Thumping Noise When Applying Brakes

achohan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Estate 7 Seater 2002
Hi there, I've just bought a E220 Estate on a 02 plate, its done 134k but has full service history. There are few issues with it, firstly theres a lound clunk when I apply the brakes that is coming from under the car, sometimes from the back, but also from the front. I know it had a set of new front disc's and pads recently. Also there is knocking noise coming from the front left suspension. Other than that its a lovely clean car that does more MPG than terrible Espace which died on me after two clutches, a turbo, gearbox and now requires a new engine..............

Any advice would be welcome? Thanks:lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum,, is this a knocking noise or a one time clonk when you apply the brakes

OP
A

achohan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the speedy response, its a one time clonk, sometimes very loud, othertimes its just a thud.:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your car does have SBC brakes,, that is the brakes are pressure fed from a pump,, the circuit does charge itself up from time to time when driving. Then again one of the calipers could be sticky. I think that I would ask a good indie of his view of it all.

The bottom swivel joint could be the cause of the knock left front, and once again I would ask an indie to check

OP
A

achohan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the info, is the pump the strange thing under the rear passenger seat, it looks fairly new and might have been changed recently. Thanks very much for the advice!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The SBC pump is under the bonnet,,and it runs as soon as you open a door. the clonk at the rear could be the sliding part of the caliper a little tight

OP
A

achohan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for all the feedback, any ideas as regards costs, my local mechan charges £30 per hour?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
depending what, if anything is seized. could take a couple of hours, or it may need new parts like calipers etc. since Malcolm (television) mentioned your car has SBC brakes, id be inclined to check that your mechanic is sure of how to work on the system correctly as this could potentially cause problems for all concerned! the system has to be disarmed, and im not sure but there may be a special way to bleed these brakes too. ive never come across it myself, yet!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
too hard to say,,it does not take very long to free up and check the rear calipers

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
rear end only id say half an hou to strip check and refit and another half hour or so to free off the slides etc. if a piston is seized, then thats a lot more time consuming, or a replacement caliper. id budget for a couple of hours and see what they say about it. if nothing is wrong, you should have the job done in an hour or so max id imagine. assuming bolts come out and arent seized etc

OP
A

achohan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks guys, the cars booked to go in tomorrow to an independent garage. I'll let you know the outcome incase it can help others. All the best!:lol:

OP
A

achohan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, believe it or not the thumping noise was coming from one of the rear brake calipers, one of the two bolts had taken a walk hence the caliper was moving around. Also the read disks were knacked and needed replacing along with two worn out front suspension bushes. Works all be done for just under £200.00. The car drives beautifully and the brakes are spot on. Many thanks for all your time guys. :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, believe it or not the thumping noise was coming from one of the rear brake calipers, one of the two bolts had taken a walk hence the caliper was moving around. Also the read disks were knacked and needed replacing along with two worn out front suspension bushes. Works all be done for just under £200.00. The car drives beautifully and the brakes are spot on. Many thanks for all your time guys. :lol:

We could not have guessed that one,,but that price was OK so happy motoring

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, believe it or not the thumping noise was coming from one of the rear brake calipers, one of the two bolts had taken a walk hence the caliper was moving around.

blimey! i wouldnt use whichever garage refitted them the last time then if there was a bolt missing! that could have been lethal! :shock::shock:

glad you got it sorted though and are back enjoying your car. :cool::cool:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom