Rust Horror in Spare Wheel Well

4D_Signs

Reaction score
As a result of having to change a tyre this morning I happened to notice a lot of rusty stains inside the spare wheel recess of my 2000 E320CDi Estate. on further inspection I have found that the panel is rotted through under the (bubbled) paint. I managed to push my finger through it in several places. Just above the curved part of the panel, which seems to be a sort of inner wing assembly, there is a plastic moulded grille with spring loded flaps. The rust seems to be emanating from the edges of this fitting. I examined the other side of the car and a similar thing is happening there. It seems the paint film around here is thin and lacks any serious coating of laquer (the stuff which protects from water) Surely this is a simple design error and as such is a built in problem! I don't know what these grilles do as they seem to vent straight out into the space between the inner and outer wings which I note are open at the bottom and have a lot of mud trapped up under them (another design flaw) I checked the drain bungs in the recess bases on both sides and thay are free and clean. the rust seems to all be higher up and no water is trapped by the bungs. The car has some minor rust on the O/S door corner and on the bonnet tips between the lamp cut outs I cannot see any other obvious decay.

Any suggestions as to best method of repairing this area?

There seems to be a lot of felt padding around too so welding could be hazardous.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I think in your case you may come under the 30 yr anti perforation rule ..as the rust has emanated from the inside of the panel, worth taking it along to a dealer and see what excuse they come up with.. for not repairing it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think in your case you may come under the 30 yr anti perforation rule ..as the rust has emanated from the inside of the panel, worth taking it along to a dealer and see what excuse they come up with.. for not repairing it

Good thinking batman :D:D I wonder what they will say

OP

4D_Signs

Reaction score
Non-OE BUT it all seems to be about a foot away and behind this perforation site. I'm fairly sure the problem stems from the silver paint not being laquered on the inside of the panel and the dribbles of water from the ventilator grille, or whatever it is, just running down this unsealed coating. There are a series of paint blisters all over the panel below this aperture on both sides of the vehicle. Could this be a quality control issue rather than a paint design failure? The appearance is almost as if the edges of the grille aperture were left raw! Have I got a rebuilt wreck that was "rear ended" and rebuilt. I have no evidence from the extensive paperwork but that is no guarantee.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It may be worth having someone look at your car, first and foremost a bodyshop and then possibly an approved Mb workshop, 'tho I would doubt if you would get any recompense .. But worth a try..

LYNALL

Reaction score
I bet mb will deny the claim because of the water leak from the tow bar assy if thats where it coming from.

Not sure on the estate but my saloon had two large holes cut in the rear for the strengthening brackets for the bar to bolt to.

Lynall

Attachments

• DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 22

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I bet mb will deny the claim because of the water leak from the tow bar assy if thats where it coming from.

Not sure on the estate but my saloon had two large holes cut in the rear for the strengthening brackets for the bar to bolt to.

Lynall

my car has a non genuine towbar fitted. it uses the original mounting points as far as i can tell though. as i understand it, they have to, to pass the safety tests (tuv etc) that have to be undergone in various countries, and for insurance now they must be BS approved otherwise using it wont be covered. its to prevent someone making their own towbar and it not being up to the job due to poorer materials used or poorer welding etc and the towbar fails!

LYNALL

Reaction score
I didnt mean the towbar itself, i meant the installation being poorly carried out allowing excessive water ingress.
This is how mine was until i binned it.

Lynall

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom