Brabus Sport Illuminated shift lever

meb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cls 320
Anyone had any experience installing one of these? Car is a CLS 320 '05

It is a Brabus shift lever with an LED on the top that lights up :cool:

It has 2 bare, tinned wires (red and black) coming from it which I assume are to be spliced into the illumination circuit. Problem is no-one around here (Bath Bristol area) has seen one before and I am being quoted 4 hours by MB Bath and an independent which I think is way OTT...

Anyone had one fitted before and anyone know where I can go to get this done?

Thanks

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
You've already figured out how it works, why not give it a go yourself? :)

OP
M

meb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cls 320
You've already figured out how it works, why not give it a go yourself? :)

I don't know how to remove the shift lever, don't know where to find the illumination circuit and everything I take apart I break! I don't fancy doing this to my new car...

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
OK, in that case leave well alone. :)

If you've been quoted 4 hours from two separate places I'd guess it's not too far out. I'm sure that when Malcolm wakes up from his afternoon nap he'll be along and tell you exactly what's involved. :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK I have woken up:D:D this is no easy matter,,the center condole trim must be removed,,the other snag is the gear selector module is not really made to be dismantled

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Is this just a gear knob or the whole gear stick shaft?
Illumination feed can be gotten from the nearest illuminated switch, which in most MB's is just a few inches from the gear shift.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Posts crossed.
If you have a leather gaiter around the gear shift i would fit the knob an run the cable inside the gaiter to the nearest switch for the illumination feed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If only the knob just prise up the gaiter from the bottom of the console and pull it over the knob,,give the collet nut a quarter turn and the knob comes off. the ashtray housing still needs to come out to get to the wires from the ashtray

The first post calls it a lever,,thats why I said what I did

OP
M

meb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cls 320
Thanks, so the illumination feed would come from the ashtray? How would it connect? Excuse my ignorance..!

How long should it take for a tech to do this do you think - less than 4 hours?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Illumination feed could come from the nearest illuminated switch it does,n t have to be the ash tray. When I fitted my electric rear blind it had about a metre of cable on the loom for the switch illumination, I cut off all but 6 inches of it and just looped it off of the nearest console switch using a solder sleeve.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Illumination feed could come from the nearest illuminated switch it does,n t have to be the ash tray. When I fitted my electric rear blind it had about a metre of cable on the loom for the switch illumination, I cut off all but 6 inches of it and just looped it off of the nearest console switch using a solder sleeve.

The ash tray is the first thing that you need to remove to get below,,so you may as well stop there and use that one

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I took mine to the nearest feed which happened to be a switch. Not to familiar with the CLS but surely the switches adjacent to the gear shift lever are still closer than the ash tray, regardless of wether you have to remove the ash tray or not I would just use the nearest illuminated item, as the shorter the cable the better.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I took mine to the nearest feed which happened to be a switch. Not to familiar with the CLS but surely the switches adjacent to the gear shift lever are still closer than the ash tray, regardless of wether you have to remove the ash tray or not I would just use the nearest illuminated item, as the shorter the cable the better.

The wood panels have to be lifted in order to get to the switches, and I think that the ashtray need lifting first

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom