but i could not find any thoughts pertaining to my vintage of sl.
Last question any recomended sl 107 mechanics near me, I live in Stansted Mountfitchet near Bishop's Stortford
Thanks all in advance
Simojn

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Have a look at http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf for equipment you should have with you. Make sure you have European Breakdown Cover, get in and drive. :)
I despair of people wanting to rebuild their car just because they're about to cross the Channel. As long as your car is well maintained and you have no current issues you'll be fine. I regularly drive my 124 through Europe, in fact I did so yesterday. :)

As for the premium fuel, I can't see there being any advantage of using it in your particular car. Modern cars with clever ECU's that constantly monitor all sorts of parameters perhaps but not in something of 1985 vintage. Even if it's a Merc. :)

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Take a set of fan belts.

Check the radiator hoses, and that the anti-freeze is fresh and of correct strength (as it helps keep cool also).

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
spare set of fan belts

absolute necessity. Buy the MB ones if you must, but do have them on you. Saves hours or days if you throw one. Bulbs, natch, and a goodly selection of torpedo fuses.
Super unleaded only, no Ethanol mixes. Premium unleaded as last resort. Test lamp and fair selection of spanners and screwdrivers, (MB toolkit plus a few more should do.)
Enjoy the trip. We used to holiday down near Lalinde years ago, gorgeous place.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Have a look at http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf for equipment you should have with you. Make sure you have European Breakdown Cover, get in and drive. :)
I despair of people wanting to rebuild their car just because they're about to cross the Channel. As long as your car is well maintained and you have no current issues you'll be fine. I regularly drive my 124 through Europe, in fact I did so yesterday. :)

As for the premium fuel, I can't see there being any advantage of using it in your particular car. Modern cars with clever ECU's that constantly monitor all sorts of parameters perhaps but not in something of 1985 vintage. Even if it's a Merc. :)

I'm on the low anxiety team, along with roadhog. The AA link he gave you will list the essentials (the reflective tabards should be inside the car, and I find that the SL door pockets are a good place for them). I tend to carry jump leads (always to help others, never needed them myself, but I have used them several times to good effect), along with WD40 and an oily rag. Bulbs are required. If your belts and hoses are in good condition, I would not bother. Otherwise, as the man said, just get in and drive and enjoy yourself.

I used to have "cherished car insurance" (agreed value - Lancaster) and that provided breakdown cover, collision cover and repatriation for people and car in either event. Check your insurance policy, you may already be covered. I discontinued that because it was expensive (but good) and now take AA 5 star cover for the trip (they add an excess for cars our age), but have never needed to use it.

We look forward to hearing of your experience - how economical is a 107 500 on continental touring - and hopefully some pictures of you in the foreign.

Have a great holiday.

OP
P

pipes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 500 sl 107
Thanks chaps
sound advice. I am not overly precious, cars are meant to be used, just wanted some sensible tips as i have not gone abroad for any distance before.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
3,000 miles to Austria and all points inbetween

and back in 2005. All she needed was a litre of oil. I blame the mem for doing 110mph on the autobahn between Trier and Mannheim for that.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can always tow a trailer with a spare engine, and maybe a diff etc

BoyBlue

Reaction score
Just be careful when driving off from a service station or other stop, make sure you drive to the right. Most Brit accidents occure at these times. Just have fun and leave the worries at home.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just be careful when driving off from a service station or other stop, make sure you drive to the right. Most Brit accidents occure at these times. Just have fun and leave the worries at home.

Very good advice,,even more so when there is no other traffic around,,or if you have had an argument

OP
P

pipes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 500 sl 107
Thanks for all the help and advice. I cant get over how friendly and helpful you all are.Not sure the wife would appreciate the convoy offer, supposed to be a romantic trip!! Will let you know how it goes and will post pictures if i ever work out how to!!

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Lowering the tone -Take toilet paper - do not rely on it at service stations.

Stop completely at all stop signs even if there is nothing in front as Gendarmes like to give on the spot fines for this and position themselves where they know stopping seems almost totally pointless.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom