SL55 vs Brabus SL Ride Height Issue

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
Hi All, I have been away on holiday for a month and while away I left my car (BRABUS SL55 K8) with the MB Independent dealer to correct the ride height on the N/S front after the strut was changed, I wont bore all of the prior details as yet but I would like to know what the normal mesurement ride height is on a SL55 AMG so I can mesure it against my BRABUS tunel SL, my BRABUS has been fitted (from the BRABUS factory) the BRABUS Programmed Lowering module, this unit is installed by being soldered into the vehicles suspension ECU and lowers the car an extra inch below its lowest setting. Airmatic functions are still functional. the car will not drop lower than the lowest setting at speed.
Due to the drooping n/s front i was told that the all the suspension struts had to be done together, which i understand is correct, the problem is that i went to pick up the car yesterday and the whole car is now sitting higher that it was previously, the garage said that they only put in the cars paramiters on the star computer and did the "Rodeo" and that was it, but it appears the the Star system has over ridden the BRABUS Lowering Module setting as the car sits higher and they said that they cannot lower it any further as the star system does not allow it, is this true! if this is the case then perhaps they should have disconeccted the BRABUS Lowering Module then set it up using "STAR" to the SL55 AMG settings then reconnect the BRABUS Lowering Module, does my therory make sence?
they say that they do not know what the ride height of a standard SL55 AMG is to measure and compare it with to see how much out it is. I left the car at the Merc Independent to sort out

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Where are the measurements taken (wheel to top of wheelarch?, top of wheelarch to floor?, roof to sky?)?

Last edited:

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Only one place will know (Brabus) thats where to take it --I am surprised you trusted it to anyone else in the first place?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
70cm is the correct height for all the cars ,, we have another thread running on this issue

I believe that the lowering lowers by 2cm more for yours

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where are the measurements taken (wheel to top of wheelarch?, top of wheelarch to floor?, roof to sky?)?

You take them from under the edge of the wing, the only accurate place

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only one place will know (Brabus) thats where to take it --I am surprised you trusted it to anyone else in the first place?

there is NO BRABUS outlet in the UK, its all done by selected BRABUS certified MB Dealerships of which it has previously been to, they possibly had some 18 year old apprentice working on it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is your VIN number please as there is nothing in the standard WIS that mentions the Brabus lowering module

type49

Reaction score
The ride "height" is not actually measured. You place an inclonometer-which measures angles from the horizon (bit like a variable spirit level) on specific places on suspension arms & driveshafts. From these angles you can calculate the ride height. These are all entered in STAR, with the car's own ride "height" sensors (which give the ABC control unit a varying voltage) If these angles are not in spec, STAR will throw a little tantrum untill they are corrected. You indie sounds like they are doing it correctly. There may, however, be a way of "fooling" the system, I have never acually tried though. In theory, if the arms which hold the car's own sensors are adjusted (bent) at the same angle & new inclonometer figures overwritten, this may fool the system with the lowered ride height. Hopes this helps a bit with the understanding that ABC ride height is not just a 5 minute operation.

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ride "height" is not actually measured. You place an inclonometer-which measures angles from the horizon (bit like a variable spirit level) on specific places on suspension arms & driveshafts. From these angles you can calculate the ride height. These are all entered in STAR, with the car's own ride "height" sensors (which give the ABC control unit a varying voltage) If these angles are not in spec, STAR will throw a little tantrum untill they are corrected. You indie sounds like they are doing it correctly. There may, however, be a way of "fooling" the system, I have never acually tried though. In theory, if the arms which hold the car's own sensors are adjusted (bent) at the same angle & new inclonometer figures overwritten, this may fool the system with the lowered ride height. Hopes this helps a bit with the understanding that ABC ride height is not just a 5 minute operation.

Many thanks for your detailed info type49. does this then mean that "STAR" will try to correct the lowered height induced by the BRABUS Lowering module?

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
also, it it normal for the ride height to lower when vehicle is left stationary with the engine running after around 5 mins as this what happens to to mine, this has always been the case, even prior to this other issue.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have found nothing on STAR for your car,, in the USA many have their cars lowered, and there are modules for this,,I am sure that these modules must be copied from Brabus do let me have the next numbers on the VIN after 230 and I can do a detailed search

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
what is your vin number please as there is nothing in the standard wis that mentions the brabus lowering module

Hi Television thanks,

wdb230474*******

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Television thanks,

OK I have already checked and nothing in WIS for a lowered chassis.. nothing at all in the 2009 version for this car

You can remove the VIN in edit on your last post

A

andy@pcd-ltd

The way i have done it before is to disconnect the brabus lowering kit set up the suspension as per the merc settingsfor normal ride height and then plug the brabus kit back in and it should be fine that way

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I have already checked and nothing in WIS for a lowered chassis.. nothing at all in the 2009 version for this car

You can remove the VIN in edit on your last post

i cant see the edit facilty

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The way i have done it before is to disconnect the brabus lowering kit set up the suspension as per the merc settingsfor normal ride height and then plug the brabus kit back in and it should be fine that way

As type 49's post,,there is no real ride or standing height as such but we do know the 70cm from the wheel arch is the normal figure. I have been all through the whole thing this morning and as Willow132 this must be the only way to do it,,the module is not recognized as things are (is it plugged in) An Email to Brabus may give the answer.

You only have 2 hours to edit a post

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Is there any reason why this could not be extended to say 24 hours like most other forums
I expect it is a setting in the admin panel, it used to be shorter in the previous version IIRC. I don't have issues editing emails & vins at posters requests.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I expect it is a setting in the admin panel, it used to be shorter in the previous version IIRC. I don't have issues editing emails & vins at posters requests.

Thank you and I can mention this,, I am always asking for Email addresses when it is not in the profile,, life is so simple when the Email address is given,,they get the info before i post back

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom