Climate Control and Aircon

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Just wondered whether the majority of MB drivers keep their Climate Control
1.on the 'Auto' setting (overriding all other controls) or
2. whether on A/C (with personal adjustment for air distribution, fan speed etc.)?
3. Also do you keep the 'Recirc' engaged for better performance of cooling?
4. Does the A/C have to be engaged (with red light on) when 'Auto' setting is used or does the 'Auto' setting literally override everything including the necessity to ensure the A/C light is lit?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Mine is on Auto 99% of the time, only on exceptional warm days do I use manual. I never turn the air con off.

Recirculating the air will cool the car quicker when you first start it up but can cause all the windows to steam up if left on, I do not use it much.

On mine, auto & air con are both lit when on.

Russ

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Just wondered whether the majority of MB drivers keep their Climate Control
1.on the 'Auto' setting (overriding all other controls) or
2. whether on A/C (with personal adjustment for air distribution, fan speed etc.)?
3. Also do you keep the 'Recirc' engaged for better performance of cooling?
4. Does the A/C have to be engaged (with red light on) when 'Auto' setting is used or does the 'Auto' setting literally override everything including the necessity to ensure the A/C light is lit?

You may find some information on the Forum on this topic using "Search".

I leave climate control on and automatic at all times. The cooling only activates as appropriate and the climate control ticks along in the background in quite a subtle fashion. With more powerful engines, I don't believe there is any appreciable fuel cost to doing this and the air conditioning is being exercised periodically, which is good for it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Keeping the AC on at all times, keeps the windows clear in winter and the keeps the system in good working order.

If you are worried about any fuel used,,that is minimal as it is only using energy when cooling,,and even that cycles off and on

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Keeping the AC on at all times, keeps the windows clear in winter and the keeps the system in good working order.

If you are worried about any fuel used,,that is minimal as it is only using energy when cooling,,and even that cycles off and on

Snap! ;););)

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK lads, don't fight over the speed of response!!

I assume that the A/C light must therefore be on if any cooling is to take place, even if the 'Auto' button is activated?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes on the 204 the light has to be on,,on earlier car the light had too be off,,If you are in traffic and you do not want fumes in the car then the re cycled is fine,,other than that I use the fresh air..

It is going to be fun here soon when some say that the light must be off and others on

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes on the 204 the light has to be on,,on earlier car the light had too be off,,If you are in traffic and you do not want fumes in the car then the re cycled is fine,,other than that I use the fresh air..

It is going to be fun here soon when some say that the light must be off and others on

Thanks Malcolm et al - I thought this was the case but nice to be reassured. As you say it now just wants someone to say that the Auto light means it is irrelevant if the A/C light is on or off!!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I like to have the window down and the fresh air wafting into my face. Feels nice. Wish I had a drop top....

In the wet days I tend to run it on auto with the a/c on (99.99% of the time up here then) and there is a slight dip in mpg (about 3-4mpg) as I run it at 18c so the cooling is working a lot.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No he never, as Mr Clarkson would say.............LOSER! :lol:

Russ

Snap was not a comment on speed of response (although I guess from the chronology that I was still doing mine when you posted yours), but was a reflection on the fact Malcolm and I said the same thing but in slightly different words.

You were clearly first to comment. :neutral:

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tried just using the 'Auto' button yesterday WITHOUT the A/C light being on. I found that there WAS cooling. Thus the 'Auto' setting does switch the cooling compressor on. Is it just that without the A/C light on there is no dehumidification, although I would have thought with cooling comes the dehumidifying anyway??

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tried just using the 'Auto' button yesterday WITHOUT the A/C light being on. I found that there WAS cooling. Thus the 'Auto' setting does switch the cooling compressor on. Is it just that without the A/C light on there is no dehumidification, although I would have thought with cooling comes the dehumidifying anyway??

I think "auto" is does just what the name suggests - varying the volume, direction, temperature and humidity of the air streams as required to provide the correct cabin conditions in line with the temperature you have set.

It will give you a very vigorous flow when you get into a car which has been sitting out in the sunshine on a hot day, backing off once the target is achieved.

For much of the time I find the flow to be so subtle as to make you wonder if it is working. If that is a concern, turn the cabin temperature gauge down to minimum and you will get a strong blow of cold air promptly, which will reassure you it is working (sometimes you get the car back after servicing on that setting, so it may also be a check the mechanics use?).

Other than that, I just leave mine on auto, set at 18-20 depending on the degree of sunshine outside, and it ticks along working for me without any effort on my part.

When the above does not happen, it might be time for re-gassing.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think "auto" is does just what the name suggests - varying the volume, direction, temperature and humidity of the air streams as required to provide the correct cabin conditions in line with the temperature you have set.

It will give you a very vigorous flow when you get into a car which has been sitting out in the sunshine on a hot day, backing off once the target is achieved.

For much of the time I find the flow to be so subtle as to make you wonder if it is working. If that is a concern, turn the cabin temperature gauge down to minimum and you will get a strong blow of cold air promptly, which will reassure you it is working (sometimes you get the car back after servicing on that setting, so it may also be a check the mechanics use?).

Other than that, I just leave mine on auto, set at 18-20 depending on the degree of sunshine outside, and it ticks along working for me without any effort on my part.

When the above does not happen, it might be time for re-gassing.
What I really like about the Mercedes ventilation system is that if you leave it in Auto and have all the vents sent to their mid-points (there is a notch so you know you're in the right place) then you never get a frozen head or hot or cold air blown at you, the whole cabin is cooled or heated perfectly and no adjustment is required. Now that to me is perfect.

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex & Blobcat - Understood! This explains why it does not matter if the A/C light is on or off when I set the 'Auto' button to ON. All functions are taken care of. Cheers chaps.

Is there an appreciable fuel consumption penalty with these MB engines with cooling on?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Is there an appreciable fuel consumption penalty with these MB engines with cooling on?
Not in my experience, you would use more fuel having the window open.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex & Blobcat - Understood! This explains why it does not matter if the A/C light is on or off when I set the 'Auto' button to ON. All functions are taken care of. Cheers chaps.

I have tried with and without over big distances. No discernible fuel penalty. I think the important factor is that CC only functions when it is called upon by the system, and so uses less than AC which is either on or off.

With larger engines, neither represents a significant load and does not make a measurable difference to fuel economy.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom